PDA

View Full Version : Electromagnetic bolt?

OneEyedPimp
08-28-2005, 10:28 PM
I have been thinking for a while, as people want more and more BPS, why don't they come up with a bolt/valve assembly that is moved foward and backwards by electromagnets? I mean, theoretically, this could yeild huge a huge ROF. I am just thinking right now and was wondering if any of you had any input/criticism.

RazorMonkey
08-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Unpractical due to power requirements... And patent pending to someone I know... :tard:

OneEyedPimp
08-29-2005, 09:46 PM
Unpractical due to power requirements... And patent pending to someone I know... :tard:

Ok. It was just an idea that I had, and I was looking for input like that. Thank you.

Aleis
09-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Actualy the power constrainst i'm not sure about honestly all you would really have is a mechanical Solenoid, true a the half inch travle is a bit much but you can run a sear tripper for days on a 9-volt.

And yes i think it's already patented anyhow.

Maggot6
09-05-2005, 11:06 AM
You should be able to make it go reallllly fast, seeing as there is no real limit on a magnet...But, the problem I can see would be making it go fully from one side to the other without half cycling....AS soon as the battery got low, you'd just chop/pinch all over the place.

phantomhitman
09-05-2005, 08:11 PM
I almost had a gun like this made, then quake3 released their newer and more powerful rail gun. Id software sent me a cease and disist order soon after.

/pcgamejoke

BigEvil
09-05-2005, 08:14 PM
I almost had a gun like this made, then quake3 released their newer and more powerful rail gun. Id software sent me a cease and disist order soon after.

/pcgamejoke

LMAO (chokes on beverage)

Teamslayer76
09-05-2005, 08:48 PM

/pcgamejoke

:headbang: IDSOFTWARE ROCK ON!

Shoot em up Strife Style. Maybe even alittle DOOM or Wolfenstien 3D DA DA DA! :shooting:

Duzzy
09-05-2005, 09:14 PM
A more practical idea would be to make the bolt so that it recharges your batteries as it moves back and forth. Like those flashlights that "last forever" and all that you have to do is shake them to make them work. Then hook your hopper up to your gun and you should be set for a while.

slade
09-06-2005, 07:07 AM
A more practical idea would be to make the bolt so that it recharges your batteries as it moves back and forth. Like those flashlights that "last forever" and all that you have to do is shake them to make them work. Then hook your hopper up to your gun and you should be set for a while.
hmm, itd drain air like a b****... hook it up to a viking and take advantage of that all day air :D.

Duzzy
09-06-2005, 09:51 AM
How would it drain air faster than normal?

slade
09-06-2005, 11:57 AM
How would it drain air faster than normal?
you cant "create" energy, it has to come from somewhere... if you make a system that will charge a battery when the bolt moves, that energy will come from the energy stored as air pressure, thus using more air. to compensate for that you would probably have to use higher pressures, or else it would slow down the bolt. it would also create more kick.

Arstron
09-06-2005, 01:47 PM
you cant "create" energy, it has to come from somewhere... if you make a system that will charge a battery when the bolt moves, that energy will come from the energy stored as air pressure, thus using more air. to compensate for that you would probably have to use higher pressures, or else it would slow down the bolt. it would also create more kick.

Wouldnt using air defeat the purpose of a electromagnetic bolt? You would need a good size battery just to get the bolt started. If you could come up with a charging system, then the first couple shots would still be off the battery alone. It would take a ton of R&D and the price of a gun like this would be very high, but it would be nice not to have to worry about air. :D

Duzzy
09-06-2005, 01:54 PM
I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say...

Take a gun, but components on the bolt sides and the internal walls that will generate electricity when they rub together (I don't know what it is called but they use the principal in the new flashlights.) and then just shoot the gun. It shouldn't take that much more air unless the bolt is insanely heavy.

I'm confused...

CKY_Alliance
09-06-2005, 02:21 PM
This may have already been brought up but i didnt read the thread so o well...

anyway.. with an electromagnetic bolt wouldnt the bolt hit the ball instead of using air..?well now that i say this i relize that im dumb..becasue you could still use air..but couldnt an E.M. bolt be used without air..the bolt would have to make contact with the ball and prolly break it but i believe it could be done..

umm yea...i dont know.

slade
09-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Wouldnt using air defeat the purpose of a electromagnetic bolt? You would need a good size battery just to get the bolt started. If you could come up with a charging system, then the first couple shots would still be off the battery alone. It would take a ton of R&D and the price of a gun like this would be very high, but it would be nice not to have to worry about air. :D
youre talking about something completely differnent, which is essentially the all electronic marker simon created.

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say...

Take a gun, but components on the bolt sides and the internal walls that will generate electricity when they rub together (I don't know what it is called but they use the principal in the new flashlights.) and then just shoot the gun. It shouldn't take that much more air unless the bolt is insanely heavy.

I'm confused...
the flashlight thing youre talking about has nothing to do with things "rubbing together". the flashlight is a magnet that moves back and forth through a coil of wire, generating electricity. to do that you would have to have a seperate assembly attached to the bolt or ram, which generates electricity. my initial post was a joke. making something like that would add extra mass/volume to the marker, it would slow down the bolt due to the friction and extra mass that must be used, and therefore you would have to turn up the pressure to overcome that, greatly decreasing the efficiency. remember, any energy created as electricity comes from your tank. and anyway this is just one more system on the marker that has the potential to break, or create problems. also, the ammount of power produced would most likely not be enough to power the marker. a light does not require much power. youre much better off buying batteries. youd need the batteries to prime the system anyway, the solenoid requires electricity to fire the marker, and the firing of the marker in this setup is what would create the electricity.