PDA

View Full Version : Would you let your child play paintball today

Lohman446
09-05-2005, 04:49 PM
I'm going to state flat out that I realize there are exceptions to the rules, but what we have addresses most commercial fields. I am also going to address speedball - and please do not make this into a woodsball / speedball debate.

The question is this - would you let your ten year old son or daughter play paintball?

We know the sport has some degree of violence and pain to it, we know that it is very likely that a player in a game is going to be bunkered eventually, we also know that said bunkering is likely to be two or three shots at very close range.

Add onto this ramping that seems to suddenly have just become acceptable. Have you tried to get off the field lately after being shot?

Add to this a number of players that seem to think velocity cheats are "cool"

Add to this the general attitude towards cheating in the game, and lack of fair play.

Many of us beleive it is only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt when these factors come together.

So... would you let / encourage your child to play this game? I've been thinking about letting my daughter start in five years (when she is ten) and kind of getting her ready for it. I question now seriously if I should? And after two days (one of which was spent playing a tournament (we won btw)) I don't have the answer

BD_Paintball
09-05-2005, 04:57 PM
if i had a kid that was 10 i would let him/her play if he/she wanted to. my friends brother who is 11 plays. just dont let them play with ppl who are real hard core or people who have played alot. let them play a game or two and see if they would like to play more, dont force them into playing or make them stop if they are having fun. i would talk to her and see if she wants to play and let her know that it will hurt when she gets shot.

cdacda13
09-05-2005, 05:09 PM
IMO, 10 years is way too young. I think 13 is the best starting young.

Maggot6
09-05-2005, 05:17 PM
I think 13+ is good. I wouldn't let my 10 year old play....Although, I am only 14 myself. Unless you played in a private party, but I wouldn't just bring a 10 year old to play a quiet game of rec even.

polemos
09-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Yes,

my 10 year old has played recball with me since he was 8. We just went to our first field this weekend. Took my 12 year old and 16 year old and had a blast.

Then again my fear was him getting overshot.
Didn't happen though.... :clap:

LS1 WS6
09-05-2005, 05:32 PM
I think it is up to the child. If the child is aggressive enought and wants to play I don't see a problem letting them play. I would only let them start out with new players or a game with adults/ mature players that know the child is new and not to bunker them or overshoot. I only play woods ball and several guys have brough their kids out and we all have fun.

My oldest is 9 and does not seem to want to play right now. I have the feeling when he is 12 or 13 he will really want to play.

My only fear for letting a young child play is the possability of them being turned off of the sport if they can't handle the pain or have a bad expieriance at a young age. If you feel your daughter is ready and she wants to I would let her.

Chronobreak
09-05-2005, 05:42 PM
depends on the kid

some kids are fine playing by themse;ves at 11 or so(when i started as well)

so i would say thats a good age to start.

i would aslo reccomend or urge the kid played a few private games with lower velocities and friends their own age to get them into it softly, and teach important safety measures.

Skoad
09-05-2005, 06:02 PM
I would say, if he wanted to play I would let him...As long as I was there to make sure nothing gets out of hand.

personman
09-05-2005, 06:02 PM
If I had kids I do not think I would let them play with strangers until they understood and were comfortable with the basic aspects of the game. Then I would slowly introduce them to public paintball games.

Lohman446
09-05-2005, 06:14 PM
I would say, if he wanted to play I would let him...As long as I was there to make sure nothing gets out of hand.

What are you going to do if it does - lets presume open rec play, you are bound to have a few there for no reason other than to show off how good they are to there buddies. Now in my particular situation I could stand on field and call my child out if I felt fit, and that would end any aggressive move against them, and the people around me that I play with would be careful... can you expect the same if you were not a "part" of the community that is what paintball is today.

B.A.M.
09-05-2005, 06:24 PM
im gonna be taking my 11yr old cousing paintballing and i asked his parents and they didnt even care. Then agian its gonna be an all pump day so i dont have to worry about him gettin over shot

tdogreb
09-05-2005, 06:36 PM
My boy has played since he was eight, but it has been in controled envirments, birthday partieswhere only kids played, outlaw with just friends. I have not let him play at any the local fields for two reasons, I don't want him to get overshot and get turned off on the game, but mostly because I would beat the moron that did it into the ground and plant a tree in his butt.

punkncat
09-05-2005, 06:37 PM
EVERY field I have played in this area has open play based on Skill/Experiance level. Generally what is done is a unexperianced/mech only game or field, and then you have the open field where anyone can play. If the play will involve the same field then its rotated on/off. Generally works out well as one group is refilling while the other is playing.

My daughter has played since she was about that age, and my son is looking forward to being able to, as I told him he could after 10.

Blazestorm
09-05-2005, 06:40 PM
I'm going to state flat out that I realize there are exceptions to the rules, but what we have addresses most commercial fields. I am also going to address speedball - and please do not make this into a woodsball / speedball debate.

The question is this - would you let your ten year old son or daughter play paintball?

We know the sport has some degree of violence and pain to it, we know that it is very likely that a player in a game is going to be bunkered eventually, we also know that said bunkering is likely to be two or three shots at very close range.

Add onto this ramping that seems to suddenly have just become acceptable. Have you tried to get off the field lately after being shot?

Add to this the general attitude towards cheating in the game, and lack of fair play.

Many of us beleive it is only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt when these factors come together.

So... would you let / encourage your child to play this game? I've been thinking about letting my daughter start in five years (when she is ten) and kind of getting her ready for it. I question now seriously if I should? And after two days (one of which was spent playing a tournament (we won btw)) I don't have the answer

At a local field with players at a much higher level? No. But if they played with eachother (like friends) and give them goggles, turn down the velocity to 200's and let them play like that... it would be cool. But not with the rest of us... I think it's just too intense/too much, and I'm not saying that ramping makes a difference either.

BTW... "Velocity" ramping would only affect velocity slightly. Enough to bring it to 320-330... Spool-valve guns it wouldn't matter because the dump chamber doesn't change in size... dwell is just used to determine how long the dump chamber should be open so that it can be efficient. On stacked tube guns it doesn't make a huge difference either. The only gun it would really be attempted on would be a matrix because they can take chips and it's easier to program and cheaper to do. But with stacked tube guns they'd require entire boards... not many people are making boards in their garage...

I'd let them play in their own skill bracket with their friends at lower velocities... but not anything else...

HoboJudge
09-05-2005, 07:14 PM
My father first took me to play when I was nine. It was definitely a few years early. I was too afraid to do much of anything and mostly just hid in the back. I didn't really develop any real interest in paintball for another three years after that. However, I di feel really cool telling all of my friends about paintball. :)

Lohman446
09-05-2005, 07:59 PM
At a local field with players at a much higher level? No. But if they played with eachother (like friends) and give them goggles, turn down the velocity to 200's and let them play like that... it would be cool. But not with the rest of us... I think it's just too intense/too much, and I'm not saying that ramping makes a difference either.

That was a valuable answer for me. If I decide to let my daughter play she is likely going to want to compete, which means the tournament scene at some point. And yes, in a controlled enviroment where I have a lot more control over velocity and safety than the normal field I would have no issue with it. My concerns are with an open play situation, or the tournament scene, where I loose some of that control.

vonort
09-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Currently my sond is only 2. If he has an intrest in the game when he is 10 then yes I will take him too play. But also keep in mind that I play mostly "bandit" ball. There is one local feild that if they are open I would take him too play. At that point I would be sure that he understands all the potential "evils" in the game. And would not allow him to go down that road. Not as long as dad is still involved. ;)

phantomhitman
09-05-2005, 08:07 PM
It is not accepatbale at rec play. Unless you jump into a game of tourney players practicing this should not happen. Ramping should be kept to practice and tourneys. Talk to your field owner about that.

This is a noobie thing. THe higher end/tourney players know better that this. They know they will be called for it if they hit another tourney player and he lays into him. Also, this can be solved by talking to the field owner.

This gets blamed on the tourney crowd, and rightfully so. Some people are notorious for wiping on pro teams as well as your local field. I have pulled at least 3 times as many newer/rec players for playing on, wiping, or just ignoring the rules. They are just to caught up in the game, dont fully understand the rules, or the their pride is too big to ever be shot out. But I understand were you are coming from.

Just remember a quick talk to the field owner, or playing at that field 4-5 time should give you a good idea of how that field "plays". I would never drop my kid off and leave, I would play with them at least 10-15 times before even letting them onto the field by themselves. Just to see how they react to certain situations. Every kid is different and goes at different speeds. I have seen kids quit after one game (most of the time neck or close quarters shots) while others will dust themselves off and try again. Just encourage whatever they decide.

NukeGoose
09-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Beat your children often starting at a young age, and they will hardly feel the sting of a paintball.

;)

Pyrate Jim
09-05-2005, 08:27 PM
My daughter was ten when she won MVP/young guns at the MXS event "the King Returns" down at EMR last year. The only time she got lit up was by our own team but came through like a trooper. When we left the field, she took off her mask and the first thing she said was "You're right, dad. This stuff tastes terrible"
This was not her first game, but it was the first time she had been hit six times up close. Kids can take more than you might think. (Plus I suspect she was kinda proud showing off the marks at school)
She still plays, and wants to do tourney, but I'm hesitant to put her in a competition at 11 years old. I let her do speedball in rec games, when I can be in the same bunker with her or at least close by, but she's not as good(or as tough) as she thinks she is.

So it's up to the child. Some are ready sooner than others. Let 'em try in a controlled situation and if they can handle more then let 'em go for it. If, like me, you're not comfortable with the child being in the hard-core of competition then play for fun and keep it a family thing.

68magOwner
09-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Not that im old enough to have kids yet (or at least i pray im not going to get anyone pregnant soon), but, yes, i would. Not long ago a father brought his 10 year old out to play (knowt he age because i talked with the father some that day). The safety procedures were gone over with the child by the staff at the field, he was taught a few basics of rules/playing by staff/players (his father had never played before either, so, couldnt really help the son a ton). Then, he was sent on his merry way, jumped in the first small game on the X ball field je saw. I played that game, and, i can say that, everyone on the field recognized the situation, and new to take it easy on the kid. I think he ended up being bunker tagged that game, but, i saw him play more, and, i dont think he ever got shot more than once per game. People around here seem to be courteous players for the most part and use their heads while playing (rarely have any fighiting, major cheating, bonus balling, or what have you in rec play). The kid ended up sort of wimpering/crying after one game where he got shot (not anyone fault really, just how the game went down), but, after a few minutes to tend to his wounds (none really) he was back in playing. Child and father both had a blast, nothing bad all day. So, i would say that it would be fine, just watch who your daughter is playing with, I dont know what the players/scene around you is like, so, if you feel its not going to be a good situation, dont do it.

CodeMA
09-05-2005, 09:45 PM
This is comeing from both a field staff member and tournament player...among other things... who can be quite arseholy at times :D ...specially on the field

We get a lot of younger players at our field, that we do let play under the right conditions(7 being the youngest that I know of) we do watch them a lot closer mind you...but they can play... and there parents are ushally right there or there playing in a church or bday party of some sort amongst there friends/family.... Most of em...like any other person...doesnt have a big problem being shot.... that being said, Ive seen grown men in there 30s+ strap on grossly undersized chest protectors because they were afraid to be shot by there own kids...

I guess what Im trying to say, its based on the kid... Mentally mostly...and physicly(i.e. the gun setup, even a spyder, being bigger then the kid to were he cant actualy shoot the gun properly) Theres not much diffrence between 250 and 285 from most distances... it wont matter...

If the kids are serious about wanting to play compeitively.... the first thing they need to do is get used to, and accept the consept of bonusballing...getting bunkered, bunkering others...... Keeping there eyes on the opponet and not flinching... If taking the compeitive road... Tuff love is the way to go IMO...it will drill things into them faster and more effectively then the whole "its ok you dont have to do this....try to move when I tell you next time and dont worry about getting shot...." approach.... No its going to be...a move *shoots bunker* not moving still.... your no use...*drilled in the back* ... Just my opnion though

Oh and if you must make your kids wear "protective clothing"...please dont send them on the field looking like some deformed alien like creature out of some space age cartoon... its only going to get them laughed at and cause heat exaustion problems....

bleachit
09-05-2005, 09:48 PM
no.

I dont think my theoretical child would be mentally or physically mature enough to deal with paintball... dealing with pain, and the desire to seek revenge upon those who inflicted it.

from some stories i have heard on this forum from time to time, I wouldnt trust others to keep my kid safe.

if I found a place that 8magowner plays at, then perhaps I would if I feel that my kid truely understands how to play "fair" and to not take the game personally when shot out.

or in order to get him/her used to the idea of being shot, I would do what I did to my sister...
drag her out back with a mask on (and she threw on like 5 layers of clothes) and just shoot at him/her with pgp or other slow firing marker.... good times.

peewee
09-05-2005, 10:47 PM
I let my son play rec ball. I took him to a tournement to see what it was all about & he didnt like it. He looked at me & asked why everyone was so unfriendly. So recball /woods ball, yep tournement style . NO.

Cameo
09-05-2005, 11:32 PM
After just under 1 year of teaching the rules and regulations. letting him watch and having him help my younger brother take apart guns I decided my son was ready to play.. Granted it was only at a Christian Camp field. He did very well, did not seem to mind the welts, played fair and with pride... Afterwards he helped clean the gun he was using and the mask.. I was very proud of him and felt that he did a great job, he got a ton of compliments from people who play there on a regular basis. I think it really helped him learn responciblity that he desperatley needed..
Now would I take him to a rec ball field?? I doubt it. I am not ready for that, let alone him..
~steph
ps: he is 6 years old..

Recon by Fire
09-06-2005, 04:32 AM
My two daughter do play paintball and started almost 2 years ago. They are 16 & 18 now. They have never had a problem while playing rec ball. They only like rec and woods play really. But if anyone gets stupid on the field, don't worry about me being there or not, my 16 year old is a champion competitor in Judo and loves choke holds! :) Good daughter :)

Hexis
09-06-2005, 09:46 AM
I've been thinking about letting my daughter start in five years (when she is ten) and kind of getting her ready for it.

Don't you think you are attempting to make a premature decision? Think about the changes in the last five years in paintball. The next five years are likely to bring as many or more changes to our sport/game.

Lohman446
09-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Don't you think you are attempting to make a premature decision? Think about the changes in the last five years in paintball. The next five years are likely to bring as many or more changes to our sport/game.

For me, yes its premature, but when I think about the enviroment around paintball (especially competetive) I think that martial arts may be a better "hobby" for her.

hitech
09-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Well, first I think 10 is too young for anyone to play. I don't think they are responsible enough to be playing. I have seen 10-year-old kids that are capable of playing, but very, very few.

My step-son is 11. There is no way I would let him play. I want him to enjoy it. It would end up ruining his view of the game. Almost all kids at that age are unwilling to sacrifice anything. Playing paintball you sometimes sacrifice comfort (i.e. pain) to play. The first time it really hurts they are likely to rethink playing.

That age just doesn't seem responsible enough to me. I'd just be too worried that something would go wrong.

I also hate playing against kids that age. As a father it's impossible to be as aggressive against a little kid. Fortunately there aren't that many playing.

One last thing. Just think of how much more mature kids are just a few years later...

:cheers:

Arstron
09-06-2005, 11:17 AM
My girlfriend has an 8 year old daughter and since I moved in shes taken a big interest in paintball. I got a PT Extreme and some velcro balls and let her shoot that in the house. I've been teaching her the fundamentals about how to treat a gun right now. She wont point a gun at anyone. I picked up some cheap airsoft guns on ebay and had to force her to shoot me with it the other night so I think she understands how dangerous guns can be now. After Christmas she will have her own airsoft gun and then I can slowly get her used to playing until she feels ready to play actual paintball. Just FYI, the airsoft guns I got are very low velocity, you barely fill them hit at all. To answer the main question though, if she was ready to play, then yes I would take her to a recball field. My local field is very calm, not alot of swearing or over shooting although it does happen from time to time. The only thing I dont like about my local field is the lack of refs, but everyone does play fair.

Heck, theres nothing like teaching a young kid about paintball/guns, except for seeing the smile on their face when they get to shoot your favorite gun. :dance:

Tyger
09-06-2005, 05:38 PM

No.

FallNAngel
09-06-2005, 05:53 PM
BTW... "Velocity" ramping would only affect velocity slightly. Enough to bring it to 320-330... Spool-valve guns it wouldn't matter because the dump chamber doesn't change in size... dwell is just used to determine how long the dump chamber should be open so that it can be efficient.

Unless you start the dwell abnormally low and the pressure a bit on the higher side... in this case, increasing the dwell would allow the dump chamber to fully vent, which would increase velocity.

onedude36
09-06-2005, 06:26 PM
wouldn't that also give abnormally low efficiency? and possibly a little inconsistency when shooting even slowly?

Cameo
09-06-2005, 09:41 PM
A child need not to have just one hobby or sport that they do.. You have to give children choices in finding and devolping thier inner talents. With each child being so very different you can just put them into what you like and expect them to stick with it or like it... neither one of my children picked up my love for baskettball (i was a state all star), or my love for cheerleading (did it all my life). They both have found thier own little niches in life. It took just a bit of time for them both to discover what they liked, but once they did it there is no stopping them...
You have/had guns in your house as well as paint ball guns. Now is the time to teach your daughter the saftey issues that come with each of them..Pound them into her head each time she see's them, ect.. When it comes time that you think she is ready to play you will have already installed the respect for property and others' beings in her and that will be one less hurdle for her to get over if she does decide one day that she wants a hand in it.

tropical_fishy
09-06-2005, 10:03 PM
I'd tell my kid to suck it up if they wanted to play. At 10, you're old enough to be able to:
a) play by the rules
b) understand the game and the risks of pain involved.

If they wanna play paintball, I'll take them to play paintball. BUT, if I take them to play paintball, they WILL play paintball, sans whining, crying, and complaining (unless serious injury occurs that requires instant amputation). If I knew my kid was prone to whining about pain and the like, I definitely wouldn't take him/her paintballing.

That said, I worked with nine year olds this summer. I saw these nine, ten, eleven year olds persevere through sting ray stings, jellyfish stings, rashes from paddling a mile, sore legs from running miles and swimming for hours. And you know waht? They lived, it was good for them.

Your ten year old can handle paintball.

steimway
09-06-2005, 10:45 PM

Nope. I shot my brother once when he was 11, because he really wanted to know what it felt like. For about 20 minutes afterwards he was crying on the ground. I felt horrible. It was obvious that he was far too young to understand the pain associated with getting hit. In the past few years, he's been almost afraid of even shooting my gun. Now that he's 13, he's going to play this weekend together, so we'll see how he does.

shortkidsrus
09-06-2005, 11:48 PM
I think it really depends on the kid. There are kids my age (17) who probably would not deal with paintballing very well.

If I did decide to take a younger kid paintballing, it would be at a certain field. There are obviously some fields that are better suited for beginners (lower velocity, less experienced players, etc.)

Aslan
09-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Kids have a way of determing on their own what suits them. If my daughter wanted to pay paintball...when she's out of diapers...that's great. I would start her out playing rec ball...maybe some woodsball...try some scenario games. If she strayed to the "darkside" and wanted to play speedball...well, I hope by then she has a job because I'm not paying $1300 for a marker that goes through a half case a paint a game.

What I WOULD do to make sure that my kid doesn't become a "paintball idiot"...is:

1) Stress safety.
2) Stress fair play.
3) Stress sportsmanship.
4) And if she swears or throws her marker or does any other thing that I find offensive...she sits out for however long I see fit.

Parents need to play paintball WITH their kids...so they can teach them that just because paintball is full of A$#@&*^!, doesn't mean you have to be one too. :clap:

steimway
09-07-2005, 03:27 AM
What I WOULD do to make sure that my kid doesn't become a "paintball idiot"...is:

1) Stress safety.
2) Stress fair play.
3) Stress sportsmanship.
4) And if she swears or throws her marker or does any other thing that I find offensive...she sits out for however long I see fit.

Sounds like the way it should be.