PDA

View Full Version : AGD and in-line regulators

magc68
12-06-2001, 05:51 PM
how come agd never got into the inline regulators. the AIR valve is one of the best regulators out there and the retro is even better. now couldnt you make this into a inline reg. just a thought.

Webmaster
12-06-2001, 06:05 PM
Its called a Uni-Reg...

Smokee_2_7
12-06-2001, 06:22 PM
actually, thats i good idea in my opinion. Think about it, if AGD moved the reg into the forgrip position, It would leave extra space at the back of the gun. perhaps allowing more room for a larger valve. Additionally, This would lighten the gun even more, now that aftermarket foregrips are not needed. you save weight because the reg and foregrip are one. Then again, this would call for some serious design changes. Even more so with an emag. Hmm, that would be kinda cool if it would work though- - - an emag with the battery built into the back of the gun, taking up some of the space where the reg was. of course the reg would be where the battery was- - - giving the smaller foregrip that some people have mentioned they'd like to have on the emag. ohh- - - what about this? take an extreme body, modify it so the gas comes from the foregrip reg into the body, through some gas channels in the aluminum body- - and enters the valve at the approiate place. Meanwhile, the battery is located at the back of the gun, perhaps under the valve and gas channels. this would allow for shorter wiring paths from the battery to the grip. too bad i suck with making pictures of imaginary stuff like that, 'cause i just discovered what would be my fantasy emag. lol (not to mention the contest is over.)

This would cause need for another re-designing of the extreeme body. However, if done properly, should improve the balance of the gun (if thats even possible) make the wiring more simple, and would probably allow for more customized milling. - - this is because you would need to make the side profile taller, so there's room for the battery inline w/ the valve. hmmm- - - - could be interesting. What do you guys think?

oneshot
12-06-2001, 06:34 PM
that would be cool, but that would involve alot of changes

thei3ug
12-06-2001, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Webmaster
Its called a Uni-Reg...

if you move the air reg from near the dump chamber, it gets a bit inconsistant.

having a larger dump chamber does not change anything but the efficiency and dropoff. It lowers one and raises the other.

Smokee_2_7
12-06-2001, 06:57 PM
Lol, i didnt say it would be an awesome perfect thing, its just kinda neat to think about. here's a cut and pasted pic of some of the changes i was thinking about- - - looks like poo, but if it was done right, it would be a whole new generation of emag -- provided it would actually work.

MikeCouves
12-06-2001, 07:18 PM
I am impressed with the drawing...but there would be complications with the bolt. And what about the on/off and stuff being down there, wouldn't it slow everything down?

I see where you are going, I think they should just make a reg by AGD, that's pretty, consistant, and small. Then I could take off that big PMI Gas Thru, and put something on my gun that gives me pride to show off :D.

Smokee_2_7
12-06-2001, 07:34 PM
as far as the bolt, on/off, and all that other stuff goes. . .

not really (in theory.) all that stuff is still in the same place. this 'extra layer' would be in same place as the body rail on a regular mag. perhaps just a little thicker, and probably a decent bit wider. the sear would be centered in the middle of this 'layer', just as it is in the regular body rail. to compensate for any additional thickness (i.e. distance b/t the bolt, on/off and the grip frame) the sear would have to be re-designed - - to make it a little bit larger. now that i think about it, the body wouldnt be too much deeper- - - really just depending on what kind of tricks agd could pull off with the battery. for example, make it longer, so it runs the full legnth of the body, allowing for it to be the same volume, just kinda re-arranged.

Will probably never happen, but like i said before, its fun to think about.

AGD
12-06-2001, 08:41 PM
Can't do it on the mag you get big shoot down. The reg needs to be close coupled to the chamber. We tried it in 1989. WE are talking about a vert reg for other guns, especially since we have been testing them lately.

AGD

FooTemps
12-06-2001, 08:41 PM
Didn't someone say that an inline defeats the idea of the automag? The way the gun was designed was to be a horizontally oriented marker. That means that with the valve and reg where it is, the mag works at peak performance...

Cha0tic
12-06-2001, 10:44 PM
the automag was designed with a "pistol" type setup. this means being able to be held with one hand when shot. \

think about it, how much room would you gain by moving the reg from the back of the gun? maybe 2" at the most? would this really be an upgrade, seeing that you will have shootdown as Tom said?

FooTemps
12-06-2001, 10:47 PM
Pistols are cool...:cool:

I never use a foregrip anyways, I always hold the d/f or bottom of the gripframe...

Smokee_2_7
12-07-2001, 03:55 AM
no, i dont suppose it would really be an upgrade at all. Especially since Tom commented that they pretty much already tried it, and it just wont work. Oh well- - - lol, it was still kinda fun to toy around with the idea anyway.

davej946
12-07-2001, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by AGD
We tried it in 1989. - AGD

Tom is OLD SCHOOL. You never cease to amaze me Tom. Keep up the good work.

sajohnston
12-07-2001, 10:28 AM
Good thread topic, and good thinking magc68.

I guess form truly follows function, I like it the way it is better anyways. Less moving/functional parts the better. A lot of people are ditching the foregrip in favor of the natural hand rest you inherit with a WARP.

Wanna know what sold me on a MAG? When a guy on the team I joined gassed his mag, washed it out with a garden hose then degassed, dropped some oil in the bottomline, gassed and dry fired. I was in love!

magc68
12-07-2001, 10:40 AM
yes i am talking about aftermarkert inline regs for any guns, not for agd guns.

i do realize that the black ice and uni reg are almost identical to the AIR valve.

what i am calling for a is a retro inline reg for angels, cockers and any other gun that requires a inline reg to operate since the regs that are out there are not doing what they need to do and as i see the retro reg is the only reg i see that can keep up and do the job for any of the guns out there.

Muzikman
12-07-2001, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by AGD
Can't do it on the mag you get big shoot down. The reg needs to be close coupled to the chamber. We tried it in 1989. WE are talking about a vert reg for other guns, especially since we have been testing them lately.

AGD

Ok, we know you tested the Stab and Govinar, what other regs have you tested? Can you supply up with some graphs? Hmm...maybe you can let me rent that nice room with the dyno in it for a few days?:)

zads27
12-07-2001, 03:12 PM
No, I wouldn't want what your picture/drawing shows, Smokee_2_7, for this simple fact: I already have one of those. However, I do like the idea of making a larger valve for lower pressure, etc,. But that would require some radically fast regulator on the Automag, I believe.
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=150266

Smokee_2_7
12-07-2001, 07:28 PM
Lol. funny enough, i began to notice those similarities about half-way through making that pic. I have one too.

Mag68, I see where your going with this. A 'retro reg' put inline on a cocker or and angel would be cool.

X-Plosive
12-07-2001, 07:33 PM
Am I the only one who's greedy and wants AGD products to stay on AGD guns?

pharcyde
12-07-2001, 10:42 PM
speaking of agd regs, i came upon an old pgi magazine (1996), with a blurb about an new agd reg. heres a scanned copy of it.

edit: its pretty big, if someone could resize it, that would be great.

Bad Dave
12-08-2001, 04:30 AM
Powerpulse is AGD europes main man john sostas side venture, he deals in all the air america kit, might be true though that agd made slimmed down uni reg lower halves?

zads27
12-08-2001, 02:54 PM
no coincidence here
http://www.888paintball.com/pictures/Biggest/27-5F38-2D4-2DA-2FA-20UNIREG-20MALE.jpg