PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharging worth it? (Subaru X vs. XT)

Glickman
08-31-2005, 10:45 PM
Hello :D

Well, looking at a dealership, it was hard to decide, even among my parents, we still couldnt decide, so i figured i would ask those who ive helped before with cars :p

2005 Subaru XT
-0 Miles
-Turbocharged
-$2600
-Ready to be driven home

2006 Subaru X
-0 Miles
-Sunroof
-Taller
-Side-view turn signals
-$2400

2006 Subaru XT
-0 Miles
-Turbocharged
-Leather
-Sunroof
-$2800
-Wont be for a WHILE to get

Im leaning towards the '05, but my real question is, what does everyone think of turbocharging? Is it a big difference? (Ive only driven a landcruiser & a X5 4.4L)

Thanks for your help in advance

devildog
09-01-2005, 01:19 AM
i assume those prices are down payments.....

anyway, unless you plan to race alot, or go really really fast, then the turbocharging is worthless, just good for bragging rights. also going to make insurance higher, as well as use more gas, so consider that. it will give you more power though, so it all depends on what you want, and what you NEED

atm743
09-01-2005, 01:33 AM

anyway, unless you plan to race alot, or go really really fast, then the turbocharging is worthless, just good for bragging rights. also going to make insurance higher, as well as use more gas, so consider that. it will give you more power though, so it all depends on what you want, and what you NEED

dito

also if you have a turbocharged car wouldent it get less mpg?? because of pushing more o2 into the motor you would have to have it equal with the amout of gas??

and more o2 will mean it will need more gas??

if soo its not a must have with these gas prices

magman007
09-01-2005, 02:54 AM
ok, you are getting a forrester. GET THE SUPER CHARGER. i realize now they are using the boxer style engine in them, the horizontally opposed 4 cyl, which is a better engine than they used to carry, but is still not using any potential untill that charger is thrown on it.

Actually, id say look at the mazda 3, but thats me, its a better all around car than the forrester,

but, if you are getting a subaru, get the supercharger, it isnt bad alone with one person in the car, but if you tahe a friend or 2, its some scary stuff getting up to speed to enter a highway.

wad04
09-01-2005, 03:09 AM
do they even make a super charged engine for the subarus?

anyway, my expoierence with turbos have been a very good one. Yes they do eat up gas a bit quicker, but that really depends on how you drive. Its just so satisfying pushing down the throttle and have your body pressed up against your seat. I personally would jump for a turbo charged subaru.

btw, i drive a 2001 saab 9-3.

magman007
09-01-2005, 03:17 AM
my bad, i obviously ment the turbo charger, its 320 am :)

Glickman
09-01-2005, 06:21 AM

insurance is only $11 higher

:clap: Geico

haha and yes, i forgot a zero at the end of all of those numbers

the non-turbo hits 0-60 in 9.7, which is comparable to the scion xB (the big cardboard box) :wow:

so, im thinking it would be worth trading a sunroof for a turbo

devildog
09-01-2005, 10:06 AM
haha and yes, i forgot a zero at the end of all of those numbers

oh my, thats alot of money. i dont know how old you are, but thats quite a commitment.

bofh
09-01-2005, 11:19 AM
i realize now they are using the boxer style engine in them, the horizontally opposed 4 cyl, which is a better engine than they used to carry, but is still not using any potential untill that charger is thrown on it.

What was the engine they used to have? It's been a flat 6 or 4 for over 20 years. The 1977 Brat had a flat 4...

magman007
09-01-2005, 11:35 AM
probabally the same thing, it just sucked until they re worked it for the wrx, and now they are throwing the wr engine in eveeything

SIGSays
09-01-2005, 07:45 PM
they started throwing the sti engine into porsches...

SkElL~ObIsSiS
09-02-2005, 11:43 AM
LOL, the porsche is the original boxer. Not the other way around. Im a huge subi fan btw. Go for the turbo, there is alot you can do to a car that starts out turbo that you cant do to one that hasnt

I have alot of experience in a first gen awd talon thats pushing 24 psi, 11.4 quarter mile time. It is a wicked fun ride.

BOOST, don't leave home without it.

magman007
09-02-2005, 11:47 AM
LOL, the porsche is the original boxer. Not the other way around, a 911 will murder a sti. Im a huge subi fan btw. Go for the turbo, there is alot you can do to a car that starts out turbo that you cant do to one that hasnt

I have alot of experience in a first gen awd talon thats pushing 24 psi, 11.4 quarter mile time. It is a wicked fun ride.

and airplanes were using it before porshe :)

SkElL~ObIsSiS
09-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Now they use turbo jet engines, cant wait till they make a production car with one of those babys in it!!!

What porsche are they puting a 4 cylinder turbo in?

Glickman
09-02-2005, 05:25 PM
ordered :clap:

my parents paid for the standard, im trying to give them the money for the turbo and limited package (About 6-7k) eventually itll be my sisters car for some years, so they put more money then they would if it was just mine

http://www.subaru.com/media/image/2006/forester/25xtlimited/steelgraymetallic.jpg

everything you could want for $27,000 :dance: Leather, heated seats, awd, huge moon-roof, all wather package, disc brakes

i only asked for 1 thing not to be on it. and thats a spoiler :p

the hardest thing to believe, is that it is one of THE safest suv's around, yet, its only 5 feet and change

bofh
09-02-2005, 05:49 PM
and airplanes were using it before porshe :)

Er, no.

Dr. Porsche was using the Flat Four as early as 1934.

Lycoming didn't come out with their flat four until late 1938.

FooTemps
09-02-2005, 07:10 PM
I'd say go XT. From my experience I know that I can't stand driving a slow car. If you're really asking the power question then most likely you'll want more.

I'd agree with magman on the mazda 3. But wait to see if the mazdaspeed3 comes out anytime soon.

deathstalker
09-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Actually, id say look at the mazda 3, but thats me, its a better all around car than the forrester,
I looked at both last year and bought the Forester. I have an '04 NA (2.5X) and it suits my needs perfectly. I get great gas mileage, the power is adequate for my needs, and you don't buy a Forester for bragging rights. The Mazda 3 5-door would probably only hold about half my paintball gear. It would never, EVER, be able to accomodate myself and just one other passenger on a serious road trip.

Good buy on the Forester, though had my P's ponied up some cash I might have a turbo, too. ;)

BeaverEater
09-02-2005, 09:21 PM
personally id say get the turbo diesel jetta, those get like 50 mpg and have some speed to them. plus diesel is cheaper than gas.

Vwise
09-03-2005, 02:40 AM
I knwo u ordered already, but really try to get the turbo if u can. You can drive just fine and never have to kick the turbo in, but its really handy when u feel the need for speed as well as when u fill the boot with crap. IMO its nto really a SUV in the sence of the word which we now use it, but you still cant deny how safe they are. plus that AWD is gona save ur *** plenty if you ever drive in the snow. GL and HF with your new toy :headbang:

Glickman
09-03-2005, 08:26 AM
I knwo u ordered already, but really try to get the turbo if u can. You can drive just fine and never have to kick the turbo in, but its really handy when u feel the need for speed as well as when u fill the boot with crap. IMO its nto really a SUV in the sence of the word which we now use it, but you still cant deny how safe they are. plus that AWD is gona save ur *** plenty if you ever drive in the snow. GL and HF with your new toy :headbang:

i did get the turbo (as you can see from the hood scoop)

I learned alot when i looked into subaru, and talked to a rep. ie. rav-4's "awd" only is activated during a slip.

also, believe it or not, disel is just as much as gas around here ($3.80+ most likely over $4.00 by this weekend)

Wheelman
09-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Congrats on buying a lesbian car that you can only run super in. At 4 bucks a gal. you ought to have fun looking at it in the driveway.

Glickman
09-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Congrats on buying a lesbian car that you can only run super in. At 4 bucks a gal. you ought to have fun looking at it in the driveway.

ok.

1. I put super in all my vehicles anyway (woooooooooooooooo! an extra 10 cents!!!!! there are better things to save $200 a year on )
2. I pay more for gas on the water, and will pay ~$60 in gas for a half-day trip (at 3 mpg).

whats up with sexually catagorizing a car?

oh, i know.

someones very jelous :p dont worry, you can stare at it if you want.

BeaverEater
09-08-2005, 08:52 PM
also, believe it or not, disel is just as much as gas around here ($3.80+ most likely over $4.00 by this weekend)

ya but diesel gets better mpg compared to gas. The diesel jetta get about 50 mpg.

Glickman
09-08-2005, 08:57 PM
ya but diesel gets better mpg compared to gas. The diesel jetta get about 50 mpg.

yea, but less output. thats why you see turbo charged diesel. ill keep my 93 octane though :D

SkElL~ObIsSiS
09-09-2005, 07:47 AM
What psi can a stock turbo subi reach? All octane does is prevent detonation. Just for the record, not all subis with a hood scoop have a turbo, so thats not an accurate way to tell is one has a turbo.

Crighton
09-09-2005, 08:44 AM
The forester is underpowerd without the turbo. In addition to the turbo you also get the upgraded engine internals.

bofh
09-09-2005, 08:52 AM
yea, but less output. thats why you see turbo charged diesel. ill keep my 93 octane though :D

Less output? you mean miles? or HP? Or torque? :confused: MPG measures miles, so I'm not quite sure how they have "less output"

Thordic
09-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Some cars are designed to run on regular, you know, and putting premium in them isn't doing anything special.

SkElL~ObIsSiS
09-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Unless Your Running A Turbo Or A High Compression Vehicle High Octane Is A Waste Of Your Money

vf-xx
09-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Unless Your Running A Turbo Or A High Compression Vehicle High Octane Is A Waste Of Your Money

Not neccisarily. Generally you won't get a performance difference, but many 'Super' fuels have additives that can help clean your engines. I generally put one tank of super in our car about once every two months or so just to clean things out.

SkElL~ObIsSiS
09-09-2005, 11:04 AM
WOW, You can repeat marketing gimicks.

vf-xx
09-09-2005, 11:29 AM
No, it works in my car. I've TESTED it. Sheesh.

Glickman
09-10-2005, 09:02 PM
someone seems to have parked a rather small, dumb looking "suv" in my driveway :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D :D

oh, btw..

TURBO KICKS ******

skife
09-11-2005, 12:28 AM
LOL, the porsche is the original boxer. Not the other way around. Im a huge subi fan btw. Go for the turbo, there is alot you can do to a car that starts out turbo that you cant do to one that hasnt

1st gen DSM huh?
You know what DSM stands for dont you?
dont spend your money
:D

kidding, my buddy had a '91 Talon TSi awd, 5800 holshots were the cats***
it would just hook up and go. he only paied $500 for it too.

SkElL~ObIsSiS
09-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Its one fast piece of ****, i agree. Im aleays breaking something, but then its 14 years old, and its 320ish whp, what do you expect?