PDA

View Full Version : Wood grips

BerSerK
10-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi,

I want to make some nice wooden grips for my intelliframe, does anyone has a template and/or sizes I should follow ?

thanks

if nobody has them I'll try making a template from my sticky grip.

zeroack
10-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Are you making wrap arounds or panels? You can buy wood blanks for .45 frames online at pretty decent prices. You might look into them.

Zero

BerSerK
10-13-2005, 12:00 PM
I meant panels, but I want to do them myself.

where exactly can you buy blanks ?

shartley
10-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Front wrap wooden grips for the IntelliFrame will tend to be quite thick. And since the frame is already quite bulky I would suggest sticking to panel grips if making them out of wood. Rubber front wrap grips can be thinner on the corners without causing the same weakness wood does. They CAN be made of wood, but the tolerances needed to keep them both thin enough to not be too bulky, yet not too thin to cause strength issues will be quite high. It is one of the reasons I didn’t make any front wrap wooden grips for the IntelliFrame.

Like I said, it can be done, but I would suggest sticking to panels if these are your first pair of grips.

Good luck.

shartley
10-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Sorry, you posted while I was typing.

You can also just take your frame and use that as the template as well. But as Zero stated, you can buy standard panel blanks online. I don’t know where offhand since I never used blanks for my grips, but I do know they are out there.