PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE needing advice!!

Langjai147
08-24-2005, 01:19 AM
hey everyone! im starting to get into paintballing, but i have always been interested since i was as young as can be...ive been paintballing a few times with rented equipment when i was 12 but i havent gone since...i remember using a "stingray" man that was a peice of crap...ANYWAYS...i recent bought an automag classic off of ebay for $100 and i want to upgrade it to a moderate level...i dont need it to be professionally decked out but just nice enough for me to use comfortably. The internals are completely stock, it came with a VL fore grip, and aftermarket barrel.

i've been looking at what type of upgrades there are, but not sure what would be right for me. i do not want to be wasting my money.

i plan on playing a few times a month, with this in mind as well as some reviews of the stock gun i was thinking i would want to upgrade the body to an ULE body or powerfeed body (right hand shooter), double trigger frame, possibly a new level 10 bolt, gas through grip, etc., and i want to use compressed air as oppose to co2

does this sound ok for a beginner? what else do i need? what products do i need to maintain the gun before and after playing? and what equipment do i need on the field other than the obvious?

*please help me out..im just trying to get started out on the right foot, not trying to be a hard *** with a paintball gun...just trying to gain knowledge to have fun...

Jaan
08-24-2005, 07:32 AM
All that sounds pretty much right on. Level 10, Intelliframe (double trigger), and maybe a different body. Keep in mind if you get a ULE aluminum body you'll have to get another barrel, since they don't use twist lock barrels but Autococker barrels. Personally I think the stainless steel classic powerfeed bodies are just fine, and they're tough as nails too.

Arstron
08-24-2005, 08:57 AM
Ok, I had a nice long reply made up suggesting you to go ahead and get the ule body and other stuff but have changed my mind. This would be your best route of upgrades for the time being.

Powerfeed standard or minimag body (your choice) $15-$30
45 degre AGD Intelliframe, AGD Y-Frame, or RPG Chimera or logic vertical frame $80-$140
Pure Energy preset tank rebuilt to be preset at 900psi (there is a guy on ebay that if you buy the tank he does it for free)
As for the foregrip, RPG has a 15* asa adapter that you can attach to your rail, you can then get any screw in gas thru foregrip, your other options is to get either a vertical adapter that will work the same way, or the RPG stick grip which is vertical.

Other then that, I wouldnt do anything else. When you got ready to upgrade to the xvalve and ule body, you can buy complete RT ULE marker for around $350-$400. If you get it with the single trigger its quite a bit cheaper and you can then switch the trigger frames off of your 2 mags and have a very nice marker. You can then either sell the classic or keep it as a backup, you shouldnt have any problems getting $100 back out of it.

Check out these sites for the aftermarket parts I talked about.
http://www.logicpaintball.com/
http://www.themagsmith.com

Langjai147
08-24-2005, 12:02 PM
i was looking at the AGD website last night and was reading about the warp feeder long with the ULE warp body. Right now there is a special for $145 and it comes with a free warp feeder and i currently have a Richocet hopper. Would that WARP ULE body be a good investment? or should i just stick with a powerfeed body and buy that ULE body later? where can i find a minimag powerfeed body? ive done a search online but nothing comes up, and i have looked on the AGD website as well. What are some advantages or disadvantages of using a vertical trigger frame or 45 frame? or are the style of frames totally arbitary? i have tons of ther questions but ill save them for later.

Arstron
08-24-2005, 01:10 PM
i was looking at the AGD website last night and was reading about the warp feeder long with the ULE warp body. Right now there is a special for $145 and it comes with a free warp feeder and i currently have a Richocet hopper. Would that WARP ULE body be a good investment? or should i just stick with a powerfeed body and buy that ULE body later? where can i find a minimag powerfeed body? ive done a search online but nothing comes up, and i have looked on the AGD website as well. What are some advantages or disadvantages of using a vertical trigger frame or 45 frame? or are the style of frames totally arbitary? i have tons of ther questions but ill save them for later.

For the time being, I would stick with a powerfeed body, you could go ahead and buy the warp body and warp feed for $145, but if you ever decided to upgrade to an x-valve, then you are looking at $200 (used) for that and for 345 you could have a complete gun. Buying a complet gun is cheaper then peicing one together, if you want to get it peice by peice that is fine also.

As for the trigger frame, the only diffrence is how they feel. They all shot the same, some are lighter then others, I think the chimera is the lightest. I just switched from using a 45 degree frame to the chimera vert frame and it feels alot better. All of the frames I had listed are great though and the trigger pull should be the same on all of them. You wont find any new minimag bodies, but there are some used ones. If thats the style you are looking for I do have one that im getting ready to sale, pm me if you are interested in that.

The major upgrades to a mag is the trigger frame and trigger, a new valve, level 10, ULE trigger pull kit, ULE body and rail. Anything else is going to be personal prefrence and looks. What other questions do you have? If you have any questions you dont want to ask here, feel free to pm me and ill answer them.

Langjai147
08-24-2005, 01:36 PM
is your minimag power feed body for a right handed shooter? where did you get your chimera vert trigger? did you buy a new rail with it as well? i dont want to spend more money than i have to cuz then i should have just bought a new gun, but i figure if do little mods here and there myself i will learn more a bout the gun itself as oppose to spending money with everything i want already on there. do you know of a good website on how to disassemble? how do i clean the gun after use? what products do i need? oils? brushes? do i need to worry about timing after the bolt is installed? have you heard of the q-loader? and if you have what do you think of it? i read on the AGD page that the ULE trigger pull kit is not designed for an automag classic....did you see that too? or is there away to install it on a classic?

bleachit
08-24-2005, 01:37 PM
powerfeed bodies are old, and result in a mag being side heavy.. not very comfortable. look for a stainless steel vert body.

like this http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=423&categoryID=10

or this
http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=278&categoryID=10

they take twist lock barrels, they make centerfeed barrels, but I have noticed that side feed barrels can work, but just not locked in. if you can find em used, they will be cheaper than a ULE

much more balanced than a side or powerfeed body would be...

for the most part, all you need to do is drop some oil in the asa, I believe, and gas er up. as far as dissasembly.

http://www.airgun.com/manual.shtml

I assume you have a 68/mini/classic mag, so pick that diagram

after degassing and while dissasemling it, make sure you pull the trigger rod after the tank is off and be very careful, the on/off assembly can shoot out of the valve, causing you to loose parts and potentially injure yourself, such as your eyes.

it is possible to use a ULE trigger kit on a classic, but its not designed nor recommended by AGD for use on it. also, it can only be installed on certain valves.. although what the requirement is I dont remember. something about the On/off assembly I believe

bleachit
08-24-2005, 01:56 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182197&highlight=vert+body ULE body for $80

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=155104

or you can contact Luke and he can mod your current body into an offset vert feed.

check the dealers forum here and the classifieds. you will see most of the upgrades available for mags in dealers forum, and find cheap mag parts in the classifieds.

Arstron
08-24-2005, 02:03 PM
is your minimag power feed body for a right handed shooter?

***I will have to lookat it when i get home to be sure.

where did you get your chimera vert trigger? did you buy a new rail with it as well?

***I got it from themagsmith.com, I bout the frame, and an RPG exile body all at the same time from them, but got a RPG shadow rail from somone else off of here.

i dont want to spend more money than i have to cuz then i should have just bought a new gun, but i figure if do little mods here and there myself i will learn more a bout the gun itself as oppose to spending money with everything i want already on there.

***Thats a very good way to learn about the gun.

do you know of a good website on how to disassemble?

***Try the front page here
airgun.com (AGD's website)
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/paintguns/automag-man.shtml
http://www.thealphamag.com/

how do i clean the gun after use?

***I dissasembly mine, clean it with plain water and a soft towel, let it dry, then oil the valve real good, put it back together, and then dry fire 30-50 shots without a barrel on.

what products do i need? oils? brushes?

***AGD Autolube works good, Gold cup is what i use... i think thats what its called.

do i need to worry about timing after the bolt is installed?

***You will never have to time your automag

have you heard of the q-loader? and if you have what do you think of it?

***I have, i personaly dont like how it looks, but it is lighter then a warp setup.

i read on the AGD page that the ULE trigger pull kit is not designed for an automag classic....did you see that too? or is there away to install it on a classic?

***You can put it on a classic, but some people have problems getting it to work right. you cant put many shims in it either becuse it will make the valve not fit in the body.

I hope I answered everything clear enough, if not let me know.

Langjai147
08-24-2005, 02:04 PM
powerfeed bodies are old, and result in a mag being side heavy.. not very comfortable. look for a stainless steel vert body.

like this http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=423&categoryID=10

or this
http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=278&categoryID=10

they take twist lock barrels, they make centerfeed barrels, but I have noticed that side feed barrels can work, but just not locked in. if you can find em used, they will be cheaper than a ULE

much more balanced than a side or powerfeed body would be...

for the most part, all you need to do is drop some oil in the asa, I believe, and gas er up. as far as dissasembly.

http://www.airgun.com/manual.shtml

I assume you have a 68/mini/classic mag, so pick that diagram

after degassing and while dissasemling it, make sure you pull the trigger rod after the tank is off and be very careful, the on/off assembly can shoot out of the valve, causing you to loose parts and potentially injure yourself, such as your eyes.

it is possible to use a ULE trigger kit on a classic, but its not designed nor recommended by AGD for use on it. also, it can only be installed on certain valves.. although what the requirement is I dont remember. something about the On/off assembly I believe

thanks for the links. i have been to the manual site before but i must have over looked the manual for the auto/mini mag. im leaning towards the ULE warp body and intelliframe with a venturi bolt for right now...i dont think i need an x-valve until i get better on the field and can pump out 20bps with a non electric trigger..lol

on the field playing in the woods, does it affect your cover if you have an anodized marker as opposse to one that is black? i am thinking that an anodized marker would make you easier to spot to your opponents...im just curious and want info before i start my project. i dont want to make something flashy that can be easily spotted, cuz what is the fun of paintballing if you can't take anyone out since you get spotted all the time...

Langjai147
08-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Arston...thanks that cleared a lot of things up for me, do you have any tips from gun maintence/ performace to game play?

bleachit
08-24-2005, 02:18 PM
thanks for the links. i have been to the manual site before but i must have over looked the manual for the auto/mini mag. im leaning towards the ULE warp body and intelliframe with a venturi bolt for right now...i dont think i need an x-valve until i get better on the field and can pump out 20bps with a non electric trigger..lol

on the field playing in the woods, does it affect your cover if you have an anodized marker as opposse to one that is black? i am thinking that an anodized marker would make you easier to spot to your opponents...im just curious and want info before i start my project. i dont want to make something flashy that can be easily spotted, cuz what is the fun of paintballing if you can't take anyone out since you get spotted all the time...

in the woods, how you use your marker and how you use cover will result in if you are spotted or not. if you stay in the shadows and keep your marker hidden to the opposing team, you will not be seen. on the other hand, flashy markers reflect light and glints can be seen even if behind some light cover like tall grass and what not.

Arstron
08-24-2005, 07:14 PM
The minimag body is a hopper right. As for maintence, all that is needed, put a couple drops of oil in the asa before you screw the bottle in for the day, fire it 20-30 times and you will be good to go. All a mag needs is some oil and wont have any problems. You can get as crazy as you want with cleaning your mag, I've been told I go over board with my cleaning and maintence. :D

Langjai147
08-25-2005, 02:39 PM
so just oil in the asa huh? what about the bolt and valve? i just ordered some upgrades yesterday...ill post pics or something once i get it all together...and im going paintballing with some friends in october..i cant wait to light some people up...hopefully i wont be careless and go RAMBO..lol

warbeak2099
08-25-2005, 03:16 PM
All you need to do is drop 5 drops of oil in the asa, screw the tank in, and fire 20-30 shots.

You can also take out the valve and oil/lube the on/off assembly and the lvl 10 carrier if you have lvl 10.

Langjai147
08-25-2005, 07:23 PM
All you need to do is drop 5 drops of oil in the asa, screw the tank in, and fire 20-30 shots.

You can also take out the valve and oil/lube the on/off assembly and the lvl 10 carrier if you have lvl 10.

thanks warbeak...

and thanks to sean for helping me out with my order...that was awesome!