PDA

View Full Version : OK, yeah, I'm a smart one....

Riot[Z-Grip]
12-04-2001, 07:33 PM
I stripped the allen-wrench hexagon thing on my Front gripframe screw somehow and now the allen key won't turn it. Any thoughts on how to get the screw out? (Need to get it out to remove my vert ASA.) Thanks.

-Pat

MikeCouves
12-04-2001, 07:59 PM
There's a couple good ways. You could drill the screw, screw something in it, and take it out, but that takes too long. I would recommend using that Mastercraft tool that takes out stripped screws. Maybe one of your dad's friends or something has it. If not you can get it at a hardware store.

Riot[Z-Grip]
12-04-2001, 08:11 PM
Would that fit inside my triggerguard beside the trigger?

Xzion
12-04-2001, 08:11 PM
another way to do it is to take a dremel tool, cut notches into the head of the screw, then use a flat head screwdriver to remove the screw.

BlackVCG
12-04-2001, 08:59 PM
Are you SURE your screw head is stripped out and not the allen key? Most of the time it's the allen key that gets rounded at the end. If it looks rounded, try a brand new one, or grind down the end of the old one until worn area is gone. Just try a like new allen wrench before you try other methods to get the screw out. If that doesn't work, a a pair of Mini-Channel Lock pliers might be able to grab onto the screw enough that you can unscrew it that way.

X-Plosive
12-04-2001, 09:04 PM
umm how small do they make channel locks? It is most likely the allen key. Happens quite often actually. Xzion is right but the is really a last resort and the screw is in a bad place to whip out a dremel.

Riot[Z-Grip]
12-04-2001, 09:07 PM
Yeah, it was the allen wrench. It was barely rounded, I guess I didn't notice when I glanced at first. Tried a new (well actually older, just not stripped) one and I got it out fine. Thanks for making me look like a fool, oh wait I mean helping me. ;) Thank You All.

-Pat

Puddleglum
12-05-2001, 09:50 AM
Heh, I did the same thing on the day I was sending Redrider my Mag to get powdercoated. I stripped the ASA screw, so I just had to send that as well. I think he might have gotten it off though.

PyRo
12-05-2001, 01:58 PM
Everyone strips those damm asa screws :)

MAGS own YOU
12-05-2001, 03:02 PM
Had the same thing happen to me. Go to the hardwarestore, and get some stuff called JandJ weld. Mix the stuff and put a big glob in the allen wrench hole. Put the allen wrench in there and let it sit for 2 days, not 1 like it says thats not long enough. Then very slowly turn it when its dry until you get it out. Your going to need another allen wrench and screw, i suggest a metric head next time.

joeyjoe367
12-05-2001, 07:35 PM
Actually, I'd advise against using JB weld. I used to use it to do trigger work on my spyder.

'Thing about it is that it's supposed to be permenant. Once the JB weld is in there, it's not supposed to come out.

What I recommend is using some Loc-tite. Put a drop in the hex hole thingamabobber and toss that allen key in it. let it set, and then turn it out.

Then once you've got it out, you can heat it up with a lighter, blowtorch, flamethrower, or other source of heat and get your allen Key back.

Of course, if you have JB Weld on hand, and you DON'T care about the Allen Key, Go for it.