PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a marker

SNDavidson
10-29-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm about to fly home on leave, want to paintball with old buddies. How will this work? Is there any way to actualy travel with my gear? Or will I have to mail it to my home adress? By the way, how do all the tournament players do it?

Cow hunter
10-29-2005, 05:05 PM
you could probably just break it down into smaller pieces and put them in different bags......or mail it overnight

neppo1345
10-29-2005, 05:12 PM
jsut check it...well...the gun and everything, I'm not so sure about how the tanks work though...they might be fine as long as theres no pressure in em...

SNDavidson
10-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Anyone who's actually done this before (no offense meant at all)?

SpitFire1299
10-29-2005, 05:28 PM
There recently was a thread about this... I just searched and got no results. Some thing said were like ask the airline about it, etc.

behemoth
10-29-2005, 05:32 PM
I'd ask the airlines.

You'll need to dissassemble it, and take the reg off of the tank so they can make absolutely sure theres no air in it.

SNDavidson
10-29-2005, 05:37 PM
well gee wiz, if that's the case I'll just waste money mailing my stuff, I will be calling the airline before i book my flight though, hopefully a better option arises. Oh, and, how do the pros do it? This situation has made me wonder what they do to get from A to B with everything they need.

SNDavidson
10-29-2005, 05:39 PM
Makes me think that they don't actually own their stuff, but rather are outfitted with what they need upon arrival, which would be pretty sweet.

wanna-b-ballin'
10-29-2005, 06:38 PM
bring everything but your tank. surely one of your friends has a spare.

Skoad
10-29-2005, 06:38 PM
just be sure to call it a 'marker' if you talk to the airline :)

nicad
10-29-2005, 06:49 PM
mail it. Don't risk checking your tank in luggage. Airlines have gotten way too jumpy about things like that.

...while your at it, just ship it all so they don't X-ray your luggage and see things that look like "guns". I had them freak-out on an Xbox one time.. it was moded and had extra stuff on the outside of it. They didn't like it too much.

I used to fly with my equipment all broken down-- regs off of tanks, etc.. but that was a couple of years ago. They have gotten a lot worse since.

No matter what, things you should NOT do:
taking any gun components as carry one.
leaving the regs on tanks.
ever mention the word "gun".

out!

ZimMonkey
10-29-2005, 06:55 PM
I travel all the time and always bring my paintball guns. My advice: Save the hassle. Mail your stuff. Not only will you be able to get on the plane without a problem, but your stuff wont get stolen and/or lost. It will be eagerly awaiting you at home

-ZimMonkey

personman
10-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Mailing will save you alot of trouble. Id say mail your tank and gun. Everything else you can probably fly with.

WaStEd TaLeNt
10-29-2005, 11:31 PM
When I flew home last year, I went on the safe side and declared my mag as a firearm so they knew it was there. As for they tank, you do have to take the reg off. I had no problems after I declared it as a firearm when I checked in. Hope you make it alright

JRingold
10-29-2005, 11:36 PM
The TSA has gotten paranoid about tanks, and they have required that the regulators be separated from the tanks (at least when I have traveled). Check it out with the Airline and even call the TSA if you have to. I would highly recommend sending it Fedex or UPS anyway, it just saves the headache and will probably get there before you do if you time ir right. I've even sent mine overnight and it was at my hotel before I landed.

If you just play stock class, you don't have to worry about tanks...

BuddyChrist
10-30-2005, 07:50 AM
If you plan to fly with your cylinder you must do the following:

Have a properly trained and qualified person remove the regulator/valve from your cylinder.
Go to http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/...torial_1745.xml and print four copies of the page.
Using a rubber band place one copy around your cylinder.
Place your cylinder without the regulator/valve in your checked baggage.
Give one copy of the page to the person where you check in at the airport.
Keep the other two copies for the flight home.
Please note that this is a brand new change for TSA and the airlines. There may still be some risk that your cylinder will be confiscated, so make every effort to inform the screeners and airline personnel. If it looks like they will not allow your cylinder to be transported, you should ship it to your hotel. Please forward this to as many paintball players as possible and feel free to copy and paste it in it's entirety on paintball newsgroups and forums.

found this somewhere

Recon by Fire
10-30-2005, 08:25 AM
That is a good idea, if only the airline goons could read! LOL

You can fly with a firearm with no trouble so the marker will be no problem except for the air tank. I flew with mine out to Seattle once but that was a while ago. I didn;t remove the reg from my tabk but it was a Max Flow and the gauges were at "0" and the valve was left open.

Creative Mayhem
10-30-2005, 08:40 AM
I have travelled back and forth from Canada to the US several times over the last few years. I have never had any issues other than the initial screening, and having to explain what is in my luggage.

What I do is:

* keep my guns in cases(edge kit cases work perfect lol)

* remove regs from my tanks, easy to do for adjustables(I love my flatline)

* wrap my tanks in the TSA notice Transporting Paintball Cylinders (http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=09000519800d8449)

* add a paintball magazine with a relatively benign cover(non war looking)

Always make sure you can explain exactly what you have, and why you have it there.

Tunaman
10-30-2005, 08:58 AM
ask the airline first. I know for a fact that ATA airlines will not let you bring ANY kind of tank on board. They wouldn't even hold it for us till someone picked it up. We lost a nice flatline and tank because of it...