PDA

View Full Version : So My Mag Fired With LP...

MadPSIence
09-19-2005, 07:55 PM
keepin the story short... I bought a tank used from a really dumb kit. first he tried to scam me then finally owned up. I bought a HP Crossfire 70/4500 stubby. It came... I then found out it was LP.

i was tuning the L10 on my new mag... and at one point had a carrier in with the small brass spring and when I tested it... it leaked. But it only leaked a TINY bit. The air was coming out of the little holes on either side of the valve.

Anyways.. it shot paint... and very well too. This is a low pressure tank. But it leaked. I didn't know at the time it was LP. So I swapped in the next logical carrier and it went to hell. No leak meaning the right carrier, but it wouldn't shoot. not enough pressure even with the valve cranked.

So i then realized I had a LP tank.. and with the wrong carrier in and with a TINY leak it shot paint.

I am confused. How?

master_alexander
09-19-2005, 08:10 PM
well it must have been the right pressure to be able to shoot with a small leak but not enough to shoot flawlessley... that is wierd. kinda like on a teeter totter, just nerar the middle.. but its off balance so it doesent work either way, this is why mags arent lp.

scrumpy
09-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Do you know what fps you were shooting? What size spring was in? My classic will cylce at 375ish psi with the lvl 7 in, lp meaning it puts out around 400 psi right? I could see it working but the recharge probably wouldn't be great.

punkncat
09-19-2005, 08:49 PM
A classic valve will cycle with an LP tank, but generally won't get velocity.

Given all the different setups possible with the LX, that you could get a valve to cycle on an LP tank, but would it work properly in other ways?

MadPSIence
09-19-2005, 09:00 PM
it was an X-Valve and LX Bolt. I used the lil' brass spring and it shot 260ish FPS but was radical becaus everything is new and not broken in.

warbeak2099
09-19-2005, 09:04 PM
That'd be fine for indoor play in that case. I'm sure the recharge isn't good at all though. Break your gun in and tell us how it works then.

I wonder if you had lvl 7 and an EM ripper with eyes if it would work ok. Hrrmmmm, anyone willing to try it? The EM ripper uses the stock RTP on/off, so it should recharge better than a ULT'd mag. But is it in fact enough?

MadPSIence
09-19-2005, 09:34 PM
i was poppin 7-8bps over the chrono.

and yeah I am going to try the level 7 with EM Ripper. I preordered long ago. can't wait to get it.

Chronobreak
09-19-2005, 10:41 PM
i believe the cocking pressure is around 425

so it may shoot..but itl be VERY liekly to shootdown or chuff

its possible to get it to work, just not very well

MadPSIence
09-19-2005, 10:43 PM
I shot a whole hopper, twas consistent. zero chuffs.. but the leak had to go.

SCpoloRicker
09-19-2005, 11:25 PM
I'm not very technically inclined. I'd bet that given certain circumstances, the valve can cycle at the pressure from an LP tank. I would, however, assume that it won't operate as "well" as a valve receiving a higher pressure.

Interesting that it worked given the setup you described.

MadPSIence
09-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Yeah but I think I'll stop fiddling with it. I've got it tuned now so there's no leaks and it won't fire on LP anymore.

btw SCpoloricker thank you for replying to my post in a polite manner. :cheers:

Army
09-20-2005, 12:10 AM
Remember, the AIR valve will take the tank pressure down to 375-425psi. If yours happens to be one that runs itself at 375psi (or perhaps lower), then the LP 450psi tank will marginally run the gun.

'Mags need 500psi head-pressure to run with any consistency across the valve/spring spectrum, but shootdown is possible. At 700-900psi, the AIR valve will run to its full potential, and not have any measurable shootdown.

Evil1
09-20-2005, 01:31 AM
I used to mess around with different operating pressures when I used to have my one nitro duck adjustable. It would cycle at 300psi, but not real good. I remember keeping the output around 700psi on a classic mag set up with good performance.

White_Noise
09-20-2005, 05:59 AM
my classic rt used to run off of a crossfire lp tank. it shot fine, no leaks, etc. but it didnt have that fast of a recharge and would have shootdown if i tried to shoot fast. ive also ran my rtpro with a conquest tank outputting at about 725psi again, shot fine, but didnt have that fast of a recharge.

SCpoloRicker
09-20-2005, 10:17 AM
btw SCpoloricker thank you for replying to my post in a polite manner. :cheers:

*starts kicking and screaming*

:)

MadPSIence
09-21-2005, 04:20 PM
So I bought a Crossfire tank off of a kid in the states who didn't know his butt from a 3/8 ported VA and he sent me a low-pressure tank when he advertised it as and said it was high pressure. I thought I was screwed but the local shop had a MacDev LegionAir tank that was under the GCI DOT-E recall. So since he was shipping the tank off... he said why not swap me regs straight across? So we threw the high pressure LegionAir reg on my Crossfire stubby fiber-wrapped tank and it's awesome! LegionAir puts out plenty of air and I love the compact stubby tank.

Makes for a great mag combo. That is all.