PDA

View Full Version : Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Automaggot68
08-23-2005, 12:57 AM
'I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attacked ships on fire....off the shoulder of Orion....I've seen....C-beams, glisten in in the darkness at the Tan Hauser gate....all these...(choke) moments will be lost....in time....like...tears...in..the rain........Time......to die"

One of the greatest movies I've ever seen.

Cameo
08-23-2005, 01:06 AM
Mechanical sheep...

Automaggot68
08-23-2005, 01:07 AM
Mechanical sheep...

Google it.

Steelrat
08-23-2005, 06:17 AM
Google it.

Bladerunner is easily my favorite movie of all time.

Tyrell: Is this to be an empathy test? Capillary dilation of the so-called blush response? Fluctuation of the pupil? Involuntary dilation of the iris?
Deckard: We call it Voigt-Kampff for short.
Rachael: Mr. Deckard, Dr. Eldon Tyrell.
Tyrell: Demonstrate it. I want to see it work.
Deckard: Where's the subject?
Tyrell: I want to see it work on a person. I want to see a negative before I provide you with a positive.
Deckard: What's that going to prove?
Tyrell: Indulge me.
Deckard: On you?
Tyrell: Try her.

Jaan
08-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Did any ya'll notice that in the film all the replicants had eyes that reflected like a cat and none of the humans did ... and Deckard's eyes glowed like that?

Muzikman
08-23-2005, 09:05 AM
hmmm...Electric Sheep. I wonder if they put up less of a fight. Might have to let Load know about these.

(let's see if he reads every thread and finds this :) )

Jeffy-CanCon
08-23-2005, 09:40 AM
A blast from the past.

A good book AND a good movie, though not exactly the same story, IIRC. Haven't seen/read in 20years. Most of the best sci-fi doesn't translate directly to film, but it's always nice when a story is adapted so that a cool premise and characters can be shared with the masses.

bofh
08-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Google it.

Not that
Interesting. (http://images.google.com/images?q=Mechanical%20sheep&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&sa=N&tab=wi)

:)

Steelrat
08-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Did any ya'll notice that in the film all the replicants had eyes that reflected like a cat and none of the humans did ... and Deckard's eyes glowed like that?

Ridley Scott recently confirmed what was always suspected, that Deckard was, in fact, a replicant. There were always lots of little clues, but no one was ever 100% sure.

A good book AND a good movie, though not exactly the same story, IIRC. Haven't seen/read in 20years. Most of the best sci-fi doesn't translate directly to film, but it's always nice when a story is adapted so that a cool premise and characters can be shared with the masses.

The book is a LOT different than the movie. Also harder to follow.

This film has stood the test of time very well. Its always been my favorite, due to the acting, special effects, story, and great soundtrack by Vangelis, one of my favorite artists.

SCpoloRicker
08-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Wait.... Steelrat, I know that the one of the main goals of the Directors Cut was to suggest that Deckard is a rep. Hell, I wrote a paper in college on how its suggested.

But to my knowledge, Ridley has not directly come out and stated it.

1. If you're not cop, you're little people

2. I've got *6* skinjobs for ya, Deck. (stretch)

3. Piano scene

4. Unicorn dream sequence

5. photo scene

6. The eye thing

7. Climbing the outside of the building (stretch)

8. Origami left behind

9. Then again, who will?

Phillip K. Dick is one of my favorite authors. I'd highly recommend The Man in the High Castle, VALIS, Counter-Clock World, and many others.

His novel A Scanner Darkly, also excellent, is in production right now. DP/Director is the guy who made Waking Life, which has a very unique CG filter that looks "cartoonish". Starring Keanu "WHoaa" Reeves, Woody Harrelson, Winona Ryder, and Robert Downey Jr.

/sci-fi nerd

matt-o
08-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Ridley Scott recently confirmed what was always suspected, that Deckard was, in fact, a replicant. There were always lots of little clues, but no one was ever 100% sure.
whoa, thats a big one ill have to watch it again soon with that in mind. is he a replicant without a set time to die like rachel then?

blade runner is one of my favorite movies after only three kings and maybe traffic

that new movie 'the island' reminded me of blade runner even though it was one of the worst movies i have ever seen. i kinda thought that it was like blade runner except from the replicant's point of veiw. that being said i remind you it was one of the worst movies ever.

SCpoloRicker
08-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Rachel and Deckard both have the normal three year operational time. The line "She wouldn't last anyways. But then, who does?" (bad paraphrase, sorry) is a giveaway.

Presumably, they ran off to Canada. Dirty hippies. :p

Steelrat
08-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Ridley Scott comes out of the closet (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/825641.stm)

Automaggot68
08-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Rachel and Deckard both have the normal three year operational time. The line "She wouldn't last anyways. But then, who does?" (bad paraphrase, sorry) is a giveaway.

Presumably, they ran off to Canada. Dirty hippies. :p

Its too bad she wont live....but then again--Who does?

That was the quote.

Automaggot68
08-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Ridley Scott comes out of the closet (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/825641.stm)

Ryan using google FTW.

SCpoloRicker
08-23-2005, 02:10 PM

*shakes fist*

Steelrat
08-23-2005, 02:30 PM
"Conan, what is good in life?"

"TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, TO DRIVE THEM BEFORE YOU, AND TO HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN"

I win ;)

Hexis
08-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Actually:

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

You lose.

Cool trivia:

Conan's response to the Mongol General is an abbreviation of a real quote attributed to Gengis Khan: "The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

matt-o
08-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Its too bad she wont live....but then again--Who does?

That was the quote.
i could swear that somewhere in the movie they said that rachel lad no limit to her life
**edit** maybe it was in the harrison ford voice over in the end?

splatterbrain
08-23-2005, 06:44 PM
'I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attacked ships on fire....off the shoulder of Orion....I've seen....C-beams, glisten in in the darkness at the Tan Hauser gate....all these...(choke) moments will be lost....in time....like...tears...in..the rain........Time......to die"

One of the greatest movies I've ever seen.
Senor Automaggot68 Please check your PM's. Thank's

Jaan
08-23-2005, 06:55 PM
i could swear that somewhere in the movie they said that rachel lad no limit to her life
**edit** maybe it was in the harrison ford voice over in the end?If I remember correctly, that was the original "happy ending" the studio wanted and not the directors cut ending.

Lee
08-23-2005, 07:01 PM
bleeting and babbling they fell on it's neck with a scream......

sheep.

matt-o
08-24-2005, 11:32 AM
If I remember correctly, that was the original "happy ending" the studio wanted and not the directors cut ending.
yeah, probably. i dont really remember the differences between them well, but that would make sense.

Rooster
08-24-2005, 10:14 PM
I understand the imagery and how that would suggest Deckard isn't human, but that opens a ton of plot holes on its own. He apparently had a history hunting replicants, as evidenced by his interaction with the police. If he landed at the same time as the others, he wouldn't have had a chance to build a repor. I understand the memories can be implanted in a replicant, but they can't be in the police investigator. By the same token he has an apartment, that is full of a large amount of stuff, the rest of them are living hand to mouth on the streets. Why does he get his but kicked by the replicants he fights? He should be as strong as they are. The replicant breaks his fingers so he can't shoot, yet the replicant drives a nail through his own hand just to stay a wake. Two broken fingers shouldn't have slown him down.

I like the idea, but I think it was better left as a mystery, to blur the lines between what is human and what isn't. To state he isn't human opens the door to far too many problems that should have been thought out by the writer. It makes me think its a stabat creating controversy, and not an actual part of the movie.

Steelrat
08-24-2005, 10:40 PM
I understand the imagery and how that would suggest Deckard isn't human, but that opens a ton of plot holes on its own. He apparently had a history hunting replicants, as evidenced by his interaction with the police. If he landed at the same time as the others, he wouldn't have had a chance to build a repor. I understand the memories can be implanted in a replicant, but they can't be in the police investigator. By the same token he has an apartment, that is full of a large amount of stuff, the rest of them are living hand to mouth on the streets. Why does he get his but kicked by the replicants he fights? He should be as strong as they are. The replicant breaks his fingers so he can't shoot, yet the replicant drives a nail through his own hand just to stay a wake. Two broken fingers shouldn't have slown him down.

I like the idea, but I think it was better left as a mystery, to blur the lines between what is human and what isn't. To state he isn't human opens the door to far too many problems that should have been thought out by the writer. It makes me think its a stabat creating controversy, and not an actual part of the movie.

They knew they were replicants, he didn't.

In the end, I wish he hadn't been a replicant. I actually enjoyed the storyline more with him just being a burnt-out cop.

matt-o
08-25-2005, 09:24 AM
it was better left open i think, it helped to make the rest of the replicants seem more human

Rooster
08-25-2005, 07:35 PM
"They knew they were replicants, he didn't."

That doesn't close the plot holes.

Cameo
08-25-2005, 10:09 PM
Sorry never saw the movie, but i am sure i have it in my collection.. have alot of movies like that (gotta love fathers who buy you movies)...

anywho
Mechanical Sheep is merley what I thought would be a cool name for a band.. the whol electric sheep thing reminded me of it, and being that i am utterly bored at this point in my life i felt the need to waaste 60 seconds to post those two simple words...
maybe i should go watch the movie now and shut up..

Steelrat
08-25-2005, 10:12 PM
"They knew they were replicants, he didn't."

That doesn't close the plot holes.

Him being one of the 6 who came down in the ship is an assumption. Scott never said he was one of those, just that he was a replicant.

And the cops could have been going along with the whole charade, just like Tyrell did with Rachel.