PDA

View Full Version : Mag with CO2

chjoak
09-08-2005, 11:06 AM
I know Mags tend to run better on Nitro but in my area not all fields have Nitro stations. So if I were setting up my Mag on CO2 would it be better to run the air through an expansion chamber or Palmer Stab? I am not extremely familiar with Stabs and am not sure how they work with CO2 or how it would affect a Mag. Any help would be appreciated.

Asym
09-08-2005, 11:23 AM
I've done both, the stabilizer works best in my experiance. My setup for the longest time was an expansion chamber on the VA adapter and a sideline stabilizer which worked great but added extra weight. Last year I switched to a male stabilizer in the VA adapter and got rid of the expansion chamber which also worked fine. Both setups were fed from either a remote or directly from a bottle without an anti-siphon tube.

I always had problems with liquid CO2 when I only used an expansion chamber but I never tried it with an anti-siphon tube in the tank. The sideline stabilizers are a little more work since its an adjust and try thing since there is no place for a guage on the sideline version.

It would be cheaper to use an expansion chamber and anti-siphon tubes over the stabilizer. The problem I had was I have multiple guns I use tanks on and the anti-siphon tubes are set for the gun your seting it up for.

Jaan
09-08-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm assuming you're talking about a "Classic" 'Mag. A good expansion chamber will be just fine, and if you mount the bottle horizontally to the bottom line, put an anti syphon tube in it. Going with a remote tank on your back is probably the best place to put a CO2 tank.

Phantom_Mag
09-08-2005, 11:54 AM
When i ran my mag off of co2 i never froze up EVER. And i had a few different methiods. I use the Co2 vert from the asa. And i also used a cheap expansion chamber with the co2 off a drop. I never had an antisyphoned tank. Maybe i was lucky i dont know but i never froze up and i used each of those setups for years. With 12, 9, 4, and 3.5oz tanks.

Cow hunter
09-08-2005, 05:42 PM
for the first time my mag froze and started shooting bits of frozen metal.......... it was cool but very sad

chjoak
09-08-2005, 08:32 PM
My current setup is as follows:

Classic 68 Mag
47/3000 steel nitro tank
small drop forward
asa with on/off
microline straight from asa to valve

One of my other reasons (besides nitro availability) is that this setup (steel tank) is a bit heavy and I cannot afford a fiber wrapped tank.

I was thing about replacing the nitro with a 9 or 12 oz aluminum CO2 tank and doing one of the following setups:

1. put an expansion chamber on the va
2. put a male stab on the va
3. use a female stab as the asa and run a line from there to the valve

Any opinions?

BaaL
09-11-2005, 05:12 AM

Classic 68 Mag
47/3000 steel nitro tank
small drop forward
asa with on/off

One of my other reasons (besides nitro availability) is that this setup (steel tank) is a bit heavy and I cannot afford a fiber wrapped tank.

I was thing about replacing the nitro with a 9 or 12 oz aluminum CO2 tank and doing one of the following setups:

Any opinions?

female stab as asa to exp chmbr to vlv

JKR
09-11-2005, 06:03 AM
I use an expansion chamber connected to the vert asa and a 16 oz antisiphon CO2 tank on the bottomline and have no problems with my Classic freezing up. I also don't shoot more then 5-6 bps either so take that into consideration with my above statement.

Another trick for CO2 use: get the largest tank you can stand and then don't fill it all the way. I try not to fill my 16oz tank to more than 12 oz to further help the antisiphon setup keep the liquid out.

Justin

stoupa
09-11-2005, 08:32 AM

Classic 68 Mag
47/3000 steel nitro tank
small drop forward
asa with on/off

Any opinions?

2 or 3, it's up to you and your preferences. You could also get an anti-siphon tube in the tank, matched to the ASA (let a proshop handle this).
But don't use an expansion chamber after a regulator! It will only make your velocity less constistent. If you don't trust me, ask Palmers.
BTW: You probably know this, but only Classic valves work on CO2.

chjoak
09-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Excuse my Palmer Stab ignorance but what exactly does a stab do for CO2 that and expansion chamber does not?

stoupa
09-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Excuse my Palmer Stab ignorance but what exactly does a stab do for CO2 that and expansion chamber does not?

PPS has a quite comprehensive explanation on their website:

http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/FAQ/stabfaq.htm#stab3