PDA

View Full Version : Phantom questions

RedBeard
08-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Hey all,
I've been playing around with the idea of getting a phantom for a while now, but I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could anwesr.
First, when I talk to others, they have told me that phantoms are "the best" for pumps. Is that true? If so, why?
About how many shots do you get off a 12g cartridge? Now I know phantoms can be set up as stock class or to use a standard hopper and co2 bottle (I'm assuming they work fine on hpa as well?), so I'm guessing they don't have autotriggers?
I know these are basic questions and as to if they are the best pump is just really a matter of opinion, but any info that you can give is helpful.

Thanks

NewMagMan21
08-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Well...I just got one this March...and like you debated over whats the best...
Try here for all your questions, http://p080.ezboard.com/bphantomphorum75007
In my opinion they're the best...for one...Mike (the owner) is one of the most friendly/ helpful people you'll meet. The markers are all high quality, no real reason to upgrade them (maybe a 45* Grip)...but they are very accurate right out of the box...very smooth IMO, and are pretty simple (to me)...its just all around a great marker...now dont get me wrong the othe high quality pump are great but for your money the phantom I think is the best.
I would say you get about 30 shot from a 12 gram.
HPA willl work
Autotrigger = Hold trigger down and can just use pump to shoot quick? yes it has that
Basically like you said its just a matter of opinion...just so happends that a lot of peoples opinions are the same about Phantoms...
Hope I help

FSU_Paintball
08-19-2005, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't call them "the best" but they're my choice of pumps. Very light, high quality, very adaptable, and not too expensive. Plus Mike rules.

I think you can get at least 20 shots off a 12g

They do have autotrigger

HPA will work, but it's really designed to perform very well on CO2 at 280FPS

As far as switching around... not all phantoms are instant configurable to your choice of play style, you need certain bodies for certain configurations so you might want to buy extra pieces.

They're great

Muzikman
08-19-2005, 01:49 PM
For the price they are one of the best pumps you can get. They are cheap, simple, light, reliable, pretty light pump stroke, can convert from stock class to modified stock class to normal pump in the matter of minutes. I am sure there is more, but that's all I can think of right now.

You get about 20-25 shots per 12 gram

Work fine on HPA.

By nature, all nelson based pumps have Auto-triggers.

automikey
08-19-2005, 02:49 PM
I just got a phantom. The undercocking kits are expensive but really nice, I like mine. You won't need the autotrigger because the phantom is so accurate you'll hit your target on the first or second shot. Hence the point in getting the phantom.

Can someone mention some of the other pumps available, if you want to spend a little more?

Muzikman
08-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Well, if you want to stay in the Nelson Based line you have the Carter Collection (Pro-Comp and Buzzard)

If you want to move to Sheridan based pumps you have the Sniper (I / II /III) and Palmers

There is also Pumps such as the Sterling STP and AMP Illusion which are no longer made, but I am sure you can find used.

RedBeard
08-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the answers. I had planned on getting all the accessories so I could switch between stock and what not if I did get one.
Also, with stock class and using 12g's, does having some sort of stock actually help? That and what size barrel do most go with? I was thinking 11".
Last question, what's an undercocking kit?

The undercocking kits are expensive but really nice, I like mine.

Zygote
08-19-2005, 05:32 PM
I found I can't aim without a stock. I have an 11" barrel but there's no difference between the sizes as far as accuracy is concerned. If you play with inflatable bunkers you might want a 14". Undercocking kits put the pump below the barrel instead of around it. It apparently makes the pump smoother due to reduced friction.

Thanks for the answers. I had planned on getting all the accessories so I could switch between stock and what not if I did get one.
Also, with stock class and using 12g's, does having some sort of stock actually help? That and what size barrel do most go with? I was thinking 11".
Last question, what's an undercocking kit?

firebanex
08-19-2005, 08:56 PM
I love both of my phantoms, both are VSC w/ 45 grip, tho one has a t stock, they are very light and very straight shooting with the stock barrel.

as for effiacncy off a 12gram I get about 35 good shots and upwards to 50 total shots, course the last 7 or so arn't worth much.

the 14 in barrel will just lower your 12gram effiacny a tad from the 11 in. I would stick with an 11, its just about the perfect size on a phantom.

stocks really help with your stability when aiming and make it seem more accutate but I perfer not to use a stock cause they are unwieldy for me and don't feel right for me. its really personal preferance with stocks but They are nice.

undercocking kits puts the pump under the barrel. not wraped around it like the stock pump, kinda like a sniper or illusion pump.

yingyang
08-19-2005, 10:12 PM
i just got my vsc phantom today, and fee in love. Nice pump motion, super accurate, not complicated, comfy even without stock. go for a phantom for sure.