PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have a diesel VW??

slateman
09-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Sort of toying with the idea of getting a new car. And gas prices being what they are, I"m thinking that 46 mpg sounds darn good to me.

Anyone here ever own one or know anything about them? I'm especially interested in reliability issues. I've been told that VW has had problems since they started building parts in Mexico.

Eagle
09-03-2005, 10:18 PM
My dad had a 1981 VW Rabbit diesel pickup back in the 80's, had very little trouble with it until it got up over 100,000 miles.

Bear_Claw
09-03-2005, 10:25 PM
I got one for sale LOL.

GREAT cars and it is the CHEAPEST to buy run and maintain vehical i ever owned.

If it dont sell this month im takeing it apart for parts donationfor a new project vehical i been dreaming up and collecting parts for.

The power trains on these cars are BULLET proof and mine gets 50mpg so its great their.

But i can no longer afford two vehicals and i NEED my truck so i either sell the car or build something with it LOL.

slateman
09-03-2005, 10:40 PM
I got one for sale LOL.

GREAT cars and it is the CHEAPEST to buy run and maintain vehical i ever owned.

If it dont sell this month im takeing it apart for parts donationfor a new project vehical i been dreaming up and collecting parts for.

The power trains on these cars are BULLET proof and mine gets 50mpg so its great their.

But i can no longer afford two vehicals and i NEED my truck so i either sell the car or build something with it LOL.

What year was it?

I'm more concerned about the newer ones. I'm really tempted to get one too. I would have to get a loan, but I think it would be worth it

BlackVCG
09-04-2005, 12:29 AM
I looked at the VW Jetta TDIs back when I first was looking for a commuter car. They overall seem like pretty well built cars with a lot of nice features. However, I have also heard that they seem to have a lot of quality issues now that everything is built in mexico. I've read some TDI owner's forums and a lot of the members admit that their car has plenty of problems, but when it does work they love it so much it outweighs the problems.

I don't mind tearing into stuff and working on it, but I like doing that when it's preventive maintenance. Not when something busts on Sunday night and I have to get it going to get to work the next day.

Overall they seem nice, but there appears to be enough issues with them I wasn't going to drop $20K on one when I could get what I have now. 97 Pontiac Grand Prix with just over 100K and owned in our family since it had 5K. Got that for $3K and don't regret it one bit.

slateman
09-04-2005, 01:46 AM
Thats what I heard as well. And I do mind tearing into a car. Its cus I have no idea what I'm doing besides jump starting a car, checking the oil, and refilling wiper fluid. :p

Bear_Claw
09-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Mines an 87 VW Golf with a 1.6 NON TURBO Diesel. Pretty gutless little car but it works. Ya just cant kill this thing and this one is actually built in germany. The car has 314,000kms on the original engine and still runs fine but is low on power and smokes more than i like (New rebuilt engein in it now with only 17,000kms on it).

BUT i also have experiance with the newer ones as well. My Brother owns a 2003 Golf TDI. He has had absolutly no troubles with it other than prevenitive maintanence (ie. timeing belt, tires, oil etc). His car has over 100,000kms on it now and still running strong. Power is GREAT and fuel economy is unbeleivable (better than even my motorcycle) at 60mpg highway babying it.

All in all i think they are THE BEST COMMUTER/DAILY DRIVERS available. Cheap reliable and fun to drive. They just cant do what i need so im stuck driving my AWSOME F250 Diesel and takeing a HUGE hit in the wallet for fuel.

billybob_81067
09-04-2005, 02:52 PM
You should look at a ranger with a 4 cyl powerstroke in it for something unique!!! I bet it would get pretty good mileage too. Too bad they don't sell them in the states. :(

Bear_Claw
09-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Trust me im WAITING for somebody to bring a mini Diesel pickup here. Jeeps got a 2.7L 4 banger in the liberty and if they put it in the TJ/Wrangler i may end up seriously looking at that (they have plans to do it).

Im a diesel mehcanic and enthusiast so i dont want a small gasser pickup as even my old 99 ford ranger with the 3L V6 got similar and sometimes worse milage than my MASSIVE 7.3L V8 Diesel in my F250.

If ford ever gets their priorities straight and get their Diesel Ford Rangers over here again i be sold INSTANLY on one depending on price. They used to sell em with a 2.2 and 2.3 Diesel back in the 80s but their hard to find and parts are scarse.

rifleman wi
09-04-2005, 08:18 PM
i was trying to figure out if i could do something sweet related to diesel... i want to get a fox body mustang.. but i have some weird fettish with diesel.. :D soo.. why not take a 7.3l powerstroke outta a F 350 and slap it in a fox body stang?.. i think it would be pretty sweet.. but i doubt it would work/ be practicle to do.. it would be unique tho..
ive been looking for an old diesel jetta/golf/rabbit for a while now.. i cant seem to find any around my area..too bad your not closer to me bearclaw :( .. although i could use getting the rabbit as an excuse to go to canada looking for the members of RUSH :)

Bear_Claw
09-04-2005, 08:31 PM
THAT be ONE HECK of a project as the 7.3 is HUGE and VERY TALL. It also weighs in at 1000lbs almost double that of a 5.0L v8.

The big engine also requiers HEAVY and larger drivline. Transmishions that mate and can handel the HUGE toruqe loads of the diesel are large and HEAVY. Also the godly 9inch rear end favored by mustang owners will not hold up to the brut torque off 500lbs of tq for very long.

I agree it be neat to see but i think it be FAR too mutch work for the minor cool factor. Diesels are BUILT to haul and be as efficant as possible doing so. Putting one in a mustage would really only serve one purpose and thats the cool factor.

That being said with enough cash and time it can be done but unfortunatly it would not be the first to do it kinda. I uave seen a old vette powered by the 6.2 Liter GM Diesel turbocharged.

slateman
09-04-2005, 11:12 PM
Ummm . . . . guys? What on earth are ya'll talking about?!?! :confused:

I start the thread about a lil 1.8l VW diesel, and they end up talking abotu something 7.3l being dropped in a mustang. At least, I think thats what ya'll are talking about :p

bofh
09-05-2005, 07:24 AM
I'm especially interested in reliability issues. I've been told that VW has had problems since they started building parts in Mexico.

As far as I know, the engines are still made in Germany. The engines are almost bullet proof.

(disclaimer, I own a 1999 (actually got in '98) VW TDI Beetle. Assembled in Mexico.)

bofh
09-05-2005, 07:31 AM
If ford ever gets their priorities straight and get their Diesel Ford Rangers over here again i be sold INSTANLY on one depending on price. They used to sell em with a 2.2 and 2.3 Diesel back in the 80s but their hard to find and parts are scarse.

I used to have a 1986 Izusu Diesel P'up. 2.3 N/A four banger. 46hp maybe. God, it was horrible.

But the damn thing never ever broke down on me. I drove it another 100k while I had it, to about 250k, and it kept chunging along then it would never die. The cheapest damn car in the universe to maintain. Just Oil and Fuel.

Biggest problem was in the early 90's, say '94 ish, we had a hell of an Ice storm in NJ, the high temp, for over a week, hovered between -10f and 0f. That whole week, due to the fuel gelling, my max speed was about 35mph. But it did start :)

Cow hunter
09-05-2005, 03:56 PM
i took a VW diesel engine and dropped it in my '98 dodge grand caravan :) 40-50mpg and roomy

HoustonDM
09-05-2005, 06:07 PM
my dad has a couple, he has a vw diesel truck and cabrio i think and a rabbit and he loves them but them are just his cars that hee drives when he goes like really far away but when hes just riding around he drives his range rover or mercedes and a couple of other cars

ArmySyko
09-06-2005, 10:17 AM
My Dad had a '00 VW Beetle that was an awesome car. He got a manual and it was tres schweet. 46 mpg is pretty standard with a diesel manual transmission. I would say to go with one if you have the cash. The resale value is pretty good even though some people have this myth about the poor quality in Mexico.

BeaverEater
09-08-2005, 08:50 PM
most vehicle are made in mexico anyways. My buddy has the diesel jetta and he has me convinced to buy one for my next car. Especially the way gas prices are now a days.

rifleman wi
09-09-2005, 07:24 AM
most vehicle are made in mexico anyways. My buddy has the diesel jetta and he has me convinced to buy one for my next car. Especially the way gas prices are now a days.

hey.. if you get it.. you gotta let me take it for a spin sometime.. :)

ArmySyko
09-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Are diesels better on emissions too? I thought I had read that a while ago. Cheaper gas and better for the environment? Sign me up.

My Jetta is not a diesel and it's an excellent car. I should have held back and not gotten the turbo because there's such a hassle with the extra parts.

bofh
09-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Are diesels better on emissions too? I thought I had read that a while ago. Cheaper gas and better for the environment? Sign me up.

They are different emissions, more particles, but less CO2. Sulfur is high, since the low sulfur fuels aren't required until 2006. The biggest difference between the two, is that diesel has about 30% less than Gasoline per mile, since you use less diesel. :)