PDA

View Full Version : My new E-mag grips part 2, Red

Load SM5
12-07-2001, 04:57 PM
I made another pair of acrylic grips in red. I should also have another clear pair made before Monday. I'll be needing some other opinions so if anyone wants to help me test these and give me opinions I'll send you a pair. E-mail me and we'll work out details. Don't reply here. I just wanted to shoew these off and not turn this into a "For Sale" thread.

Load SM5
12-07-2001, 04:58 PM
another...

Load SM5
12-07-2001, 04:58 PM
one more...

headcase
12-07-2001, 05:22 PM
They look pretty good, how do they feel? You should also get a pic with the marker on, so you can see what the LED looks like lit up.

Later
SSDD

Magsrule3
12-07-2001, 05:25 PM
Those Look great! I would love a pair in arcrlyic green. Could you make them for regulare .45 frames too?

Load SM5
12-07-2001, 05:28 PM
Here's a pic with the LED on, not a great one, sorry.

They are really comfy. I grooved them similiar to an Angel grip and they are a little thinner than stock ones. I could make a pair for 45 frames, too.

As of right now I only have red and clear acrylic but I'm working on getting other colored material.

headcase
12-07-2001, 06:06 PM
Cool, thanks

Later
SSDD

zads27
12-07-2001, 06:22 PM
Hmm well I had planned on making clear grips before, but you beat me to it.
What I was thinking of doing was making a cross-hatch grip kinda pattern on it.

Load SM5
12-07-2001, 06:46 PM
Here are the clear ones I posted a few days ago.

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=145749

Flamebo
12-07-2001, 06:53 PM
Spiffy!

Smokee_2_7
12-07-2001, 07:19 PM
Dude, I like. Personally I think the red looks better than the clear, but you know me. Seriously, you need to do a 'test pair' for my z-grip when i come up soon. Im thinking the clear would probably work best, but maybe a smoke color would be cool too. Anyway, catch ya later.

pumpamatic
12-07-2001, 07:58 PM
that's sweet. What all did you use to make it? I'm making some dumb ice scraper outta that stuff in tech ed, I shoulda made grips, oh well. Where did you get that acrylic?
I've don't think I've seen it in smoke colors, all I've seen is clear, red, blue, and yellow. On my ice scraper, I dipped it in some stuff called "Rubberize" or something of the sort. It puts a coating of rubber on it, you should try it. It comes in like 4 or 5 different colors, too. nice work

Load SM5
12-07-2001, 08:41 PM
I work at a sign shop so we had some of the stuff laying around. My computer was down for the better part of a week and I got bored so I decided to try making these. I'm still working on finding the other colors without having to buy a full 4'x8' sheet of the stuff. I would love some blue ones, myself.

Tell me more about this rubberize stuff. Where do you find it?

mag59459
12-07-2001, 09:47 PM
I'm next in line for testing the red ones out, They look SWEET!!

Load SM5
12-07-2001, 10:15 PM
Email me and get on the list mag59459. I've only got one semi-confirmed guy who wants to test drive these and he has'nt specified a color yet.

ralicea
12-07-2001, 10:39 PM
Load SM5...check your email and let me know!

Load SM5
12-07-2001, 10:52 PM
Ralicea-ditto:D

ralicea
12-08-2001, 12:00 AM
Thanks, I want the clear ones.

RaV3n_Pa1ntba||
12-08-2001, 12:01 AM
hey really nice work.....next year when i get my SLF. You think you can make me a pair from clear to LIGHT blue fade?

EvilErnie
12-08-2001, 12:07 AM
What are you charging to make them ...They look great!

Load SM5
12-08-2001, 12:10 AM
I have plans to mess around with some fades and keep the color transparent. I just got access to an airbrush at work so I'll be trying that. Check with me when you get your SLF.

Load SM5
12-08-2001, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by EvilErnie
What are you charging to make them ...They look great!

E-mail me. I don't want this to turn into a for sale thread.
Thanks.

FooTemps
12-08-2001, 12:22 AM
Have you tried shaping the plastic any other way? Ya know, so it's more egronomic? Or is it already comfortable enough to not need excess shaping?

Load SM5
12-08-2001, 12:32 AM
So far, with the finger/thumb grooves I carved in them they're pretty comfy as it is. I may play with something different later (especially when I make them for Smokee's Z-grip).

Chaos
12-08-2001, 02:31 AM
If you want to hit a new market, the centerflag frames take paneled grips, no one has made any replacements, and especially the uprising frames (cocker), are hitting the market big. You have to carve out sections on the inner section of the grips so they fit over the different parts inside the grip. I could send you a pair of the factory grips, so you can use them as an example, if you wanted to take a shot at making acrylic grips for the centerflag frame. On another point, I wouldn't mind having them if you could make them for my uprising frame, so of course I would pay you :) Let me know.. chaos@cazorp.com

RiceRocket
12-08-2001, 08:00 AM
Load SM5

They look great from what I can see from the pics. Did you make the holes so that the screws are a little countersunk?

Anyone who tests a pair out, please post results. Especially regarding grip while running, hands/gloves a little wet from water or paint.

Whenever you work the bugs out, I'd like to buy a pair or clears from you for my SFL.

Awesome job. Pretty soon, Mags, RT's, E-mags will have all the custom stuff other markers have available.

Load SM5
12-08-2001, 09:31 AM
Manny -Yes the holes are slightly countersunk so the heads don't stick up as far. I'm going to go find some flathead screws this weekend and see if I can't make them fit flush. As they are right, now they don't bother me But I'd like to clean up the look a little more.

pumpamatic
12-08-2001, 11:10 AM
I'm not exactly sure where you can get rubberize or anything like it. I imagine you could find it at a hardware or home improvement store. It's main purpose is to coat hand tools and provide a better grip on them. Like I said it comes in a few different colors. You can dip the object in it or brush it on, a dip looks much better. You can expect it to feel like any coating on hand tools, pliers, ratchets, etc. What did you use to buff the edges clear and put contour into it? I think I may try making some, if I get a chance.

Load SM5
12-08-2001, 12:04 PM
Oh yeah, I have seen that stuff. I've tired it on some other stuff before. That stuff does'nt stick well to smooth surfaces and eventually wears off. It's also not clear. I may try it on something though, just to see.

I can't give away all my secrets:D but it starts with a small dremel on low power and a whole lot of hand wet and dry sanding and buffing with 2 different kinds of polish and a car buffer to finish it off. Takes a bit of time but it's mostly in front of the TV watching the History channel.

MajorDamage
12-08-2001, 04:17 PM
!!I LOVE THEM BOTH!!
I E-Mailed you about getting some for my Emag! Also maybe could you make me some for my Z-Grip :D:D:D hehe!

ENDO!

Load SM5
12-08-2001, 04:22 PM
I emailed you back. I would love to make some for z-grips if I can get my hands one to pull a pattern. I want to make them so they look like they belong on the z-grip and not like they just sort of fit there.

X-Plosive
12-08-2001, 04:38 PM
if you amke them for the z-grip make them in clear. I want a pair and I'll dye them smoke:) Or atleast I'll try

Vegeta
12-08-2001, 05:24 PM
Have you thought of molding some to where you got some grip instead of a flat panel? Or how about just getting a thick panel, and filing/sanding down fringer groves in them.
Some little clear rubber stick on things for grip would look good to.. (the little circle things like rubber grip on mechanical pencils)

Load SM5
12-08-2001, 05:30 PM
They are'nt flat. They do have finger/thumb grooves carved into them, similiar to the angel grips. If they were flat I could just crank them out by the dozen but since they are grooved they take some work. So far the responce to these things has been scarry amazing. I'm going to be looking hard into having some molds made for e-mags and standard 45 frames.

Xzion
12-08-2001, 05:38 PM
Hrm, Z-Grip ones would be awsome, Currently id love a green pair, either that or clear... If I ever get my 'mag the color I want, id have to get Purple ones... so many colors! :D