PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Paintball Questions

Beemer
08-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Why was the SMG banned? More specifically Full Auto. What was its ROF?

How come after 20 years we still don’t have a Real Governing Body? Even Dodge Ball has a Governing body. What’s the problem?

What happened to the IPPA and why? If it didn’t disband why isn’t it active in today’s Paintball world?

Why are all the ones that cared and you could trust to set and follow standards leaving the Industry, or selling out.

What if I out play you and accidentally hurt you with a gun that doesn’t meet any kind of industry standards, will you sue me for my life savings? What if it does meet standards?
Guess I better renew my umbrella policy.

How long will the blimp really last?

Peace Out

http://home.comcast.net/~beemerone/AoIL.gif

Lohman446
08-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Let me add one more

If I do hurt you playing in addition to civil liability do I face criminal charges for my willful disregard of safety standards creating an obvious risk. Am I criminall negligent?

buzzboy
08-16-2005, 07:43 PM
I'm pretty sure FA was banned for many reasons. One there is more of a chance to bonus ball someone, and some people bruise easy. Two it takes all the skill out of paintball(same with ramping). Those are my guesses on that. Your other Qs stump me.

maglover728
08-16-2005, 07:51 PM
After talking about this with my local field owners it seems to have more to do with the insurance liability. Full auto in the minds of stupid America is BAD, AK-47's are BAD, (I own 2 for the hell of it and have never shoot anyone) and what ever else the media wants to be bad, will be after tonight’s news. Why does any one need FA anyway? There are guns out there with a 24 round burst. Manufactures have found many ways around the FA thing like Trigger bounce, programmable burst boards, ramping, etc.

Beemer
08-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Let me add one more

If I do hurt you playing in addition to civil liability do I face criminal charges for my willful disregard of safety standards creating an obvious risk. Am I criminall negligent?

Well you know now dont ya? Like me, when asked we cant say we dont or didnt know. There for we might be at a higher risk then the uneducated ones. Now have little Johnny ask his daddy if his premium is paid up

OneEyedPimp
08-16-2005, 08:38 PM
After talking about this with my local field owners it seems to have more to do with the insurance liability. Full auto in the minds of stupid America is BAD, AK-47's are BAD, (I own 2 for the hell of it and have never shoot anyone) and what ever else the media wants to be bad, will be after tonight’s news. Why does any one need FA anyway? There are guns out there with a 24 round burst. Manufactures have found many ways around the FA thing like Trigger bounce, programmable burst boards, ramping, etc.

$100 bucks says that you done own full auto Ak-47's.

JoshK
08-16-2005, 09:23 PM

Do you mean *don't*?

And those are good questions. I would like to know the answers also. I wonder if TK knows...

OneEyedPimp
08-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Do you mean *don't*?

And those are good questions. I would like to know the answers also. I wonder if TK knows...

Hundred bucks says no one on this forum has one.

JoshK
08-16-2005, 09:28 PM
You'd be surprised. Some of these people grade "A" nutcases. ;)

OneEyedPimp
08-16-2005, 09:41 PM
You'd be surprised. Some of these people grade "A" nutcases. ;)

Key words here: "Full Auto," there were barely any "Full Auto" Ak-"insert number here" ever imported. That with the 1986 law banning the new ownership of select fire/full auto guns made after that date, it is severly unlikely that anyone in here has one legally. I my self own an Ak-47 variant, but it is not full-auto or select fire.

slade
08-16-2005, 09:45 PM
he never said he owned full auto ak-47's. just two ak-47's.

NoForts4Me
08-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Another:

If I'm playing paintball against my 10 year old kid, and put several "welps" on him/her, is that child abuse?

OneEyedPimp
08-16-2005, 09:49 PM
he never said he owned full auto ak-47's. just two ak-47's.

Yeah, but the context of the conversation was that Aks and pball guns are bad because the are Full auto.

Recon by Fire
08-16-2005, 10:36 PM
I dunno' AK's are fairly abundant around here, full-auto ones at that, LOL. FA is just for those who cannot aim :)

Why not have FA paintball markers? They allow ramping and cheating, so why not? :nono:

OneEyedPimp
08-16-2005, 11:20 PM
I dunno' AK's are fairly abundant around here, full-auto ones at that, LOL. FA is just for those who cannot aim :)

So your in Iraq? :)

Evil Bob
08-17-2005, 04:14 AM
The Tipman SMG was banned for several reasons...

1) 62 cal in its initial release, which meant that the lower ball weight did not carry the round as far as what everyone else was shooting, so it tended to be used very up close and personal (translate into "caused pain").

2) Was very difficult to control the RoF when not in single shot mode, meaning it had a tendency to fire more rounds then the user intended, so overshooting was quite common.

3) The insurance companies didn't like numbers 1 and 2 above and decided that if coverage was to be continued, then said markers should not be used on the field they're providing coverage for.

When it later came out in 68 cal, alot of the close quarters situations dissappeared, but it still carried the stigma of being a "griefer's" weapon. Typically, the SMG'er would hold fire until they were right on top of someone then spray them down with 1 or 2 clips worth (5 rounds per stripper clip) as the SMG had a voracious appetite and a small magazine capacity.

-Evil Bob

gc82000
08-17-2005, 05:03 AM

I hope you soon will reatract that comment for I think that you do not personally know anyone that has served/ing or was wounded in the conflict. This is a very touchy subject for people especially those that resent the war but support those that are fighting for us.

killtheoldman
08-17-2005, 07:37 AM
insurance is ruining everything its a shame really but to own a field you need a legal degree and a indemnity clause printed on all of your paintballs

ok its a bit of an exaguration, but im concerned about our future shure where the number one grossing extreeme sport but for how long until the insurance regulations accedentally tighten a noose arourd our necks. Im a commercial insurance agent by day and a paintball player by night, I put on backyard ball games with me and my friends,until recently when my games started pulling in way too many people and im being forced to pick up some General liability which is going to put all kinds of restrictions on my game play.

GRRR!!!! but what can you do everyone is so sue happy here in louisiana. I dont mined getting the General libility its about time, however my concern is the restrictions it will put on my game. There are no observers allowed and no living structures within 2000 feet am i goint to have to put up netteting. I can afford that,

one more point, i sell insurance to a lot of artisan contractors and im watching the high cost and the legal requirement/restrictions put them out of business. You ever seen a grown man cry, I have in my office because there required to take out all kinds of insurance they cant afford and still stay in business.

Muzikman
08-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Why was the SMG banned? More specifically Full Auto. What was its ROF?

Because at the time they thought it was unsafe.

How come after 20 years we still don’t have a Real Governing Body? Even Dodge Ball has a Governing body. What’s the problem?

Because people are stupid? The problem is that there might be a governing body for dodge ball, but does that body regulate how you play in school or in your back yard?

What happened to the IPPA and why? If it didn’t disband why isn’t it active in today’s Paintball world?

IPPA did disban. They are no longer an organization. This happen back in the late 90's. For those that never heard of it, IPPA = International Paintball Players Association. Besides, IPPA didn't do crap for anything. It was a good idea that didn't hold up to their ideas (with no fault of their own).

Why are all the ones that cared and you could trust to set and follow standards leaving the Industry, or selling out.

Because stearing the industy is impossible. Most of the old timers see paintball one way while the new players see it another.

What if I out play you and accidentally hurt you with a gun that doesn’t meet any kind of industry standards, will you sue me for my life savings? What if it does meet standards?
Guess I better renew my umbrella policy.

I don't think it matters if the gun meets any standards. I think that if you hurt someone, even if accidentally, and the person wants to sue, they will. More thank likely they will win some kind of settlement.

How long will the blimp really last?

Well, as long as it can keep up with the speed of the guns, I think it will last a long time. It's a simple design.

Peace Out

Answers in Red.

Lohman446
08-17-2005, 09:29 AM
Muzik brings up a good point on civil liability. I don't think it matters if you were playing with a pump stock class marker - if someone is injured you likely face some civil liability. I think the liability may go up in cases where published safety standards were blatantly ignored and there may be some punitive damage considerations for the manufacturers, but you cannot completely protect yourself from civil liability where the basis of the sport is shooting a projectile at someone else.

That being said my concern is criminal liability... where I think disregard to published safety standards is indicative of a negligence that may be found criminal.

SCpoloRicker
08-17-2005, 10:37 AM
AK-47 people: take it to PMs or another thread (Friendly?) please. :)

MarkM
08-17-2005, 10:38 AM
I hope you soon will reatract that comment for I think that you do not personally know anyone that has served/ing or was wounded in the conflict. This is a very touchy subject for people especially those that resent the war but support those that are fighting for us.

You are a little off base here. Look at Recon by Fire's post again he is saying that FA AK's are where he is at...look at his location...currently Camp Slayer Iraq, so OneEyedPimp wasn't being disrespectful is any way, not as I read either post. I agree the subject can be touchy but often only when people read posts just a little too quickly.

Why not have FA paintball markers? They allow ramping and cheating, so why not? :nono:

rkjunior303
08-17-2005, 10:50 AM
a neighbor growing up here in MA had a select-fire AK-47.. That thing was fun to shoot -- but you couldn't for very long before it attracted too much attention.

Muzikman
08-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Another:

If I'm playing paintball against my 10 year old kid, and put several "welps" on him/her, is that child abuse?

I have always wondered about this. I always made it a point to not shoot kids in places that would welt. I always tried to hit guns, harness, foot, and even mask.

OneEyedPimp
08-17-2005, 11:58 AM

Actually, my best friends brother is currently deployed in Iraq. I said that because of where he put his location. It was not meant to be a joke. Just he said he was around a bunch of people with full auto AK's.

Beemer
08-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Because at the time they thought it was unsafe.

I think more like we found out and knew. The thinking ended when peeps were getting hurt.

Because people are stupid? The problem is that there might be a governing body for dodge ball, but does that body regulate how you play in school or in your back yard?

Of course not, but I want to play at a public field or a sanctioned tourny

IPPA did disban. They are no longer an organization. This happen back in the late 90's. For those that never heard of it, IPPA = International Paintball Players Association. Besides, IPPA didn't do crap for anything. It was a good idea that didn't hold up to their ideas (with no fault of their own).

Well go here http://www.allexperts.com/displayExpert.asp?Expert=51791 and ask Jessica if it disbanded and what the IPPA did. She Is one of the original founders. The question still is why did it fail?

hitech
08-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Well go here http://www.allexperts.com/displayExpert.asp?Expert=51791 and ask Jessica if it disbanded and what the IPPA did.

Okay, I did (sort of). I asked her what ever happened to the IPPA. I'll let you know what she says.

Rick-USA
08-17-2005, 07:55 PM
I can't speak of the whole industry but the logic around our field in regards to full auto, 3-6-9-whatever burst has nothing to do with overshooting or anything else while on the field. We are more concerned about what happens in the staging area. On the field everyone should be wearing a mask, in the staging area nobody is. All it would take would be somebody to move a gear bag against a full auto trigger and the stream of paint goes flying causing severe damage before anybody can get it back under control. If it's only a semi or even a ramping mode then there is but one ball coming down the pipe and getting caught by the barrell blocking device on the end.

That and our insurance won't allow the exotic modes of play. :)