PDA

View Full Version : New Angel threads? WTF

BigEvil
10-19-2005, 08:26 AM
Anyone know whats up with the new Angels. The PL G7's and new 06 Speeds have some kind of new Angel barrel threads. So does this mean that if I decide to pick up an 06 speed all of my other Angel barrels are useless?

warbeak2099
10-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Maybe it'll be like the new Tippmann 98 threads. You can use the old barrels on the new guns, but the new barrels can't be used on the old guns.

Dayspring
10-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Nope. You can't use old threaded barrels on the new threaded guns. Although, Ken Crane was saying that they are coming out with an adapter to fix this issue. Now, I believe this only applied to the Fly G7, and not the regular G7 or 06 Speed. (having new threads that is)

rkjunior303
10-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Thats lame..

Dayspring
10-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Well, with the Fly, they cut off part of the front, and the barrel shank on the older barrels won't fit anymore. Plus, it looks like they are using a finer pitch threading.

behemoth
10-19-2005, 09:36 AM
They making the move to cocker threads too?

-- Soon that will be the standard.

phantomhitman
10-19-2005, 09:38 AM
normal angel thread, only shorter. idiot at my field cut his old angel barrel to fit the new threads.

FSU_Paintball
10-19-2005, 09:41 AM
I know the WMD has shorter threads than normal... but did they really CHANGE the threads? Because that would be lame, unless they're finally making the move to cocker threaded, which I don't think they are.

Jackel411
10-19-2005, 11:15 AM
YEah threads have been changed... its a double point ( two sets of threads ) metric of some sort.. almost the same pitch of a spyder but finer...

I already forsee alot of kids stripping out the bodies of the new angels , its than fine of a thread

SummaryJudgement
10-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Maybe that was the plan :ninja:

Dayspring
10-19-2005, 04:07 PM
Somebody mentioned that over on Angel-Owners.com. The response was, "if you want cocker threads, go buy a cocker."

They making the move to cocker threads too?

-- Soon that will be the standard.

Faddy
10-19-2005, 05:12 PM
It's my understanding that the new Angel threads are A-5 threads. Haven't seen this personally, but heard of people putting A-5 barrels on their G7 Fly's.

minimag03
10-19-2005, 06:42 PM
They need to switch to cocker threads. It isn't like WDP is making money off an aftermarket barrel for the Angel, so what do they have to loose?

NigelF
10-19-2005, 07:35 PM
It's my understanding that the new Angel threads are A-5 threads. Haven't seen this personally, but heard of people putting A-5 barrels on their G7 Fly's.

wow, that would be interesting... the A5 already uses "recycled" threads. Same the old .68 carbines and illustrators!

I cant see WDP doing that though. Its probably something new, does anyone know for certain? All this specualting is sure to cause some nasty internet rumors.

mobsterboy
10-19-2005, 07:57 PM
YEah threads have been changed... its a double point ( two sets of threads ) metric of some sort.. almost the same pitch of a spyder but finer...

I already forsee alot of kids stripping out the bodies of the new angels , its than fine of a thread

/\/\/\/\Yet another reason to stick with my Soon-to-be-pred'd 2k1 Dark Angel :headbang:

SpitFire1299
10-19-2005, 08:01 PM
I honestly dont get the point of changing.

NigelF
10-19-2005, 08:08 PM
I honestly dont get the point of changing.

for one, theres around an inch and a half of material on the barrels before any threading begins. WDP can shorten their guns if they lessen that. I'm no engineer, or machinst, but I would imagine that finer threads are more stable and less prone to wobble and shifting, and in the absence of that long area before the threads to help stabilize the barrel, a finer threading would make sense.

just thinking out loud.

Faddy
10-20-2005, 07:47 PM
They need to switch to cocker threads. It isn't like WDP is making money off an aftermarket barrel for the Angel, so what do they have to loose?

Cocker threads are far from the best out there. Just seems everyone uses them. Hopefully the industry will come up with a standard. I don't hold my breath.

mobsterboy
10-20-2005, 08:02 PM
no one ever said they were the best out there, but they are the most common. Think about it, other than spyders, cocker numbers dwarf any other gun out there

nippinout
10-20-2005, 08:06 PM
no one ever said they were the best out there, but they are the most common. Think about it, other than spyders, cocker numbers dwarf any other gun out there

They are good enough though. TK wouldn't have put crappy threads on the ULE body. But then again, it's 7075, not some crappy aluminum.

Faddy
10-21-2005, 06:01 PM
I guess my point of view is, if the industry is going to agree on a standard, it should be a high standard. Not just because everyone uses it. Sure, cocker threads are by far the most common thread out there, but they leave manufacturers limited with what they can do with it. This is exactly the reason WDP changed their threads. If you can, go look at barrels with old angel threads and autococker threads. They both have a large amount of extra material in front of the threads nearest the breach end of the barrel. This means that any manufacturer who uses the cocker or old angel threads must put atleast that much space in front of breach, but behind the threads. Cutting down that extra material would allow manufacturers to make a shorter marker, using fewer materials, and decreasing the overall weight. (Again, the reason WDP changed the threading on Angels). Also, it just took me 7 and a half full turns to put my Freak on my autococker. I don't have my IR3 handy to tell you how many turns it took to put that barrel on. It seems to me that this could be cut down to 4 or 5 turns without much problem. Although this isn't a huge issue, it's a minor annoyance of mine how many turns it takes to put my barrels on (Please don't meantion twist-lock or M98 threads :p ). When you're in an industry that is at it's pinnacle, and you're trying to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of your marker, it's these little changes that are going to give an edge. There's really not much more that can be done to an Angel (or any new, high-end gun for that matter) that will make it better.

Now, will WDP get flak for using A-5, or possibly a new proprietary threads (no real confirmation what the thread really is)? You bet. Will they still sell a lot of G7 Flys and 06 Speeds? You bet. Will that change negatively affect their company in the long term? I highly doubt it.

As for TK using cocker threads on the ULE, I would be willing to bet he chose cocker threads because they were the most common thread type out there, not because of a performance issue. Think about it, if he released the ULE and it used some other thread, there'd be dozens of posts and emails to him asking, "Why didn't you use autococker threads?" These are exactly the same comments WDP is getting from people.

B.A.M.
10-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Cocker threads are far from the best out there. Just seems everyone uses them. Hopefully the industry will come up with a standard. I don't hold my breath.
My favorite is the twist lock, so easy but its sad to see them go.

BigEvil
10-21-2005, 08:56 PM
my cocker barrels seem to wiggle loose alot more than my Angel ones.

lather
10-22-2005, 02:04 AM
my cocker barrels seem to wiggle loose alot more than my Angel ones.

Putting an o-ring around your barrel solves any wiggling loose barrels no matter what the threading.

quik
10-22-2005, 02:40 AM
My favorite is the twist lock, so easy but its sad to see them go.

It was a great idea, but in the end, too many problems. :(