PDA

View Full Version : Evil Omen...any good?

sicmag
10-22-2005, 01:47 AM
I've recently got back into PB and saw some reviews and sites that are selling the Evil Omen. This gun looks pretty sweet, an electro Lp marker w/ the major plus of being a closed bolt gun(I'm a previous 'cocker owner and I am a fan of the closed bolt operation :D ). I haven't seen any at my feild and have not heard anyone talk about them. Also whats the "cam feeding device"; I figure it's some sort of gadget that mechanically aids in feeding the balls into the marker, but how does it work? What have you guys heard or experienced with this marker (all the reviews look great, plus the price is nice and low :headbang: )(any upgrades for it, like new boards or software like ramping :shooting: ) and if you own one, how do you like it? Please, if you don't like it don't just say it "sucks" or is a POS without giving any reasons to back up you statement. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Chronobreak
10-22-2005, 09:08 AM
theyr..OK

i would say about on par with most electros in the same range.

im not a fan of the feed system,which can require tuning and can be a PITA

other than that they seem to do what theyr suppose to and hold up fairly well.

68magOwner
10-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Please explain the "major advantage" of being a closed bolt marker.....

anyway, shot one, once, and, figured that it was a nice alternative the the bko's and such in its price range, but, nothing spectacular. Is probably reccomend a promaster myself, but, the omen was by no means a bad marker, cam feed seemed to work fine, shot ok. Only bad thing i have heard about the omen is that they can be tricky to set up, but, thats really the user, not the marker.

MisterBones25
10-22-2005, 01:33 PM
my buddy shoots one. its a pretty good marker, they do take a little time to tune them, but with the 1.5 bord that is coming with them stock now, they are fast. the feed system is unique and i suggest a halo or some other force feed loader, not an egg. also hpa is a must, we tried co2 when he fist got it becase we didnt have any air, and it refuses to work properly on co2. the trigger looks real screwy but is actualy quite comfy. the only downfalls i see is that they kick like a horse and sound like a howitzer with the stock barrel. but for the money, its a very well built gun. evil did a good job. the only real upgrades for it are new trigger, posibly a new bolt on pbn, a va with a guage port, and if you buy an older one, get a 1.5 board and a 1.5 cam arm. and fyi, the barrel threads are cocker and the feedneck threads are impulse. hope this helps.

SpitFire1299
10-22-2005, 02:33 PM
I shot one before.. they're decent. I dont like how its like powerfeed though, thats kind of wierd. The trigger is also kind if wierd.. :tard: If your looking into buying one, i say get something like a b2k4 with pds, they are nice guns.

tyrion2323
10-22-2005, 04:30 PM
The Evil Omen is a well-priced introductory Electro.

It has a lot of great advantages, including the mechanical anti-chop system (Cam Feeding). This is NOT a powerfeed - I don't even understand how someone could mistake the two. Powerfeeds were used in order to stop balls from jumping back up into the hopper. The offset-feed on the Omen allows the cam feed to work. It doesn't unbalance the gun at all...

Secondly, at a low price, you get a lot of benefits. It's well built, easily maintained and quite reliable. It operates like a closed-bolt spyder, and it's darn stylish, too! :)

The 2.0 Omen is probably the best deal for them. I think they're around $300 or so, and they include the updated boards, triggers, feednecks, recock adjusters and more. Omens had a hard time in the beginning, but the kinks have been worked out.

Now, there are some things to consider.

Firstly, the Omen is not a marker for morons. If you think you're smarter than the gun...well, you're not. You NEED to read the instructions and learn how to properly tune and adjust this marker. Because the cam feed is controlled by bolt pressure, you want to make sure you have proper recocking pressure so as not to (a) increase kick and (b)break balls in the breech.

Secondly, every time you adjust the velocity, you will need to adjust the recock pressure. You will learn how to do it well, but it takes time. Don't rush it!

Overall, the Omen is a great deal. Some of the older ones are selling for decent prices now - $150 without regs... Throw a reg and a 1.5 board on there, and you've got yourself a decent $250 electro.

..heck, I might even have one to sell :)

peewee
10-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Omen II over the omen. It is the second generation & has the bugs worked out. they are a good quality marker with the best warranty in paintball.

sicmag
10-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Please explain the "major advantage" of being a closed bolt marker.....

I didn't start this thread to debate over the "open/closed bolt debate" that has existed since the invention of guns that utilized both methods (...but, it doesn't surprise me that someone had to bring up the issue after I said that the Omen's closed bolt operation was a "major advantage"). I'm just speaking from my own experiences and I beleive that closed bolt markers are more accurate from the experience I have gained from playing paintball and using different markers. I say this because I used the same barrel on my 'cocker that I now use on my 'mag w/ the same field paint and as far as accuracy goes... my 'cocker shot a much tighter grouping than my current 'mag. Say what you will, but it did...period :shooting: . Now my 'cocker was set up mechanically and it could never touch the bps rate that my 'mag can w/ a RT mechanical frame. I love my 'mag and have quickly become a big fan of AGD :headbang:. You asked me to explain the "major advantage" of a closed bolt marker and I believe that they are more accurate when compared to open bolts (at least 'cockers, b/c that's what I have used). Once again I'm not saying this b/c of some article I read in a magazine or the open/closed bolt accuracy experiment on WARPIG; this is just my take on the issue from my experiences w/ using different paintball markers :D .

tyrion2323
10-23-2005, 12:28 PM
...right...

Well, the Omen is a great marker, no matter.

Gen
10-25-2005, 12:51 PM
I owned an Omen. It was my first electro marker. I loved it. Its a basice stacked tube blowback marker (Spyder clone) that has a 2 piece bolt which allows it to be closed bolt. But you do need to read the manual. So many problems people experience with the Omen could be solved just by reading the manual. Once you set the recock correctly, it is pretty much impossible to chop a ball. Much like the star feeder on an A-5, the cam feed on the Omen either puts a ball in the breach or doesn't. Except its not driven by air, its actuated by the movement of the bolt. It's mechanically impossible to "chop" a ball with it. You can however adjust it so it throws a ball into the breach so hard it will break the ball. And an unmodified 1.0 Omen can't use force feed hoppers, they will force a ball between the 2 paddles. I had the first style Omen. I modified the cam feed paddles so I could run a Halo and put in an aftermarket board so it had debounce and wasn't capped at 15. I even entered some tournaments with it and did fairly well. Evil customer service it great. Overall its a good and unique marker.

sicmag
10-26-2005, 12:23 AM
I owned an Omen. It was my first electro marker. I loved it. Its a basice stacked tube blowback marker (Spyder clone) that has a 2 piece bolt which allows it to be closed bolt. But you do need to read the manual. So many problems people experience with the Omen could be solved just by reading the manual. Once you set the recock correctly, it is pretty much impossible to chop a ball. Much like the star feeder on an A-5, the cam feed on the Omen either puts a ball in the breach or doesn't. Except its not driven by air, its actuated by the movement of the bolt. It's mechanically impossible to "chop" a ball with it. You can however adjust it so it throws a ball into the breach so hard it will break the ball. And an unmodified 1.0 Omen can't use force feed hoppers, they will force a ball between the 2 paddles. I had the first style Omen. I modified the cam feed paddles so I could run a Halo and put in an aftermarket board so it had debounce and wasn't capped at 15. I even entered some tournaments with it and did fairly well. Evil customer service it great. Overall its a good and unique marker.

Sounds cool, I'm thinking about getting my kid brother one for Christmas, so I was seeing what kind of experiences you guys have had w/ em. Thanks for the help :headbang:

Pha|anx
10-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Never dealt with anything Evil-- But according to most he is the guy to buy from.

http://bosspaintballproducts.com/