PDA

View Full Version : question about protos

paintballfreak90
10-27-2005, 07:14 PM
does anyone know how good they are out of the box....if i got one would i need any ups and if i would then what do you recomend. lmk

SlipknotX556
10-27-2005, 07:23 PM
They are great out of box, dont really need anything. You can replace the barrel if you want, but thats your choice. Only thing I did to mine was a new chip, so its NXL legal.

BD_Paintball
10-27-2005, 07:26 PM
people on the whitewater team have almost stock protos and they are very nice. the only thing that i would upgrade is the bolt guide and maybe the lpr if you dont have all day air. those things will help with efficiency. other then that they are really nice.

paintballfreak90
10-27-2005, 07:53 PM
yea i was thinking of just doin the barrel since I will have access to all day air. will i need a new trigger?

magman007
10-28-2005, 02:23 AM
nope, no new trigger is needed. most of the upgrades, arent really needed, just fun. grab an 05 up in a month or so since the 06's will be out in force.

Bolt and bolt guide, are good for efficiency if you feel the need, the trigger is a dm4 trigger, which is a rockin trigger. Board, get it flashed if you want, buy a new board, or be happy with dye programming. nothing wrong with it, i just personally prefer tadao.

the gun rocks out of the box, just lube it up with some slick honey, and maybe a new barrel, and you are set to go.

latches109
10-28-2005, 05:54 AM
if you put slick honey make sure you change your dwell(18 is stock, try 16), because the lube has a different viscosity than the dye lube. I use slick honey, it's great; you can buy it from a local bike shop rather than paying the marked up paintball version. It is the same exact lube for alot cheeper. I wasn't a fan of the stock trigger so i got a cp roller and love it. I like the angle. But it is all personal preference.

White_Noise
10-28-2005, 10:27 AM
im getting one of the new 06's and will be changing the barrel, and possibly the reg.

main reason for changing the barrel...i almost exclusively shoot 16" large bore barrels, help with pushing bunkers outta the way, and less breaks. Changing the reg because i just prefer CP/Shocktech regs.

also, go to http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=887678 for info on how to tune matrixes if you really feel like messing with your gun.

Boski51
10-28-2005, 10:39 AM
I have a DM5 and upd the bolt (A play back and need the increased efficency) and put a chip in it. I play with the stock ultra lite and I love it.

I have owned most of the top end markers out in the past few years and I have to say, I think the DM is best suited to my game.

You will not go wrong with that as your marker.

Good Luck!

phantomhitman
10-28-2005, 12:24 PM
what bolt do you have, im asuming the evolve. If so how is it working out for you, because I am afraid to use it.

Boski51
10-31-2005, 09:13 PM
Use the evolve bolt, easy to use and worth the price!!!! Go for it. Get the extra orings just in case.

Boski

Lohman446
10-31-2005, 09:38 PM
White noise - talk to me in PMs about selling me your stock 06 barrel at some point - and in answer to the original question, my Proto (PM5) is competetive, and all I have done is set the trigger.

nt2004
10-31-2005, 10:08 PM
Just replace the barrel, leave the reg alone, and make sure you give it time to break in. Alot of new owners expect perfect consistency right out of the box. Remember that the regs have a break in period of about a case/case and a half.

onedude36
10-31-2005, 11:20 PM
Do proto's come stock with clamping feednecks? The ones ive seen havent. That would be the first thing to replace if it was me.

quik
10-31-2005, 11:29 PM
Do proto's come stock with clamping feednecks? The ones ive seen havent. That would be the first thing to replace if it was me.

No they dont come with clamping necks, and yes they are a good idea to invest in.

Pha|anx
11-01-2005, 12:33 PM
STD LPR, Bolt Guide, Clamping Feed-- And your set.

Lohman446
11-01-2005, 12:35 PM

I though that too - as a mater of fact I have a CCM adjustable here that I never installed - mine fit an unsanded Empire perfectly.

FSU_Paintball
11-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Out of the box they're great... but I'd spend $25 more and order one with the Musashi code, which will give you lots of adjustable options and firing modes. Aside from that, a barrel and a clamping feed neck and an on/off if it doesn't come with one.