PDA

View Full Version : spydermag parts

sumorai
09-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Does anyone sell pre-modded sear parts for spydermag mods? Can I pay someone to do the welding for me?

Asym
09-16-2005, 11:30 AM
On PBnation theres a thread just contact Tony to get in contact with his friend that does the welding if he still offers it.

That being said, do the noid flip. It requires removing more metal from the frame but you don't have to do any modifications at all to your sears so it can be used on any standard rail. If you mod a classic sear and later want to use a newer RT style rail you'll have to mod a new sear. Also if something does happen to your modded sear wear/break you can't just go get a new sear you have to have a new one made.

The reasons I've seen for people doing the mod sear over the noid flip made no sense. One was cost, you might ruin a frame, think mindjob payed around $50 for the sear mod thats the cost of a new frame plus he ruined a few sears in the process. Other was it takes more time, well I didn't have shipping time to send a sear out and wait for it to be done and returned.

BigEvil
09-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Yeah I basically screwed up a few mag sears in the proccess. Tony's friend Daniel did a great job welding my sear.

The only thing that made my hesitant about flipping the noid on the metal spyder frame I had was the fact that I would have to shave the top of it down about 1/4 of an inch or more to get the mag sear to sit down inside of it far enough for the noid to strike it. I knew that there would be no way that I would be able to mill that much meat off of it and make it flat with just a bench grinder and dremel.

After seeing that, I tried to just mod the sears without the welding. That definatley didnt go so well... so my next graet idea was to attempt the weld mod myself. To my surprise, I picked up that whole welding thing ok, and actually managed to get is close. In the process of welding, the bushing came out of the sear fromt he heat, and I ended up putting it in backwards... so after I was done and all ready to try it out.. I go to put it in the rail and OMG I put the stupid bushnig in wrong. I broke out the burns-o-matic and the vise and heated that sucker up until it was red... and gave it a little tap with a punch and hammer.... then CRACK.. the whole sear broke in half.

At that point I gave up and dropped Daniels a line. I figured $50 was either going to got o him for helping me out, or as a co-pay to the emergency room after I killed myself trying myself.

sumorai
09-16-2005, 01:18 PM
:o

Yeah, so is there any information about this noid flip mod?

Asym
09-16-2005, 03:45 PM
:o

Yeah, so is there any information about this noid flip mod?
Its just reversing the solinoid in the frame, instead of the pin coming forward you flip it and it pushes towords the back. Problem is the noid was designed to fit only one way and to reverse it you have to remove some of the frame. When you flip it, the actuator pin should be able to contact and make the sear fire.

One thing bigevil pointed out was where the sear would be contacted by the noid, I did my conversion on a dragun frame which is slightly different. I've got an Icon frame I was going to try and I should be able to check that this weekend(I think its almost the same as a spyder frame even using the same solinoid).