PDA

View Full Version : NEW FIELD in Illinois, Tourney soon...

benhmn
08-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Hey guys, I recently got a job at Odyssey Fun World as a Store Manager. I'm the only member of management that knows anything about paintball, so they're letting me make a lot of the decisions regarding the field. I got the job early in the summer, but I haven't mentioned it yet because I've been working on a lot of changes that I wanted to make before puting my name behind the field. We have new prices, and we're hosting a tournament for publicity. We're open a lot, but we don't get the kind of business we could because I think most people just don't know we have paintball. So, here's the scoop on the field and the tourney.

We are at the corner of Harlem and Oak Park Avenue in Tinley Park, IL (just south of Chicago) and have single small to mid size airball field.

Hours of Operation:

Monday & Thurs. 12-8pm
Fri. 12-10pm
Sat. 10-10
Sun. 12-8

We're not sure if we'll keep paintball officially open or not on Monday and Thursday. If we don't, just call ahead and we'll get someone to the field for you (they'll be happy to come too, they're fanatics). Whether we keep it open officially on Mon. and Thurs. probably depends on how many players we get on those days (hint ;) )

Prices:

$10 field fee
$5 rental fee

Paint (field paint only):

$7 for 150
$13 for 300
$20 for 500
$35 half case
$60 full case

$20 starter package:
includes field fee, rental fee and 150 rounds

Tournament:

September 25th at 9 am, game on at 10. The website is currently incorrect on the time.

3 man ROOKIE tournament, $60 entry fee and you may bring your own paint.

Trophies awarded to top 3 teams and FREE FOOD will be provided.

Register by September 21st with your team name and a $15 deposit

To register, stop by or call 708-429-3800

Send questions to bjones@odysseyfunworld.com (or ask here)

Address: 19111 Oak Park Avenue
Tinley Park, IL 60477

AGDlover
08-25-2005, 06:45 PM
I have a 75% chance of going with my team only thing is we have apoc comeing up too

sol tank
08-25-2005, 08:21 PM
what field paint? i hate bad field paint..remember a lot of fields around allow BYOP so you better offer good paint at that price...

AGDlover
08-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Yup Team Kinky Killer Kittens will be and please dont apreaveate on your score board for our name lol

benhmn
08-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Yup Team Kinky Killer Kittens will be and please dont apreaveate on your score board for our name lol

Hope to see you there. Oh, I forgot to mention that all teams need to be registered by September 21st or the entry fee goes to $75

Lohman446
08-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Hmmm... might be worth travelling to

AGDlover
08-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Ok we have to have all our money in by then or just the $15 deposit thing

benhmn
08-26-2005, 06:06 PM
what field paint? i hate bad field paint..remember a lot of fields around allow BYOP so you better offer good paint at that price...

X.O. Industries hotbox. It's okay paint, but not what you would consider tournament grade. But if you want to talk prices, you won't find a cheaper day of paintball anywhere in the area.

Ok we have to have all our money in by then or just the $15 deposit thing

Just have the $15 in by the 21st, you can pay the rest on the day of the tournament. You can stop by or do a credit card over the phone.

AGDlover
08-26-2005, 08:51 PM
alrighty

benhmn
08-31-2005, 06:14 PM
Well, our Naperville location got jealous so they're going to have a tournament too on Oct 2nd. Same details, different location and day.

Also, if you guys are interested in the tourney be sure to call in and register so we know you're coming.

AGDlover
08-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Well 2things here:
1. My teams name has changed we are now Short Bus Kids
2. We'll be there friday around 5ish for pratice if you can let us

benhmn
09-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Well 2things here:
1. My teams name has changed we are now Short Bus Kids
2. We'll be there friday around 5ish for pratice if you can let us

Of course we'll let you. We'll be open anyway.

AGDlover
09-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Shaweet

AGDlover
09-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Went today and Wow great field Well mirrored and I mad the deposit so I may come back monday!

benhmn
09-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Went today and Wow great field Well mirrored and I mad the deposit so I may come back monday!

Glad you liked it. I heard about your warped emag :shooting:

AGDlover
09-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Lol ya good things i presume and sry I wasnt able to make it out today my bud bart had to work + i just got in from out of town

AGDlover
09-06-2005, 04:13 PM
OK we'll be out sunday....edit scrath that man the team of Short Bus Kids will be there staurday not sunday you should come out and watch us see ya then man

benhmn
09-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Hey everybody, just to let you know we are now selling formula 13 and premium as our field paint for the same price. Come by and try us out if you're in the area.

OK we'll be out sunday....edit scrath that man the team of Short Bus Kids will be there staurday not sunday you should come out and watch us see ya then man

I'll be working that night so I'll see you guys either way. By the way, a couple of other teams are signed up, so we have some competition for you now :bounce:

AGDlover
09-08-2005, 05:26 PM
yay AGDlover likey competition!!!!! :bounce: :shooting:

AGDlover
09-10-2005, 11:21 PM
Played today with full team turn out...for about 5min lol ya ben Lukes Timmy was messed up and i gotta fix his warp. Day started out being goged off the break...which sucked and as most ppl saw i threw my pod. But other than that good day. Ben Finaly met me lol my mag was ripping consistant 16's over the crono. See you guys again maybe next week

AGDlover
09-16-2005, 05:40 PM
Hey Ben What time do we need to be there on the 25th?

benhmn
09-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Hey Ben What time do we need to be there on the 25th?

9:00 am

We've got six or seven teams right now, and i've talked to some others that are interested, so we'll see how the final turnout is.

AGDlover
09-18-2005, 07:28 PM
ok sweet man

AGDlover
09-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Another Question, Are you guys changeing the field layout for the turny?

Chao
09-19-2005, 11:49 PM
AGDlover, i doubt we are gunna change anything field wise.

As for paint, WE HAVE PREMIUM!!! ahh, it shoots ooo So better than the hotbox.

benhmn
09-20-2005, 12:05 AM
We also have blaze. Now who the frill is this? Must be Mike or Ryan...

Oh, and we have ten teams now by the way.

AGDlover
09-20-2005, 03:38 PM
hey i heard you guys found some CLear Lady emag pannels? they're mine must have droped em

Chao
09-20-2005, 09:15 PM
i know there urs. i told ur buddy that i had em. you left em after you showed em to me. i just took em cuz someone would pick em up.

...but it is mikey.

AGDlover
09-20-2005, 09:18 PM
ya luke told me you had em so I didnt know you were on here. Alright if your at the turny give em to me there thanks man. :cheers:

Chao
09-20-2005, 09:31 PM
NP, ill be there.

AGDlover
09-25-2005, 05:28 PM
well wasnt that bogus...

Twiztidpb
09-25-2005, 08:08 PM
ditto indeed....not necesarily complaining for my team but i must say sandbagging 101

Crazy
09-26-2005, 12:45 AM
Sandbagging.... in chicagoland paintball? No way! :rolleyes:

Twiztidpb
09-26-2005, 04:15 PM
Yea i mean and getting away with it to noooo way! the place is obviousley just worried about bringing in the benjamins and not worried about the sport it self???

Lohman446
09-26-2005, 04:45 PM
Guys, I haven't been to a tourney in a year (with the exception of OGD) where there was not some degree of sandbagging

Twiztidpb
09-26-2005, 06:02 PM
true yes but when Warped Sportz Factory team shows up to a rookie tournament? you cant tell me that doesnt raise an eyebrow...

Lohman446
09-26-2005, 06:13 PM
I can see where any team with factory in its name isn't trying to hide sandbagging, and should be addressed by the promotor.

benhmn
09-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Alright guys, here it goes.

I heard about possible novice players early on. And then I heard a rumor that this novice team was at the tourney to beat another team. I can't start dropping teams based on the word of opposing teams. We had this tournament to spread the word to the local area that we have a paintball field. No big prizes, just a cheap tourney for publicity. We have had little to no exposure to other local fields and the regular tourney players, and/or tourney scene. The problem is unless we're talking about a card carrying circuit of tournaments, there is almost no way to regulate players. At least not fairly. Sure, I could have pulled the team everyone was *****ing about. But how do I know there isn't a novice team from two states over that happend to be in the area?

But before I finish, I just want to say that I AGREE with you. This is a HUGE problem in paintball, and the sport is not regulated enough. That's the main point, though. This is a problem with the current state of paintball in general, and it's not Odyssey Fun World's problem. As one of my refs said recently, "there's no such thing as a rookie tournament anymore".

And with 26 teams showing up followed by constant rain, I had far more to worry about.

Since there was such a fantastic turnout by the way (thank you everyone that came), I'm considering holding another tourney or two in the near future that would involve some serious prizes (and bigger trophies). And I have some IDEAS on how to host an actual, true to God ROOKIE tournament. But we'll see if any of this comes to fruition.

Lohman446
09-26-2005, 07:23 PM
I assume you have waivers from everyone, and know the names of everyone on every team (one field I go even goes as far as to take a picture of every team for future reference). Put them in a database, start one, saying when people played, and how they did. Link it to team name. That way, later, you can help divide out people who should not be in low brackets by past performance. I also suggest two divisions, same day, with better prizes in the top, to encourage players to mvoe up to the top division...

Twiztidpb
09-26-2005, 07:48 PM
yeah, waivering is good granted they follow through and check it any team that places top 2-3 in a rookie tourney should be bumped up any ways and your ref was right there is no such thing as a good rookie tourney but if a team comes in and everyone knows who they are thats just ridiculous if you dont even address the point that they are there...people know em and talk about them and yet u do nothing ive been to plenty where teams have been asked to leave...you can tell by the way they play if they are rookie or not. :shooting: