PDA

View Full Version : 68classic wont shoot under 350fps

alphasniper
09-28-2005, 12:20 AM
i recently bought a 68classic automag off of ebay and it seemed to be in good working condition but when i chronoed it the first shot chronoed at 423fps and then i adjusted it as low as i could get it and it was still at 351fps. i have no idea whats wrong and i am not real good with mags(ive always used cockers and tippmanns before), so if anyone has any suggestions on what might be wrong i would appreciate it if you let me know.

Asym
09-28-2005, 03:39 PM
sounds like the reg isn't working right. biggest cause of this is the reg seat (http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=31&categoryID=18), if this isn't sealing right the high pressure air doesn't get regulated down and you get higher velocity shots. Take the reg apart and clean it, make sure the reg seat is in right, larger side goes towards the back.
You can pick up that reg seat by itself or just buy a rebuild kit and replace all the orings since you just got it.

wanna-b-ballin'
09-28-2005, 09:46 PM
turn the velocity screw in the back outward at 1/8th turn incraments and shoot a few shots inbetween.
i was testing to see how high mine would shoot, and i also had trouble getting it down under 350, but with patience, and alot of chronoing, i got it right around 285

alphasniper
09-28-2005, 10:20 PM
well i tried the 1/8 turn thing and if i go too fr in it starts leaking and if i go too far out it starts leaking so im gonna try to take apart the reg and clean it and if that dont work im just gonna buy the rebuild kit. so ill let you know

Webby
09-29-2005, 05:57 AM
well i tried the 1/8 turn thing and if i go too fr in it starts leaking and if i go too far out it starts leaking so im gonna try to take apart the reg and clean it and if that dont work im just gonna buy the rebuild kit. so ill let you know

Before buying the rebuild kit, purchase a regulator seat. There like 2 bucks, and I'm sure any AGD Enthusiast near you will have a few on them that they would be happy to sell to see another 'Mag on the field. If you still have a leaking problem, then read the following paragraph.

It sounds like your leaking problem is coming from the Regulator Piston Assembly. Apply some marker lube (Dow 33/Shocker Lube for example) on the piston o-ring first. If that doesn't work, replace the o-ring on the assembly. It could just be a worn o-ring that has a small nick creating the leak.

Food for Thought

athomas
09-29-2005, 02:49 PM
First thing you should do with a new used mag is give it a good cleaning. Take the valve apart and check all the orings and clean all surfaces. Lubricate with a good quality synthetic airtool lubricant. The regulator seat should be replaced once it is removed, especially if it is not new.