PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Windows ME

sajohnston
12-04-2001, 08:18 AM
Just got a new rig put together-

- 1.4 AMD, 512MB PC2400, 2x60GB IBM 7200s, Asus GeForce3, Hercules Game theater sound card/breakout, TDK 24X CDRW running windows ME.

The first thing I do is install Norton Utilities, Zone Alarm firewall and my ADSL software. I hit the net for updates to norton's, no problem. Next I go to windows update and here is where my troubles begin...

- I download all the critical updates and they install just fine.

- When I try to install directx 8.0A or Internet explorer 6 the install hangs at about 73% installed for IE6 and never "self extracts" for directx at all. My antivirus is disabled during my attempts.

- Just tried to install IE6 from this month's Maximum PC CDROM, same issue. It says that it couldn't copy a file, click OK to retry. I do and it hangs at 73% just the same.

Any suggestions? This is really ticking me off with a system this high end. Thanks for your help!

Steve

Temo Vryce
12-04-2001, 11:41 AM
You could try Backing up all your data and Fdisking you hard drive format and then install everything again one thing at a time. You might want to leave Norton for last. I don't know if this will work or not but you can try it out if you like.

FeelTheRT
12-06-2001, 02:06 PM
a GeForce 3?? i wouldn't think anyone is that crazy to get one..

Win ME blows, get a copy of 98 or 2k from a friend. you will be much happier. Get Win XP if u can too, that's a really nice OS. BTW, what kind of DSL do u have? Is ur's a PPPOE connection? If it's a PPPOE, thne u won't even need ur software if u get Win XP. It's built in, it's nice.

Potatoboy
12-06-2001, 02:25 PM
You must upgrade to either Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The 9x Family (including ME) does not have very good support for RAM configurations 512 MBs or higher. In this article from the MS Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q253912 you will see that 512MB should be a fine amount but in my experience it doesn't even handle 512 correctly. This may be your problem. You may also have a physical problem with your memory. If you purchased it from a local store you may want to try replacing the memory before anything else. If you need any more help let me know. I'm a certified professional geek.

Miscue
12-06-2001, 02:57 PM
This may not help your problem, but you should do anyway:

Ditch WinME. Install Win98SE or XP. Ditch Norton, he's one bad juju daddy. Do not install utility type software that make modifications to your OS. You do not need them in the first place.

Failure
12-06-2001, 03:45 PM
N/M

edweird
12-06-2001, 09:51 PM
Microsoft ME is a plague on humanity, I think that bill gates ought to personally come to each and everyones house and appoligize for spreading this infection. I got so fed up that I retired my computer, stole a pack of post it notes, numbered them from 90 something down and counted down until I could buy Windows XP. God I love XP and I never have to see kernel32.dll or DOS again.

Microsoft = Evil Empire

Army
12-06-2001, 10:57 PM
I have ME and couldn't be happier...................

bornl33t
12-07-2001, 03:42 AM
ME? there's no help for you. If you haven't noticed... they pulled ME from the self withing 2 days of realeasing XP. Xp isn't perfect, but MS knew they screwed up with ME and tried to but that skeleton in the closet.

sajohnston
12-07-2001, 06:12 AM
I play too many games so NT and 2000 are out right away. Until more drivers are released for XP I will wait on it as well. I will try to restore ME but I have 98SE on hand should that fail.

I think the trouble is damage to my video card during shipping. The CPU heatsink/fan (one of those large coke can shaped double fans for up to 2ghz) fell off right on top of my Geforce 3 card. Of course it bounced and slid around there before finally settling at the bottom of the case.

The first 6 or so boots I was only able to get Safe Mode to boot and I had a lot of video "noise" through two monitors I tried. I started deselecting items through msconfig to identify the conflict and it came down mostly to video driver stuff. I notice the physical damage to the video card, uninstalled it, dropped in a 64MB Radeon I have on hand and presto, no video noise, and the system boots ok. I still get lock-ups, etc, I think they are corruption leftovers from the damaged Geforce not allowing proper boots the first few times. I am going to reformat and see how it works out.

Thanks for the help!

Steve

Potatoboy
12-07-2001, 08:13 AM
Just a side note, I've played many games under 2000. Everything works just fine. It fully supports DirectX and is just an all around more stable platform.

sajohnston
12-07-2001, 09:02 AM
PotatoBoy you are the first person I know that games under 2000. While shopping for a force feedback wheel/joystick it seems like none comply w/ 2000. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from NT4, we used to run it for our Dept of Defense LAN. The no USB support, etc really got under my skin. We have since converted to 2000 and it performs well.

It has been 5 yrs since I messed with a reformat and I am a little reluctant to since I am running twin 60GBs under a Raid 0/Span setup. I have had too many beers to try it now (LOL) that I will probably have one of my commo GURUs over for lunch tomorrow to help me out.

Potatoboy
12-07-2001, 09:10 AM
Call me a freak but I game under 2000 Pro while serving 25 gigs of mp3s off to the rest of my in house LAN.

Failure
12-07-2001, 10:20 AM
He isn't the only win2000 gamer. I run WinXP, which is windows 2000 with some pretty eye candy Gui and some other features. They run off of the same kernel. Let me tell you something, I got a 25 fps increase when switching from win98 to winXP. I have crashed winXP since I got it but not as bad as win98. I just got sick of reinstalling win98 every 3-4 months. Thats so lame when you have to do that. Everyone knows that the win9x OS's are bad. As for drivers in winXP, do your homework. You would be hard pressed to find a lacking driver. In a few months all will be solved if you don't have the ones you need. Another little hint for you. Windows 2000 drivers work in winXP :)

sajohnston
12-07-2001, 10:39 AM
I am glad to hear good things about XP. I am reluctant to run out and add to the Bill Gates empire, and I take what I read in magazines with a grain of salt- spend $$$ on adds and we kiss your rear. I will do some snooping for XP this weekend.

Failure
12-07-2001, 04:18 PM
If you do get Xp, get the upgrade version for $100, provided that you have a previous windows version cd.

XspyX
12-07-2001, 04:47 PM
Yea, get XP. You will be happy :cool:

pumpamatic
12-07-2001, 11:55 PM
I've been using ME for almost a year, not any problems too incredible. I'm also not a hardcore computer geek, and don't intend to be. Of course, all computers work flawlessly until your warranty runs out.

FooTemps
12-08-2001, 12:01 AM
I will be playing with 2000... I have yet to install it...