PDA

View Full Version : Google Talk released

BobTheCow
08-23-2005, 11:05 PM
And so Google takes another step towards global domination. Or at least cool internet stuff.

http://www.google.com/talk/

WenULiVeUdiE
08-24-2005, 12:18 AM
Heh, I saw this on Attack of the Show, sort of. She mentioned they would be releasing an INstand Messaging program tomorrow (today) and something else, which I forget.

Maggot6
08-24-2005, 07:41 AM
Now only if I could get a gmail account...

Chipper
08-24-2005, 07:51 AM
Now only if I could get a gmail account...
Same here....

Dayspring
08-24-2005, 08:36 AM
PM me your email addresses. I'll send you each an invite.

BobTheCow
08-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Or me! Heh, they're a dime a dozen nowadays.

WenULiVeUdiE
08-24-2005, 11:46 AM
I've had fifty invites for months now. I never use that account anyway.

Bolter
08-25-2005, 05:56 PM
You can creat an account by going to their site, or have someone invite you.

I have 50 invites by the way, and everytime I use one, it regenerates in a few days.

personman
08-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Way to promote a feature that has been available on AIM and just about every other instant messaging program for years, google...

BobTheCow
08-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Give it time :) It's still in beta, once everything's incorporated successfully that is supposed to be, I have faith that Google will take over. Year or two, maybe?

WenULiVeUdiE
08-25-2005, 07:33 PM
No, it will not. Email based instant message programs have never been too papular. Email based meaning you must sign up for their email service to join.

Then again, I do not know if this is email based...

BobTheCow
08-25-2005, 08:13 PM
No, it will not. Email based instant message programs have never been too papular. Email based meaning you must sign up for their email service to join.

Then again, I do not know if this is email based...
You have to be signed up for gmail to use google talk, but honestly, who doesn't have gmail? It's clearly the best free choice right now, and I don't see that changing. Even if people don't wanna actually change from whatever e-mail client they use currently, it's easy enough to create a spoof gmail account simply for the purpose of getting into google talk. Again, this is nothing right now, but give it a year or two and I think it will have taken over.

personman
08-25-2005, 08:39 PM
I seriously doubt this will ever take over.
Look at yahoo messanger. Yahoo had pretty much a monopoly on the free email service for QUITE a while as the most well known or what not. And NO ONE uses yahoo messanger. More people tend to use the MSN Messanger because it comes with windows, but AIM is and probably always will be (until they decide to start charging people or something) the most popular instant messanger service. I dont have gmail. I dont want gmail. I dont want gtalk. I want my emag back.

:p

WickeDKlowN
08-25-2005, 08:44 PM
I don't see why everyones so hyped about this, it's nothing special. I tried it, and personally, I think it sucks. There's no difference between this and the 8 other IM clients available.

slade
08-26-2005, 01:05 PM
I don't see why everyones so hyped about this, it's nothing special. I tried it, and personally, I think it sucks. There's no difference between this and the 8 other IM clients available.
but... its google... :(

heh, i downloaded it and i have one person i know who uses it. and i havent talked to him yet.

xmetal2001
08-28-2005, 09:44 PM
It was hyped because usually when Google releases something like this, it blows away the competition. Google Talk does not. It's underdeveloped and would be at home in 1996.