PDA

View Full Version : half life 2 registering problem HELP

atm743
09-08-2005, 03:47 PM
ok well i bought a copy of half life 2 on ebay a while ago and just got it today after getting home from school. i was soo happy intill i put the disc in and entered the cd key thing

after a few seconds after trying to register it said that the cd key has allready been activated and now is invaild.

soo now i cant play the game.

what do i have to do to get this game to work so i can play it??

xmetal2001
09-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Basically your in trouble...Contact the seller.

Did he include the box? If you have proof of purchase I think you can get them to reset the key.

BD_Paintball
09-08-2005, 03:51 PM
i never registered mine on my comp, and it works fine.
i loaded it to my famly computer, my brothers computer, and now mine.
i dont even have to put in the cd to play, which is not the case for some people.
i have no idea why i never had to put in the cd key to my computer or use the cd to play, i guess i got lucky.

im pretty sure that you have to put in the cd key to load the game though, so you might be out of luck.
you can always go "borrow" a key from somewhere else. ;)

im not positive though, so maybe someone else here knows, if not you can always post on the steam fourms under hl2 and they might be able to help.

atm743
09-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Basically your in trouble...Contact the seller.

Did he include the box? If you have proof of purchase I think you can get them to reset the key.

i got the dvd kind one. the limited edition one.

all it came with was the cd the case with the slip with the code on it and that small book with the pics thats it

i emailed him about this

do you think i will be able to play if i get his user name and passcode??

cuse when the instalation was done it said to either register a new one or log in with a allready made username and passcode.

do you think if i get his then i can use it??

ArmySyko
09-08-2005, 04:04 PM
after a few seconds after trying to register it said that the cd key has allready been activated and now is invaild.

soo now i cant play the game.

The copies of HL2 are all over eBay. I don't know how much you won if from or who but I'm willing to bet you got it for a steal like many of the other copies that will sell for under $40 in the next few minutes. I have a hard time buying software on eBay because you never know if it really is NIB or a copy that someone had already used and it sounds like your's probably was. Here is what eBay says:

The following are examples of items that may not be listed on eBay:
Software loaded onto a hard drive that is not being sold with the original media (disks, manuals, etc.)

You may be out of luck if there are statements attached to the ad like this:

This item is from a HUGE Million Dollar software Liquidation. It took 3 tractor trailors to haul it. We checked this item for the CD / DVD ONLY. We did not check for anything else ! We do not guarantee or claim to provide anything except the CD or DVD itself. CD keys, Registration forms, On-line group gaming support, special offers, documentation and other contents may or may NOT be included. We sell CHEAP and all sales are FINAL.No RETURNS. No REFUNDS.

I say: Good luck. You'll need it.

atm743
09-08-2005, 04:15 PM
hopfully the selling wont be a pain and not give me his user name and password

if he dose then im going to be pissed cuse i thought ill be able to play it today but i guess not

i bought it for 35 shipped

Indignant
09-08-2005, 06:13 PM
If it didn't come in an un-opened factory packaging, you're screwed.

temps
09-08-2005, 06:33 PM
yeah.. unless he gives you his username/password what you have, sorry to say is useless. Unless your not playing on steam... but considering you are trying to log in.. I'll assume you are.

digitard
09-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Yup,
HL2 basically attatches to your STEAM account wether you play it online or not. If its already been put on someones STEAM account you're SOL cause its non-transferrable.

So... hopefully he gives you his info, otherwise the only thing I can recommend is that if you got all the original box (UPC code) and stuff to email Valve and maybe they'll do something, but its unlikely. But since you said he just sent the jewel case, book and DVD then you wont have the original box UPC code to back it up.

t33kyboy
09-08-2005, 08:17 PM
If it doesnt work out, you can also buy another CD-key on ebay... Like I did.

$10 and comes with all the games in the silver package on steam.

atm743
09-08-2005, 10:23 PM
If it doesnt work out, you can also buy another CD-key on ebay... Like I did.

$10 and comes with all the games in the silver package on steam.

really

i was woundering if you can buy just the cd key by them self.

ill may just do that

this is the email i got back from him about this.

Item: Half-Life 2 Collector's Edition PC - NO RESERVE (8210584489)
This message was sent after the listing closed.
km*sales is the seller.
- Show quoted text -
I never used the game, its not on my computer Let me see if I can get a hold of the person I bought it from.

Thanks

i think its a bunch of crap but yet his feedback is good only 2 negitive feedback from no longer registered users soo i dont think hes ripping me on it but he better get that user name and passcode for it. i dont really want to pay more $$ for a key but i guess i will have to if he cant get a hold of the other owner

digitard
09-08-2005, 10:35 PM
What does the actual auction say?

Can ya paste a link to the auction, or possibly just paste the actual details of it (I'm at work I cant get to EBAY til I get home)

atm743
09-08-2005, 10:59 PM
What does the actual auction say?

Can ya paste a link to the auction, or possibly just paste the actual details of it (I'm at work I cant get to EBAY til I get home)

heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8210584489&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

i cant copy and past what he said cuse its hosted or something it wont let me

Pacifist_Farmer
09-09-2005, 07:04 AM
I would bet that the seller, used the account, got banned for one reason or another and then sold the game to you, because that CD code would no longer be any good.

I believe valve was saying that if your banned you need to go buy another copy of the game cause you aren't ever gonna be unbanned.

Good game though worth buying a valid code for 10 bucks, I bought mine right of steam before it came out.

Indignant
09-09-2005, 10:09 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/LittlePaintballBoy/atm.jpg

Did you read the full description even? Never buy a game that needs a unique key used, i'm thinking your SOL as far as getting this copy to work.

atm743
09-09-2005, 04:59 PM
well i got an email back from him and this is what it says.

This game was in working condition when it was sent to me, I did not use it, I sold it as is. Contact the game manufacturer and tell them you bought it on ebay and you can't register it, they should help you with that.

NOW I HAVE A QUESTION

i was thinking today if i go to like wal mart and just get a copy of the cd verstion and get the cd code of that will i be able to register it with that code and be able to use the dvd cd insted of the cd one??

this really makes me mad cuse i know the guy is messing with me with the code thats probibly why he sold it.

i never knew this about pc games if i did i would of just got it new.

should i just file a clam with ebay saying that he sold me a software/game with the cd-code invaild??