PDA

View Full Version : "Network cable is unplugged"... but it's NOT!

BobTheCow
10-14-2005, 01:41 AM
I'm running a Dell Inspiron 9300 notebook I bought less than 3 months ago.
Win XP Pro
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
(Would anything else help to know?)

I'm in a dorm at college, obviously using the school network. Everything's been fine this year, when suddenly last week I lost the connection. It gave me the "A network cable is unplugged error" out of nowhere.

I swapped out cables, that's not the problem. It's not the connection point in the wall, because my roommate's computer still connects (and I tried the connection point that was working for him). I tried finding the correct driver online and reinstalling (for the network card). I ran Ad-Aware and Spybot, which both found a couple things, but I was still getting the same error. Windows System Restore, going back a month, did nothing.

Oh yeah, I called the IT guys when the problem first started, and they said it wasn't a problem on their end because the room was still showing up, or something... I don't know, I didn't really pay attention, they're pretty much worthless.

Anyway after nothing seemed to work, I decided to just wipe everything and start over. Ugh. Ran the "Dell PC Restore," installed the basic university stuff I needed to connect the first time back in August, aaaaaand... "Network cable is unplugged." Damn.

Are there any other possible fixes I'm missing? Could this actually be some bizarre out-of-the-blue hardware error? Google and IT haven't helped. I'll be gone for the weekend, so if I can't figure something out tomorrow (well, later today... Friday) I guess I'll give Dell a call. I'm fairly sure the machine's still under warranty, but I'd like to fix this on my own if at all possible, for time and convenience's sake.

Thanks for any advice you've got!

Miscue
10-14-2005, 02:17 AM
Sounds like your NIC is toast.

BobTheCow
10-14-2005, 02:25 AM
Sounds like your NIC is toast.
Blah, I was REALLY hoping that wasn't the case. I don't know much of anything about them... are they expensive? Actually, if the computer's still under warrantly, Dell should deal with it, right?

GAH I'M NOT GONNA HAVE THIS THING BACK AND WORKING IN FOREVER!

Miscue
10-14-2005, 02:55 AM
Blah, I was REALLY hoping that wasn't the case. I don't know much of anything about them... are they expensive? Actually, if the computer's still under warrantly, Dell should deal with it, right?

GAH I'M NOT GONNA HAVE THIS THING BACK AND WORKING IN FOREVER!

Odds are good that it is integrated with the motherboard. If it's under warranty... yeah - have Dell fix it. Before you do that... make sure the contacts on the NIC's pins aren't grimey or something... and look for obvious problems if there are any.

maxama10
10-14-2005, 06:10 AM
well i find it odd that he can connect to the other cable but not his.....( i dont know alot about networks etc... ) but i wouldnt think it would be his network card...idk ? :confused:

thecavemankevin
10-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Like Miscue said, odds are that the NIC is built into your mother board. Since you did an OS reinstall and that didnt work, it sounds like the NIC is toast. However if it is not under warrenty, or you dont want to have install a new mother board (deppending on your warrenty they may just replace parts so you'd have to install it yourself) NIC cards are very cheap and easy to install. It just installs in an available PCI slot.

look up warrenty (http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&~ck=mn)

Here is a good NIC card if you decide to go that way http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Realtek-8139D-PCI-Ethernet-Network-Card-NIC-LAN-L4_W0QQitemZ5818954615QQcategoryZ64049QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem
buy it now for $.44 (44 cents not dollars) and $7 shipping....cant beat that with a stick!

-=Squid=-
10-14-2005, 10:19 AM
well i find it odd that he can connect to the other cable but not his.....( i dont know alot about networks etc... ) but i wouldnt think it would be his network card...idk ? :confused:
Then what else could it be?

I vote problem with your NIC.

I think I have a spare you could have if you need it. Shoot me a PM, I'll hunt for it.

CleenSweep
10-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Don't buy that NIC card off Ebay. You have a laptop not a desktop. That card is integrated into the system board and you would need a replacement board. Most people do not feel comfortable enough to do this on there own. If your computer is no longer under warrenty and you don't have the money or desire to change the board out on your own. Just pick up a PCMCIA (also called PC Card, NOT PCI) NIC and put it into an avaliable PCMCIA slot load the drivers and your good to go.

Out

Mer
10-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Dell notebooks do have a feature that turns off the network jack when it's running on battery.

Maybe the setting got changed somehow?

Are you running on battery or plugged in?

I'd take a look at that in the "Power Management" section of the control panel.

Eric

Glickman
10-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Dell notebooks do have a feature that turns off the network jack when it's running on battery.

Maybe the setting got changed somehow?

Are you running on battery or plugged in?

I'd take a look at that in the "Power Management" section of the control panel.

Eric

ill second that, on my dads laptop, that fuction came standard, and it took a while to figure out why.

tae
10-14-2005, 11:39 AM
I dont think its power management cuz he reset the system to is factory defaluts. Ive read that those NIC's short along with some other stuff. Good luck.

BobTheCow
10-14-2005, 12:24 PM
It's not power management, I already checked and re-checked that.

Q - a couple other people have suggested the same thing. Assuming I know absolutely nothing about hardware (which is a pretty good assumption), how would I go about doing that? And if it involves seriously taking anything apart, I should probably stay away from that.

thecavemankevin
10-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Don't buy that NIC card off Ebay. You have a laptop not a desktop. That card is integrated into the system board and you would need a replacement board. Most people do not feel comfortable enough to do this on there own. If your computer is no longer under warrenty and you don't have the money or desire to change the board out on your own. Just pick up a PCMCIA (also called PC Card, NOT PCI) NIC and put it into an avaliable PCMCIA slot load the drivers and your good to go.

Out

oopss, my bad, didn't notice he said notebook. Bob, check your warrenty on the site i listed earlier. If it is out of warrenty then just get a PCMCIA card like suggested. If it is still under warrenty, but they only replace parts, well then it is up to you if you want to swap the motherboard or not. It is actually not that difficult if you take it slow and map on paper where all your screws belong. Or if you feel like taking a drive up from newport news to richmond, i can do it for you. I am a computer systems tech (hardware guy) for Williams Mullen Law firm and have done this exact thing a several times on our dell lattitudes for one reason or another.

also, i imagine you are running XP and further i am sure you have tried this, but if you have the icon in your system tray at the bottom of the screen you can right click on it and repair is an option. Try that if you havent already....but i am sure you have.

BobTheCow
10-14-2005, 12:52 PM
oopss, my bad, didn't notice he said notebook. Bob, check your warrenty on the site i listed earlier. If it is out of warrenty then just get a PCMCIA card like suggested. If it is still under warrenty, but they only replace parts, well then it is up to you if you want to swap the motherboard or not. It is actually not that difficult if you take it slow and map on paper where all your screws belong. Or if you feel like taking a drive up from newport news to richmond, i can do it for you. I am a computer systems tech (hardware guy) for Williams Mullen Law firm and have done this exact thing a several times on our dell lattitudes for one reason or another.
Thanks, I'll check out those first couple options. I'll probably be at JMU for the weekend, so if worst comes to worst, I may be talking to you again come Monday.

Thanks for all the help everybody!

thecavemankevin
10-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks, I'll check out those first couple options. I'll probably be at JMU for the weekend, so if worst comes to worst, I may be talking to you again come Monday.

Thanks for all the help everybody!

sounds good, if you decide to go with a new PCMCIA NIC card there are two types, one with the built in jack or the ones that use a dongle adapter. Get one with the built in eithernet jack...do NOT go with the dongle option, they can be very fragile and finnicky.

Dongle: WRONG!
http://www.pcpusher.com/ebay/3ccfe575bt.jpg

Built in jack: acceptable
http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages/large/Z165-1136-main.jpg

BobTheCow
10-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Heh, dong... about how much would that "acceptable" piece run me?

e: and yeah, I've tried "repair" and "enable" and every possible windows option combination a zillion times, no luck with anything.

PyRo
10-14-2005, 01:32 PM
You arn't allowed to use the network anymore because you were fireing guns in your dorm.

thecavemankevin
10-14-2005, 02:34 PM
You arn't allowed to use the network anymore because you were fireing guns in your dorm.

haha, the justice dept at your college got with the IT dept after you turned in a paper with "Michael Moore is an f-ing idiot" over and over again for 15 pages.

the one in the pic is listed on tiger direct for $15bux http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?cat=16&keywords=pcimca&noredirect=1

tae
10-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Whats the story with dell? You should be under warranty still.

Make them pay for it! THOSE :cuss: !

BobTheCow
10-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Whats the story with dell? You should be under warranty still.

Make them pay for it! THOSE :cuss: !
It is still under warranty, and I'm sure they'd fix it, but I would be hating life with my computer gone however many weeks it would take between me shipping it, them fixing it, and them shipping it back. I'll buy a card on the way back to Newport on Sunday, hopefully it'll work, and I'll get Dell to fix it for real over winter break when I'll be at home and it won't matter. *sigh*

tae
10-14-2005, 05:33 PM
They can come fix it at your dorm or they will send you a whole new one. When was the last time you talked to them and what did they say?

Tunaman
10-14-2005, 08:13 PM
If you have XP, try clicking on your network Icon in the taskbar. You will see a tab that says "support". Click that then click "Repair" to clear your DNS Cache. Let me know if that works.

thecavemankevin
10-15-2005, 12:06 AM
If you have XP, try clicking on your network Icon in the taskbar. You will see a tab that says "support". Click that then click "Repair" to clear your DNS Cache. Let me know if that works.

e: and yeah, I've tried "repair" and "enable" and every possible windows option combination a zillion times, no luck with anything.

BobTheCow
10-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Bought a new card today ($10 after the Best Buy rebate :ninja: ), and it's working now. So the card was dead. *shrugs* I'll get it fixed for real over winter break.

e: Oh yeah, turns out the cable was bad as well. Is it somehow possible that there was some surge that fried the cord and the card at the same time? :confused:

Miscue
10-17-2005, 03:27 AM
Bought a new card today ($10 after the Best Buy rebate :ninja: ), and it's working now. So the card was dead. *shrugs* I'll get it fixed for real over winter break.

e: Oh yeah, turns out the cable was bad as well. Is it somehow possible that there was some surge that fried the cord and the card at the same time? :confused:

That is very unlikely/impossible.

thecavemankevin
10-17-2005, 11:09 AM
That is very unlikely/impossible.

yeah, what he said

they dont really cary enough current to do something like that. Plus it would have likely fried at the network hub too if that was the case

BobTheCow
10-17-2005, 12:09 PM
That's what I figured! But, after trying a whole bunch of different combinations of things, they're both definitely dead. Weird.