PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 pricing revealed

atm743
08-18-2005, 12:45 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/17/news_6131245.html

he 360 gets two spins: the $299 non-backwards compatible "Core System" and the $399 package with 20GB HD, controller, headset, HD cables, and remote control.

As the Big Three (Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo) planned their business tactics for the next-generation console wars, none have been willing to divulge their strategies, lest competitors get the scoop. All that was left was for industry media, fans, and analysts to speculate on what would be of the new consoles.

In its quest to get the console out in time for the holiday season, Microsoft hasn't exactly kept the shutters drawn on its secrets regarding its next-gen contribution: the Xbox 360. Pictures of the console surfaced before its debut on MTV, its name was exposed before the company could spin it itself, and the prospect of standard wireless controllers came with no strings attached.

Today, Microsoft laid down new facts about its upcoming console at the Games Convention in Leipzig, and they sounded awfully familiar to analyst predictions and forum posters' speculations.

Microsoft announced that the Xbox 360 will be released in two SKUs, the "Xbox 360 Core System" and the "Xbox 360." The two products will be sold at $299 and $399, respectively. The two systems break down as follows:

Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•Wired controller
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership
•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•20GB detachable hard drive
•Wireless controller
•Wireless Xbox Live headset
•High-definition AV cables
•Ethernet cable
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership

Peter Moore, Xbox corporate vice president of worldwide marketing and publishing, who spoke with GameSpot, reiterated that the Xbox 360 is still on schedule to launch simultaneously in North America, Europe, and Japan this holiday season. Details on the specifics of the Japanese release will be disclosed at this year's Tokyo Game Show, which begins September 16.

Microsoft has confirmed that the "Core System" will not be backwards compatible out-of-the-box. In order to play current-generation Xbox games, owners of the bare-bones system will have to purchase the detachable hard drive. It is unclear whether or not backwards compatibility will work with the smaller-capacity 64MB memory cards.

Moore explained that the idea behind the two choices came from "lessons learned from the first generation [of Xbox], but perhaps more importantly to provide the gamer with choices in pricing as applicable to their gaming habits." In addition, gamers will be able to select from a range of peripherals available at launch:

• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)
• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

It's too early to get a reaction from gamers on Microsoft's pricing plan, but a few analysts privy to the information were able to chime in with their thoughts.

One anonymous analyst who spoke with GameSpot said, "I think tiered pricing makes sense, particularly as Microsoft wants to offer hardcore gamers more-advanced services. $299 is clearly a price leader and headline grabber, but I imagine they initially expect to ship (and sell) a majority of units at the higher price point. Also, with a $299 SKU, they avoid disappointing consumers, who are likely to compare launch pricing with the PS2 in 2000 and original Xbox in 2001."

The analyst adds, "As far as the publishers are concerned, Microsoft needs to make sure that publishers are making games that can be played with or without a hard drive, and I think they are communicating this message."

Michael Pachter, of Wedbush Morgan Securities, wasn't as cheerful. He sees the $299 model as a "publicity stunt." "They're doing it to say they are launching at $299. The hardcore guys will absolutely not buy the $299 model...only a complete idiot would buy the $299 model."

Pachter references Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi's statement saying the PlayStation 3 would "be expensive" as an attempt to "psych Microsoft into charging $399." But, he sees the $399 price point as providing Microsoft with breathing room to lower the price once the PS3 is released, which is projected to be in 2006, or even 2007.

Regarding the release date, Moore said there have been no announcements made primarily for competitive reasons, but also because Microsoft was still monitoring the production flow of the console's components and localization of launch titles. "One thing we won't do is underserve the market and leave retailers high and dry. That never works. That just leaves more people who are P.O.'d at us than happy with us."

There are also still no games that are definitely launch titles. But Moore does outline the strategy Microsoft is approaching. "So much is going to happen in the next couple of months. My view is simple: You need to make sure that you have the key genres covered at launch. Take care of sports, racing, action adventure, fantasy, first-person shooters. I think there are check marks that need to go in boxes to make sure that gamers have games they are looking for in a particular genre. We're still tracking 24 to 40 Xbox 360 games for release before the end of the calendar year. I think you'll see that all the titles we got excited about at E3 are still firmly in that launch window [90 days from the release of the Xbox 360]."

But what about gamers who aren't ready to jump into the next generation? Moore seems pleased with the current success of the original Xbox and doesn't see any price drop with the console. "We're selling all we can get [made]. Our biggest challenge is to meet demand in what is typically a very quiet time of year. So, no, I don't see any plans to change any pricing as we currently stand on the Xbox."

Target Practice
08-18-2005, 12:50 AM
Screw that. There are better things to spend $400 on.

atm743
08-18-2005, 12:54 AM

really

im going to wait for it to drop down to like 300 or 250

really who would buy 299 one??

for 100 more you get the 20 gig hardrive and the wireless controller but really its going to be alot of $$

the games for this thing are now 59.99 for one game

now 49.99 for a game now is just plan stupid

Rather
08-18-2005, 02:01 AM
[Begin ban on microsoft games, regardless of how many classic game developers they buy out]

they can forget getting into my wallet if they are going to flat out steal from me with those prices. I like being mugged for games every now and again but DAMN!! no way im spending $60+tax on a game... even if it has fancy graphics, 30 mini games, online multiplayer, or anymore hot coffee mods....

:cuss:

bam wannabe
08-18-2005, 02:17 AM
[Begin ban on microsoft games, regardless of how many classic game developers they buy out]

they can forget getting into my wallet if they are going to flat out steal from me with those prices. I like being mugged for games every now and again but DAMN!! no way im spending $60+tax on a game... even if it has fancy graphics, 30 mini games, online multiplayer, or anymore hot coffee mods....

:cuss:

honestly. unless the game can make me hot chocolate in the morning and clean my room, im not spending that much.

im not even excited about the new xbox. im waiting for ps3... even that i wont get until it drops in price

atm743
08-18-2005, 02:25 AM
honestly. unless the game can make me hot chocolate in the morning and clean my room, im not spending that much.

im not even excited about the new xbox. im waiting for ps3... even that i wont get until it drops in price

haha same her other than the ps3

really the ps2 and xbox when they came out were compeating to be the best and really you cant beat microsoft with there 3.2 ghz prosecing and two cpu cells. custom ati card to sony's home made stuff

but we will find out iguess when it comes out

Mango
08-18-2005, 06:13 AM
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jtrussell7/greddy2.gif

Automaggot68
08-18-2005, 10:05 AM

Ain't that the truth.

Hookers and blow my friends.

Target Practice
08-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Ain't that the truth.

Hookers and blow my friends.

Guns and college, for me.

Echo419
08-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Guns and college, for me.All that for 400 :wow:

Fred
08-18-2005, 09:36 PM
psh, 400 was less than I paid per credit hour in college...

I'll be snapping it up, should have my pre-order in at Gamestop in the next few weeks.

I'm looking forward to seeing exactly what I'll be able to do with my mediacenter PC and the 360 linked up...

---Fred

Steelrat
08-18-2005, 10:41 PM
Are you guys kidding me? The Xbox was $299, and it didn't have the wireless setup this one has. Everyone wants the best system imaginable, but they arent willing to pay for it. Microsoft has taken a loss on EVERY xbox sold so far just to get in the market. Even at $399 I'm betting the margin is slim, with most of the profit from the line coming from the games.

Wait until you see the price on the Playstation 3.

Target Practice
08-18-2005, 11:16 PM
Are you guys kidding me? The Xbox was $299, and it didn't have the wireless setup this one has. Everyone wants the best system imaginable, but they arent willing to pay for it. Microsoft has taken a loss on EVERY xbox sold so far just to get in the market. Even at $399 I'm betting the margin is slim, with most of the profit from the line coming from the games.

Wait until you see the price on the Playstation 3.

I didn't buy an Xbox, either.

CaptaiN_JacK
08-18-2005, 11:51 PM
I didn't buy an Xbox, either.

Someone give this kid a goddamn prize, he deserves one.

OneEyedPimp
08-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Buy a PS3! Not to start a flame war, but that is the one I am going to buy first. THEN I am going to buy xbox 2(I refuse to call it 360).

ntn4502
08-19-2005, 09:38 AM
what kind of parent bring their children to that?

Ferox
08-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Buy a PS3! Not to start a flame war, but that is the one I am going to buy first. THEN I am going to buy xbox 2(I refuse to call it 360).

You people complain about the prices of the xbox 360.. Then wait till you see the price of the ps3 which wont happen to be out till late 06 or maybe even 07. By then all the old consoles will be phased out.. nobody will want a to play a ps2 anymore once the 360 is released. And nobody is going to want to pay upwards towards 600 dolloars for a Peice of **** 3.

So for all of you who are complaining about 400 lousy dollars... some of us really dont want to hear you complain when your cleaning out your pants because you just saw the price of the ps3..
Besides 400 dollars is cheap if you consider to get a pc that will play games along the same level of performance you would need to spend atleast 4k

bam wannabe
08-19-2005, 01:25 PM
You people complain about the prices of the xbox 360.. Then wait till you see the price of the ps3 which wont happen to be out till late 06 or maybe even 07. By then all the old consoles will be phased out.. nobody will want a to play a ps2 anymore once the 360 is released. And nobody is going to want to pay upwards towards 600 dolloars for a Peice of **** 3.

So for all of you who are complaining about 400 lousy dollars... some of us really dont want to hear you complain when your cleaning out your pants because you just saw the price of the ps3..
Besides 400 dollars is cheap if you consider to get a pc that will play games along the same level of performance you would need to spend atleast 4k

oh boy, i sense a flame war.

ps3 is coming out in the spring.
oh, and ps3 is better than xbox 360... technologically wise... and resolution wise.
xbox has a resolution of 720p/1080i output
ps3 has 1080p which is superior to the xbox360

dont get me wrong, i will buy the xbox 360. im just in no rush. hell, i dont even have a regular xbox. im just more amped about ps3... and i know it will be expensive. what isnt now-a-days

Ferox
08-19-2005, 01:29 PM
oh boy, i sense a flame war.

ps3 is coming out in the spring.
oh, and ps3 is better than xbox 360... technologically wise... and resolution wise.
xbox has a resolution of 720p/1080i output
ps3 has 1080p which is superior to the xbox360

dont get me wrong, i will buy the xbox 360. im just in no rush. hell, i dont even have a regular xbox. im just more amped about ps3... and i know it will be expensive. what isnt now-a-days

Sony hasn't set a release date yet and they origonally planed for early 2006.. but are still having problems with the cell processor. And its very expensive to build.

And from a technological standpoint it may have a small advantage..

As for the resolution.. personally i dont care.. those are just numbers sony is putting out there to grab attention.. the funny thing is even tho the ps3 is apparantly capable of 1080p there is currently no tv with the technology capable of showing 1080p resolution. And there are no signs of any coming out soon. So as far as things are currently the PS3 is no where near superior to the xbox360

bam wannabe
08-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Sony hasn't set a release date yet and they origonally planed for early 2006.. but are still having problems with the cell processor. And its very expensive to build.

And from a technological standpoint it may have a small advantage..

As for the resolution.. personally i dont care.. those are just numbers sony is putting out there to grab attention.. the funny thing is even tho the ps3 is apparantly capable of 1080p there is currently no tv with the technology capable of showing 1080p resolution. And there are no signs of any coming out soon. So as far as things are currently the PS3 is no where near superior to the xbox360

nowhere near superior, but still pretty much equals. im just gettin ps3 cause of the games scheduled for it... metal gear solid 4, resident evil 5... stupid crap like that

http://www.us.playstation.com/PressReleases.aspx?id=279

thats where i read the release date... might be outdated, but i havent seen any more recent

Ferox
08-19-2005, 01:41 PM
nowhere near superior, but still pretty much equals. im just gettin ps3 cause of the games scheduled for it... metal gear solid 4, resident evil 5... stupid crap like that

http://www.us.playstation.com/PressReleases.aspx?id=279

thats where i read the release date... might be outdated, but i havent seen any more recent

Yea.. To be honest.. nobody will be able to tell which console is better untill both are released onto the market and they can be pitted against eachother face to face..

The only thing people have to go on right now.. are numbers that have only been put down on paper. Benchmarks that only sony has apparantly seen.

I wont belive either is better untill i play both of them.

And it doesnt always matter which console is more powerfull.. its which has the best games and which is marketed better..

look at the Sega Dreamcast.. it outperforms the ps2 but it was marketed bad and look what happened. Personally i wish that wouldnt have happened. I loved my dreamcast and i loved the games that came out for it. it was an unbelivibly powefull console. they also pioneered online console gaming.. But alas.. a bad marketing strategy turned sega into a mere game developing company.

bornl33t
08-20-2005, 05:48 AM
so far no company has complained much about emulators. I bet MS will be pissed when they find out their games are being downloaded like Music CD's. Anytime these guys try to screw the consumer the consumer makes jihad on the company. I've never owned a console and pry won't ever, but 400$ for a gameboy on steroids is nutz. I wish I could predict wether or not this will sell or not? It could happen that MS has 6 and a half billion units for sale at christmas and they only sell a few thundred thousand. Wouldn't that be a kick in the nuts for Billy? It's unlikly, with all them rich brats out there nowadays, but the though is rewarding.

I'm still boycotting Smart parts so I'll leave this one to the gamers.

Steelrat
08-20-2005, 07:17 AM
so far no company has complained much about emulators. I bet MS will be pissed when they find out their games are being downloaded like Music CD's. Anytime these guys try to screw the consumer the consumer makes jihad on the company. I've never owned a console and pry won't ever, but 400$ for a gameboy on steroids is nutz. I wish I could predict wether or not this will sell or not? It could happen that MS has 6 and a half billion units for sale at christmas and they only sell a few thundred thousand. Wouldn't that be a kick in the nuts for Billy? It's unlikly, with all them rich brats out there nowadays, but the though is rewarding.

I'm still boycotting Smart parts so I'll leave this one to the gamers.

Screw the consumer? MS took at loss on Xboxs even at $299. I'm betting the $400 represents a small margin. You know, companies DO need to make profits, right? Why is MS taking a huge loss so funny? MS is a big employer in the US, and brings a lot of money over here. Thats good for the economy. Bill Gates has given a ton of his money to charity, and has pledged to give the vast majority away rather than leaving it as an inheretance. So why, exactly, are you so eager for him to get a "kick in the nuts."

Once again, the public demands a top-of-the-line gaming rig, but is unwilling to pay for it. :rolleyes:

Fred
08-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Oh, I'll most definitely be getting a PS3 as well, and I honestly expect it to be in the ballpark of 500 or up.

It's going to have DUAL HD outputs, I'll have to get another 52" TV so I can set them up side by side...

Video games in HD are amazing, I can't play HALO in normal viewing mode anymore... i get lost in the blurry...

The PS3 is looking like a "superior" system, but at this level of technology, the average consumer (and gamer) really won't be able to tell the difference on the screen. The games are what drive the system now, and personally, HALO 3, Perfect Dark Zero, and Gears of War are enough, each by itself, for me to get a X360...

but the FF series, by itself, and being able to play 7-whatever on the same system is amazing... so a PS3 will be in my living room.

Oh, and they'll both be linked to my gaming-box PC mediacenter as well... the networking features that are going to be available will blow your mind...

---Fred