PDA

View Full Version : Which one for Christmas?

theraidenproject
12-03-2001, 08:58 PM
Should I ask for the Proteus w/ Votex fan for $80, or Flex 7 w/ X-Wind fan for $55? The cost isn't a factor, as I'm asking for one or the other for Christmas. Please respond ASAP, I haven't asked for anything for Christmas, so I'm making my list ASAP. Thanks.

DrEvil
12-03-2001, 09:00 PM
I like the flex. my preferance thats all.

wicked_mag
12-03-2001, 09:19 PM
Yo haha same for me i can't decide between the two for christmas. I think i'm gonna go wit a regular flex 7 though becuz the proteus has bad chin protection and i heard the material it is made out of scratches real eazy

Riot[Z-Grip]
12-03-2001, 09:36 PM
You could always go with a third option of V-Force..... My Blue Mirror Morph is in the mail as we type.

-Pat

TheBigRaguPB4L
12-03-2001, 09:40 PM
i totally agree with riot. you can get a v-force mask for the same price as any fan. my v-force has never fogged on me and has great protection all around. jsut fyi.

MagMan5446
12-03-2001, 10:10 PM
The V-Force Morph is the best damn mask on god's green earth.

oneshot
12-03-2001, 10:43 PM
get the proteus , but without the fan , you don't really need the fan

DrEvil
12-03-2001, 10:50 PM
yeah i agree about not getting a fan. I ve never had a fogging problem with thermal lenses I dont recall any with the non thermals I ve had either. Blow the extra money on something else.

dawump
12-03-2001, 11:40 PM
I've never used the flex but do have the proteus. I like it alot. It does have a very small profile, the built in visor is very good at shielding light, and although I've never used the fan during a game ( because of the noise ) I really like having it there to cool me down when I'm in a goggles on area but not playing. It doesn't blow much, but just that little bit of fresh air makes all the difference.

I've never needed it for fogging issues - the mask doesn't fog.

The only thing I didn't like about it the first time I played was that the shiny black reflected the sun big time and gave away my position... or maybe I just sucked that day.

Before playing again I gave it a camo job, and now REALLY like it especially with my new camo skinz ;-)

Picture attached - including splatter..

wyn1370
12-04-2001, 07:48 AM
go v-force. I use my IZE as a looner to my non-equipment owning friends now that I got mine.

Temo Vryce
12-04-2001, 08:46 AM
The Proteus is a nice mask but it's a little small. I use a Diablo Skul myself which is a small mask and I find the Proteus a little small. JT IZE, well other than the cost factor I got put off JT mask by the X-Fire. It wasn't very comfortable but the new IZE is. The V-Force line is very nice but if you are looking at playing in tournements then you might want to go with a soft mask over a hard mask. The Soft mask will bounce balls more often than the hard mask. It hurts when it happens but you're still in the game. This just my $0.02 and I hope that it helps you out in deciding which mask is best for you. Honestly the best thing you can do is to find someone with each mask type and try them out for a game or two. Masks aren't like markers. If it doesn't feel right from the get go then you're not likely to get used to it. You're best off to get a mask that suits your playing style, Rec or Tourny, and fit your head comfortably. We can only sugggest the masks that we like and in the end it's up to you as to which one you like. Good luck in your decision. I hope that you get the one you want for Christmas.

[NA]WARLORD
12-04-2001, 12:44 PM
i personally use a flex-7 and cross wind, but if you sweat alot, i recommend a sweat band of some sort, this has virtualy eliminated all my fogging problems. and yes i do run thermals, only 1 system i ever used i didnt need a fan wis no longer in production and that was the Vents Preadator System, way ahead of its time!!!!

dawump
12-04-2001, 12:48 PM
Temo,

Yes the proteus is a small mask - and that is one of it's selling points in my mind. The first time I wore it I thought it was too tight, but it has loosened up.

Small mask = small profile = less hits. I saw a comparison where the proteus and the flex-7 were drawn over each other, and the proteus gave better protection everywhere except the neck where it is a little exposing.

Keith

toymyster
12-04-2001, 12:50 PM
Go to a store, try each one on, and opt for the most comfortable one!!

Rynoboy06
12-04-2001, 09:36 PM
I have a proteus. It fits the contours of my face, nothing extra hangs out to get shot. The first time I used it, it fogged worse than any mask I've ever seen, but that hasn't happened at all in the 60-odd hours of field time Ive had since then. I think it looks cool too.

Dayspring
12-04-2001, 10:34 PM
I say go with the Proteus. I can't speak for the other masks, but I played in July humid weather which turned to a downpour, and no fogging. Besides, you get to look like a Power Ranger like the rest of us Proteus owners.

C'mon, tell me you never thought about it!

RaV3n_Pa1ntba||
12-04-2001, 10:37 PM
YOU CAMO SPRAYED YOUR MASK, buahahahahahhahahahah thats the funniest stupidest MOST RETARDEST NEWBISH THING IVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. wow buddy you made my day. AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

have fun taking it apart and trying to get your mask cleaned off when you finally relize how stupid you were when you did that. (unless thats a fake pic and you didnt do it then maybe i will respect you a little more) but as of now buahahahahahahhahahahhaha

dorksquad55
12-04-2001, 10:55 PM
i say the proteus. i have a spctra with a fan, and the lense never fogs, its my glasses, so if u have glasses get a fan, but if u don't, don't bother with one.

ken fetsurka
dorksquad55@aol.com

MajorDamage
12-04-2001, 11:50 PM
V-Force Morph! DOLLAR BILL! And Pbgear has the proteus' on-sale cheap though. Like $50 without a fan and like $70 or $80 with one.

ENDO!

bunkerking
12-05-2001, 12:41 PM
go with the flex. I think that the proteus is ugly.

MikeCouves
12-05-2001, 01:58 PM
I think that the fans are kind of useless. You don't need it, but it supposed to be cool. I would definately get the Flex 7.

wicked_mag
12-05-2001, 02:08 PM
Yo raven paintball leave him alone just cuz he camo sprayed his mask it doesn't matter, its what he likes so who cares what u think

skipdogg
12-05-2001, 02:14 PM
Flex

wyn1370
12-05-2001, 02:29 PM
RaV3n_Pa1ntba||,
unless you forgot to read the rules, you should already know that flames are not allowed. opinions are welcome, name calling and general insults toward other members is a good way to get yourself banned.

Failure
12-05-2001, 02:30 PM
Raven where do you play man? I see you are from jersey. I also believe the word you were searching for was retarded, not retardest. Lol. Learn to spell before you insult people. You look extremely foolish. Don't worry about Raven, he has nothing to offer the forum besides stupidity and maruading the english language.

I wear the Grey Spectra IZE and they rule man. Never fog up, fit me perfectly, and look great. The lenses are scratch prone but other than that, the tinted lenses are better on my eyes. Only drawback is that they are $70.

dawump
12-05-2001, 04:36 PM
So just to clarify, RaV3n_Pa1ntba||, you think what I did was "RETARDEST NEWBISH"?

Thank you so much for this valuable insight.

Keith

AGDRules
12-05-2001, 05:16 PM
If you are going to say something like that keep it to yourself... you are new to the Forum as I can see but as another member said I would read the rules.. We dont like new guys making fun of people so leave him alone.. As for the camo, I think it was a pretty good job and its not half bad.. I honestly dont like rec so its not my style but its cool.

As for the mask issue I would go with the proteus.. I just like the look and feel of em. But try both on and see which one you like I wouldnt go with opinions over comfort level.
If the Proteus hurts your face or seems a tad to small buy a Flex 7 if it feels good and you like it get the proteus your choice..

ProjectMag
12-05-2001, 08:14 PM
Get the Proteus Chameleon Series at www.acepaintball.com. Pretty sweet if you ask me. :D

http://store5.yimg.com/I/acepb_1662_504933http://store5.yimg.com/I/acepb_1662_517179

PRO_Ski101
12-05-2001, 08:59 PM
I say GO PROTEOUS.I got one and THEY'RE SO SWEET.if u get tthe fan,it comes in REAL handy on hot day's and nights(espcially).Plus they look AWESOME!!:D

Failure
12-05-2001, 11:14 PM
I don't like the Proteus style, it looks to 'megamanish'

Dayspring
12-06-2001, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Failure
I don't like the Proteus style, it looks to 'megamanish'

My friends refer to it as the Power Ranger mask.