PDA

View Full Version : HPA questions

bigpoppa7979
08-24-2005, 08:44 AM
I know I'm about 10 years behind on this, but I was hoping someone could point me to a resource about HPA. I've always used CO2 and I know little to nothing about using air. Some questions I have include:

N2 and HPA are they the same thing?

How many shots can I expect from my classic valve?

Presets, springs, and adjustables, what is this about, and what makes an adjustable so desirable?

Why do prices vary so much? Will I be happy with a $60 47/3000?

Is it worth the money, what are the advantages (besides making a mag work in cooler weather)?

Any manufacturers to stay away from?

PumpPlayer
08-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Alright... I won't spend much time here (because there's a lot to cover), but the short answers to your questions are:

1) yes. HPA = high pressure air (compressed right out of the atmosphere). Air = 81% N2 for the purposes of a paintball marker, N2 is the same as HPA. Pure N2 is used to for anti-corrosion/anti-spoiling purposes (as it comtains no oxygen) like food packaging or pneumatic shock absorbers.

2) 8 shots per cubic inch volume of the tank at 3000 psi rating, 12 per cuin at 4500 capacity

3) Screw-in goes into your ASA, mounted systems bolt onto the marker and have the airline routed straight to them. Adjustable output regulators are desirable if you have an RT valve so you can dial in the right pressure depending upon your velocity so you won't get velocity spikes/drops under rapid fire. For a classic valve, it makes no difference as long as you get at least 800 psi output.

4) Prices vary because of regulator quality and tank construction. Weight is the most dramatic impact upon price. Ligher tanks constructed of carbon fibers are more expensive than steel or aluminum, but much, much lighter. You determine what you want before you can say if you'll be happy with one versus another. Personally, I would steer clear of $60 small capacity, heavy weight tanks.

5+6) You generally get what you pay for. On a 'mag using HPA, velocity will be more consistent, you'll be able to fire faster without freezing up and it'll work in cold weather. whether it's worth the money or not is up to you. I think that it is. For you, I'd go with a crossfire screw-in. Make sure it's the high pressure (red) regulator. You'll pay about $160 for a 68/4500 tank, but you get quality. Of course, that would get you at least 800 shots.

good luck

bigpoppa7979
08-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks!