PDA

View Full Version : Tank=Explosion

MAGS own YOU
12-07-2001, 03:07 PM
Well, my Mom was passing by the place where i can get my tank filled, so she brought my tank in. She said they filled it and on the way home, all of a sudden she said there was a big BOOOM and air was shooting at the window. This was my 68/4500 Nitro tank that was 1 week old. She said so much air was coming out it busted off the electric window box and put a hole in the carpet. And think about this, she was going 80 down the beltway when this happened. I dont see what happened to it, I cant see the tank because she went back to the paintball place and they sent it to the manufacterer. Shes too hysterical to explain any further detail right now...

Bonx0007
12-07-2001, 03:09 PM
You need a cap for your tank dude it is safer that way. I hope your mom is ok.

cphilip
12-07-2001, 03:10 PM
Rupture disk blew from over fill maybe?

Wow I am sure glad she is alright. Hope she doesn't get too freaked to not let you play PB.

MAGS own YOU
12-07-2001, 03:10 PM
I had a tank cover, fill nipple cover, and a cap on there. I guess the burst disks diddnt do anything either..

nutz
12-07-2001, 03:11 PM
wow that is scary... was ur tank miss treated?? that is the only way i see a tank exploding.. that sux man

Miscue
12-07-2001, 03:12 PM
Sounds like the burst disk blew. I'd notify the manufacturer.

cphilip
12-07-2001, 03:17 PM
Ya I Agree. Probably the burst disk. Remember you had 4500 psi shootin out a little hole real fast. You can slice meat with that! Well..almost.

Also they should check their fill station. I know we buy 6000 psi fill tanks and our fill station takes it down to 4500 or 3000 so you gotta double check that end of it. If that fill reg is blown its puttin almost 6000 in there.

zads27
12-07-2001, 03:17 PM
I don't think it was the burst disk that blew..
Why would they send it all the way back to the manufacturer if only the burst disk went? It had to be the reg or bottle, or something more serious.

MAGS own YOU
12-07-2001, 03:18 PM
The paintball place said it wasnt burst disk.

MAGS own YOU
12-07-2001, 03:19 PM
The tank was 1 WEEK OLD! Thats it. No it wasnt mistreated

cphilip
12-07-2001, 03:20 PM
Naw they might still send it in jsut to be sure as its so new. Or maybe they found it had the wrong disk in it? Speculation I know... But hey! Wadda we know right? ;)

Keep us informed what it is they say. We are real interested in the outcome.

Miscue
12-07-2001, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by zads27
I don't think it was the burst disk that blew..
Why would they send it all the way back to the manufacturer if only the burst disk went? It had to be the reg or bottle, or something more serious.

If it was something other than the burst disk... although I'm not saying it wasn't, who knows... the tank could very well have vented much more quickly, and he might have mentioned that his tank was flying around doing laps. The tank is obviously defective assuming it wasn't abused, for safety it should be sent back to be inspected.

ProjectMag
12-07-2001, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Bonx0007
You need a cap for your tank dude it is safer that way. I hope your mom is ok.

A cap is hardly gonna stop 4500 psi from shooting out.

deded
12-07-2001, 04:12 PM
I dont know if this is true or not... but this guy at the paintball shop told me this.

He said a guy was diving into a bunker and broke off his guage, and their was air leaking out of where the guage broke off. He put his hand over the air for some reason, and a little cut that was on his hand opened up and it inflated his arm! :eek:

Anyway, I don't know if its true or not, but I always try to be reeeeaallly careful around hpa since I heard this story. (I didn't know air could be that dangerous)

Tunaman
12-07-2001, 04:13 PM
I don't envy your MOM...had to scare the hell out of her I bet...What do you think She is gonna say when you ask her to take another to get filled? HEHE....I do feel that with the amount of tanks out there, and the amount of serious mishaps, the industry has done a pretty good job of keeping us safe. Stuff's gonna hapen...occasional defects and such. You were the unfortunate one. By the way, what kind of tank was it? Thanks:D

zads27
12-07-2001, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by MAGS own YOU
...She said so much air was coming out it busted off the electric window box and put a hole in the carpet.

"The electric window box"? Was this an Angel A.I.R. tank? I'm not very familiar with the Angel AIR electronics, or how they are mounted, so I don't know what would make it shoot off, assuming this was an Angel AIR in the first place.

Vegeta
12-07-2001, 04:22 PM
A cap doesn't protect it from bursting.. a cap will just protect the threads so they wont get mashed or something.
And by "electric window box" i think he means the panel on his cars door that has the power window buttons..

If you can prove it was overfilled.. then you could have a good case for a lawsuit. Hey it has happened before.

FaSSt
12-07-2001, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by zads27

"The electric window box"? Was this an Angel A.I.R. tank? I'm not very familiar with the Angel AIR electronics, or how they are mounted, so I don't know what would make it shoot off, assuming this was an Angel AIR in the first place.

I think he meant the car's electric power window switch housing.

It's a good thing his Mom's OK.

nelf
12-07-2001, 05:29 PM
What is the condition of the bottle now?
Is the gage intact?
Is the air fill nipple intact?

The cause is probably the burst disk. A 3500 psi burst disk may have been installed accidentally.

All so where do you live....
Burst disk on a cylinder are rated to a safety factor of a certain percentage above maximum fill pressure. This allows for variation in tank pressure due to ambient air temp. and variations in pressure.

If you live some wear hot don't cold fill the cylinder and then let it sit in the sun.....

I've been mixed gas diving for years know and actually got to do some hydrostatic testing on some new cylinder from Europe. With out a burst disk and filled with air compressed gas cylinder are dangerous....

Don't let them bounce around and if possible transport in trunk.....

Hop the info helps out.....

:p
Nelf

SuperOrangeTicTac
12-07-2001, 05:32 PM
probably over filled it and the burst disk went. Happend with my friend's Co2, but then again it wasnt under 4500 pounds of pressure.

DrEvil
12-07-2001, 09:43 PM
I had that happen to me a few years ago with a 20oz co2 tank. we didnt know what happened at first. Juts a burst disk. Funny now but not then.