PDA

View Full Version : Good mag lube?

MadPSIence
09-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Hey, my autolube is getting on in it's days and I was thinking of getting some oil from the local shp but I don't know what to get. They have a lot of different types, I'm just wondering what specs a mag oil should meet.

sumorai
09-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Autolube? (http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=89&categoryID=16)

I use that Gold something or other oil. It works fine. But their bottles are crap. Leaks everywhere. I keep it in a plastic bag.

Dayspring
09-07-2005, 12:44 PM
KC Trouble Free. (The blue stuff)

Great oil.

Mer
09-07-2005, 01:01 PM
KC Trouble Free. (The blue stuff)

Great oil.

I'll second that.

Eric

kevdupuis
09-07-2005, 02:51 PM
All I use is r/c shock oil, 10w. It's 100% silicone and I've never had any trouble with it.

MadPSIence
09-07-2005, 03:14 PM
wow, silicone = absolute crap. Our body shop won't even allow it in any products so I won't be running it through my mag. Silicone over time ruins plastic, rubber .. you name it. O-ring killer.

does KC have silicone in it?

Mer
09-07-2005, 03:24 PM
No silicone in KC according to their web site.

This is a good read:

http://www.kercon.com/shouldknow.htm

TAC-ELF
09-07-2005, 04:44 PM
wow, silicone = absolute crap. Our body shop won't even allow it in any products so I won't be running it through my mag. Silicone over time ruins plastic, rubber .. you name it. O-ring killer.
does KC have silicone in it?

That's not entirely true, as silicone lubes (thinner oils and thicker greases) are used extensively in R/C racing. Your typical 1/12th scale racer has a differential made up of plastic and metal parts and the lube used is usually silicone-based (yes, you can get it in a non-toxic formula). While different in application, there are many of the same high-torque, high-speed stresses in both worlds of R/C cars and paintball markers.

I have never seen a diff ruined because silicone grease was used. Guess it depends on which brand of grease... Anything with solvents, you can eventually kiss those plastic parts and o-rings goodbye.

maglover728
09-07-2005, 08:07 PM
What about just good old fashioned "auto lube" that was sold by AGD?

TAC-ELF
09-07-2005, 08:37 PM
What about just good old fashioned "auto lube" that was sold by AGD?
It's a bit thin and tends to leave the system nearly as fast as it enters -- at least that's how I'm seeing it. Maybe I received a bad bottle, but then again, maybe not.

trains are bad
09-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Go to hobby shop, purchase 20wt or so silicone shock oil, live happily ever after with your cheap and very excellent mag oil.