PDA

View Full Version : If Smart Parts went public, would you buy its stock?

Carbon
09-01-2005, 02:44 AM
assume for a minute you have a little money to blow.

Consider for a moment, they have a decent Profit to earnings number.

Consider, up to this point pretty much the majority of smart parts' big ticket item has been succesfull. Shocker, freak, Ion. (sorry Nerve)

consider they have an ability to market their products well.

magman007
09-01-2005, 03:04 AM
no, but thats because i dont use any of their products. id purchase in dye if i had one to wager on

MadPSIence
09-01-2005, 03:13 AM
I'd purchase an ion and throw it through their front office window with a used condom over the barrel.

disgusting? yeah. so is their business practice. :headbang:

rifleman wi
09-01-2005, 06:30 AM
yea.. SP in the stock market.. then they would try to put a patent on Stocks saying that they invented it, and then make every other company on the market pay a fee to use it.... :rolleyes: ide go with dye too.. everyone has their stuff..
and no im not trying to start an anti SP thread or flame war.... just making a comment..

Resurection
09-01-2005, 06:55 AM
Honestly, I would buy the stock. Unfortunately, the stock would probably do well up until (and this is a BIG if) they lost their patent lawsuit. I would try to buy as much stock as I could and take it over. :D

I would use my stock earnings to buy products from everyone except SP and put stickers on it saying this gun bought by Smart Parts for Me.

riooso
09-01-2005, 08:06 AM
NO! Their business is predicated on very tenuous parameters. Analogous to balancing a ball on a razor blade.

Riooso

BigEvil
09-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Any public offering by Smart Parts would be subject to extreme fluctuation in price. Every time someone filed a peice of litigation against them or they against someone the stock prices would swing. I realistically could not see any piantball only company being stable enough or prosperous enough to even consider and IPO.

warbeak2099
09-01-2005, 08:18 AM
I was thinking about this recently. If I was some ridiculous billionaire, I'd buy SP and close it down. Then I'd start a new pb company that would actually make good quality products and seell them for what they're worth. Ie. I would not sell a gun such as a shocker which is really only worth around $600 for $800. Oh wait, no. Instead of starting the new company, I'd just give AGD crap loads of money.

RRfireblade
09-01-2005, 08:46 AM
2 years ago? Hell yeah....

Now? Not till Dye finishes tearing them a new one in court (case going forward BTW)and then we'll see whats left.

http://www.68caliber.com/news/industry/story041125.php

WenULiVeUdiE
09-01-2005, 09:22 AM
I would have bought stock before the release of the Shocker and Ion. Then sold it a few days after. I would much rather invest in Dye than Smart Parts, depending on how they do in court.

Timmee
09-01-2005, 09:54 AM
I'd purchase an ion and throw it through their front office window with a used condom over the barrel.

disgusting? yeah. so is their business practice. :headbang:

The OP didn't ask if you liked their products or business practices. He asked if you would buy their stock, if they were a publicly traded company.

Staying on topic, I probably wouldn't. Wal*Mart stock seems to be a safer stock to go with (I know, I used to own quite a bit of it when I worked there).

dolphin1823
09-01-2005, 11:11 AM
would have been a good idea befor the Ion came out. Now it wouldn't matter, I don't think they have any more tricks up their sleave.

latches109
09-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Sure I'd buy a straddle. With a 3 month maturity. Got to love that volatility. :D

FreakBaller12
09-01-2005, 12:10 PM
I'd put my money on NPS/DYE. They seem like their at the forefronts of the sport right now.

Carbon
09-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Does NPS have a market/distribute in europe?

Target Practice
09-01-2005, 12:34 PM
no, but thats because i dont use any of their products. id purchase in dye if i had one to wager on

Who cares?

You're damn right I would. Whether it be DYE, SP, or any other one (except for FreeFlow, of course :ninja: )

Let's look at a few of my portfolio:

Catepillar--Don't own a D8, but I own stock.
Northrop-Grumman--Don't own a B-2, but I own stock.
Disney--Don't like their movies or programing, but they make me money.
Microsoft--let's not even go there.

Do I care if they crowd out the market, and shut everyone else down? Not especially. Do I care that they're "ruining" paintball? Nope. If they went public, I'd buy shares, especially if they once and for all beat the rap on this whole lawsuit thing.

Smart Parts is a business. You're going to fault them for making money?

RRfireblade
09-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Does NPS have a market/distribute in europe?

Yes.

Lohman446
09-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Not a chance - with the exception of K2 and whatever major group bought out Tippman noone in paintball represents to me a large enough company to not be diversified and none of them appear to be diversified enough to be a good investment. Couple that with my beleif that violation of ASTM standards (and likely without it) is going to add up to a sizeable (at least to a smaller company, which any of these are) jury award when someone is ineveitably seriously hurt. Couple this with a slow down of growth in the industry, an oversaturation of the market, and I don't see a good risk to return ratio in paitnball..

mobsterboy
09-01-2005, 01:00 PM
not flaming here, but its ppl like you who undermine the whole idea of stocks being high profile and strategical. Sure, its easy to say now that SP is a good company to invest in, but it would have been a gamble to do so earlier, and sure, they did sell quite a few shockers and impulses, but if it hadnt been for the ion, SP would have been down the toilet. Sure they have freaks, but what company doesnt have a barrel kit of some sort?

It takes more than looking at a good company, it takes planning the right time to buy or sell

Carbon
09-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Ok, now consider what a 10 year inevestment might look like, that is if you held on to the stock for say 10 years, Would buy any paintball stock at all?

mobsterboy
09-01-2005, 04:58 PM
no for the 10 year stuff

In NYSE terms, the stock would Plateau and then continue to go down to its own demise. just think, in the last year alone, ramping is legal, new boards have come out and all the tourneys are just based on how fast you can run to your bunker and how quickly you can reload, also how many pods you carry.

Just to not confuse anyone, Im 16 and a Senior in high school, and the sudden knowledge spurt is me finally having time to say something about investments, and someone bringing it up. All this was not something I got from a "stock page", and since I am going to major in business, this kind of stuff is really interesting to me

Carbon
09-01-2005, 05:36 PM
yeah i make pretty awesome threads! :D

Also a little OT.

with the increase of gas rices, what Hybrid car technologies should one look at? Who makes the batteries for those cars anayway. Im willing to bet there is some OEM manufacture for those that sells to most of the car companies.

warbeak2099
09-01-2005, 05:38 PM
You're 16 and you're a senior? Wow, accelerated or something?

If anything I'd invest in the paint manufactorers. They're pretty stable compared to the other equipment manufactorers!

latches109
09-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Not a chance - with the exception of K2 and whatever major group bought out Tippman noone in paintball represents to me a large enough company to not be diversified and none of them appear to be diversified enough to be a good investment. Couple that with my beleif that violation of ASTM standards (and likely without it) is going to add up to a sizeable (at least to a smaller company, which any of these are) jury award when someone is ineveitably seriously hurt. Couple this with a slow down of growth in the industry, an oversaturation of the market, and I don't see a good risk to return ratio in paitnball..

I disagree, Smart Parts has steady earnings; for example, they had an estimated 14 million gross sales from the ion alone, with an assumable high reinvestment rate. They are an industry leader in a consolidating mature industry. They hold important patents preventing entry with in the industry which allows them to realize greater profits. Their cost structure will only be rivaled by the other leaders. (As to diversification)Systematic risk is relevant in all firms, but that should be weighted within your investment portfolio, to satisfy your risk aversion. The company does not need to be fully diversified to realize safe returns. e.g. Enron was diversified. Granted my risk level is higher than most; that's why I’d take a short straddle position (options), where others wouldn't. :eek: :sleeping:

Growth will always slow as the industry matures.
As to ASTM standards I have no idea. It seems the injured would need to show the bad manufacturing was the cause of the harm, Right? :confused:

bleachit
09-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Wal*Mart stock seems to be a safer stock to go with (I know, I used to own quite a bit of it when I worked there).

meh, walmart stock has been going down for a while... still up there, just not at its strongest.

Carbon
09-01-2005, 06:04 PM
good stuff latches good stuff.

I suppose your right, paint companies if not, encapsulation machine manufactures would be an interesting avenue to explore.

slade
09-01-2005, 07:01 PM
so youd pay the gardner bros $270 to be able to physically and sexually assault them?

on topic: id go with what others have said, itd be a better choice to invest in DYE or NPS.

Lohman446
09-01-2005, 08:35 PM
I disagree, Smart Parts has steady earnings; for example, they had an estimated 14 million gross sales from the ion alone, with an assumable high reinvestment rate. They are an industry leader in a consolidating mature industry. They hold important patents preventing entry with in the industry which allows them to realize greater profits. Their cost structure will only be rivaled by the other leaders. (As to diversification)Systematic risk is relevant in all firms, but that should be weighted within your investment portfolio, to satisfy your risk aversion. The company does not need to be fully diversified to realize safe returns. e.g. Enron was diversified. Granted my risk level is higher than most; that's why I’d take a short straddle position (options), where others wouldn't. :eek: :sleeping:

Growth will always slow as the industry matures.
As to ASTM standards I have no idea. It seems the injured would need to show the bad manufacturing was the cause of the harm, Right? :confused:

I'm going to leave yur steady earnings alone, because I have not seen the information to support it and I doubt anyone else has.

As to bad manufacturing being the cause of the harm I would argue in regards to ASTM standards willful disregard of them is bad manufacturing, and not a flaw a blatant disregard for safety. I am in the camp of not if, but when and to whom on the lawsuit.

A company cannot be sitting in a single leasure activity without diversification and have truly safe returns, at least not of the small size of SP / Dye / National.

Growth in the paintball market from here on out is questionable - the market is not rapidly expanding as it was when SP was making good profits (assumed). As such the growth of the company into the future I beleive is questionable. I guess it would depend on how I was looking at the stock - as a income yielding investment through dividends or a growth investment. SP may have hypothetical good dividends in the next year as I do nto see much capital spent on further expansion, but I do not see it as a viable growth stock.

Obviously these are all hypotheticals, with very very limited knowledge.

Cameo
09-02-2005, 06:13 AM
meh, walmart stock has been going down for a while... still up there, just not at its strongest.

It is going down?? that seems odd to me, being that I have not been to one for quite some time (march to be exact) to check out the stock percentage in the back of the store.. But my fathers company share check came not to long ago. He had mentioned how it was the biggest one that he has recieved thus far. Note: he is/has been a night manager since 2001.

bleachit
09-02-2005, 08:11 AM
been working there since 2000, its at one of its lower points since Ive been there, last I checked it was around $47 a share, I believe.

Timmee
09-02-2005, 09:20 AM
been working there since 2000, its at one of its lower points since Ive been there, last I checked it was around $47 a share, I believe.

Wow, I remember the price I started buying at (approx $22/share). While I owned it, it split once, after getting to approx. $60/share. Keep in mind that I worked for Wal*Mart from 1995-1999. I sold all my stock when I quit there (approx. $9000), and got killed in capital gains tax.

If I had to invest in a paintball company, I'd probably end up going with the recommendations of some of the previous posters, and invseting in NPS.