PDA

View Full Version : sanding/ shortening a mag feedneck

etjoyride
10-18-2005, 06:44 PM
I was wondering how people sand their feednecks down. I'm guessing its some sort of sa, but i don't know if thats right. So if anyone knows what kind of saw is used, or if its not a saw what kind of tool is used then that would be greatly appreciated.

AGDlover
10-18-2005, 07:13 PM
they genearly mean sanding their Hopper feedneck not the acutal feedneck any mild grit sand paper should do the gob

etjoyride
10-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks rogue, and AGD lover, i want to cut the feedneck on the body not the hopper. sorry for the confusion. However, i don't think i own a dremel any longer, so if there is another tool that would work that would be great. If not then i will probably just go and buy a dremel

MAGnificents
10-18-2005, 08:01 PM
I sent mine to a machinist, but I think your best option is the dremmel. Dremmel are pretty unexpensive now, you shoulf be able to find a descent one for about $20. You should consider sanding down your hopper as well, I did my hopper with just some heavy sand paper. When I first used my shortened feedneck and hopper, I couldn't believe the difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

etjoyride
10-18-2005, 08:14 PM
well, i won't be using a hopper i'll be using eithr a homemade or store bought 10 rnd mag. so it will be low anyways

Commissar_Loki
10-19-2005, 01:01 AM
If you'r talking about cutting down a feedneck on the marker, if its the old stailess ones use a pipe cutter if you don't have access to a dremel. Should work fine without a hitch (just needs to be sanded afterwards).

-Butch

etjoyride
10-19-2005, 04:37 PM
I have a pipe cutter...i ithnk, so i'll probably try that, and then if it doesn't come out right i'll hopefully be able to save it with the dremel

Tunaman
10-19-2005, 05:15 PM
You cant cut stainless pipe with a pipe cutter. You will be there forever and then you will need a new pipe cutter. Use a chop saw with a metal blade...or mill it down... ;)

etjoyride
10-19-2005, 05:20 PM
thanks for letting me know that before i went out and tried it :) . So a chop saw should work you think?

etjoyride
10-23-2005, 01:14 PM
would this type of saw work? ( ithink its a chop saw) because i have one somewhere
http://www.sudburytaylor.com/images/worm-drive-saw-lg.jpg

anomoly40
10-23-2005, 06:07 PM
You must have the right type of blade for that to work. Don't cut it if you have the wood cutting type of blade on that type of saw. I suggest a Hacksaw or a Sawzall. If you live in a crowded neighborhood, do it out on your driveway and when you cut it off stand with the instrument you cut it with above your head and yell like a Barbarian. But it might look ghetto if you don't sand it afterward.

Look at this guy go -> :dance: Whoo hoo.

etjoyride
10-23-2005, 06:32 PM
ya i have one of those electric sander that i'll use afterwards. so wither use that saw with the right blade, or a hacksaw got it... plan on trying this tomorrow afternoon

behemoth
10-23-2005, 06:49 PM
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/machineguarding/images/chopsaw2.jpg

Thats a chopsaw.

above is a circular saw.

etjoyride
10-23-2005, 07:41 PM
would a circular saw work? my uncle had a chop saw, but it might have been stolen so i dont know what i'll be able to use if thats the case... I know that a few years back me and my cousin cut up some metal piping with some sort of hand saw, but i dont think it was stainless steel.

MagVak
10-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Is there any science to how far one should chop the feed tube(s)? What's the ultimate benefit from this mod? I would assume that it is more efficient feed of the paint, or a tighter profile of the marker.

Rather
10-24-2005, 11:27 AM
the gain is a hopper that is closer to the gun. The idea of the originally long feedneck was it gave the hopper some room to stack up balls so you don't have to shake the hopper very often. If you haveany kind of agitation motor then the extra stack won't matter much.

As for cutting it down. Just be sure to leave yourself enough room to put an elbow on it, so about or around an inch of feedneck left is good.

I've used pipe cutters on my old classic mag with a direct feed stainless body. took me a good while to get it done but It did work! If you do go that route jsut be sure that its a nice sturdy pipe cutter that can take being clamped tight. Mine turned out to be a little lopsided on the edge but that was because mine wasn't a very good one as far as lining up right, made no difference to me when the hopper was on though, I couldn't even tell there was a slight goof in it.

barjohn
10-24-2005, 10:39 PM
lol you guys are going to kill your selves.... here is what you do get a angle grinder if you do not already have one. ( example ) http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=30&categoryID=18

then get a ( Zip-cut) wheel for it. Chop the end off slowely with eye protection. Use sandpaper to get off the burrs on it. Do not use cutting fluid with a zip-cut.

If you do not have access to a zipcut or a grinder or you do not feel confidently safe doing it then get a hack-saw and use cutting fluid with it.

Yes the body is made out of stainless steel and that will make it hard to cut but it will still cut. its not like your cutting rock just harddened steel.

The use of cutting fluid will make the cutting easier.

remember to take your body off of the gun so you dont get shards of steel all over your gun and sear. you can jsut wash it off quick after too in your sink.

I cut down my feed neck by like 3/4 of an inch and i like it alot more. i did it at work and took me about 5-10 seconds with a zip cut.

cutting will be made easier if you secure the body in somthing such as a tabletop vice or secure it somehow with vice grips or somthing .

( i know this cause im a welder/fabricator and have been working with all kinds of steel )

any questions PM me.

asower
10-28-2005, 07:33 AM
Wow, talk about making the simple extremely difficult! Here is a simple method that I used: take the collar out of the elbow and slide it onto the feed neck. Get a brand new blade for your hack saw or buy the whole deal for a few bucks. Use slow steady strokes and cut right along side of the collar. The collar gives a guide for length and helps to keep your cut straight. Sand or file the rough edges and your done. Only takes about 15 minutes. :clap: