PDA

View Full Version : Barrel leak, and bolt goes click,click,click...

Walker
11-03-2005, 09:39 PM
when holding the trigger back.

I got the Mag used, aired it up, leaking down the barrel.

Disassembled, found a washer instead of a power tube oring in the tube.

Got a power tube oring from the local shop, stripped and regreased the reg. Removed, cleaned, reoiled, and replaced the on/off. Oiled the power tube exterior, cleaned and oiled the bolt. Inserted the new powertube oring....

Reassembled, aired up, no leaks. First trigger pull I get a large barrel leak, and when I hold the trigger back the leak goes away, but the bolt clicks forward and back about once a second. When I release the trigger, the barrel leak returns.

The reg and the on/off were reassembled and reinserted according to the diagram on AGD's website.

The current spacer in the powertube is a .220.

Any thoughts on where to start?

As a side note, I have a Parts Kit, and a Spacer Kit on the way, but since the retailer ships via UPS I don't expect to see them for 7-10 days.

Thanks in advance,

Walker

Coralis
11-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Reassembled, aired up, no leaks. First trigger pull I get a large barrel leak, and when I hold the trigger back the leak goes away, but the bolt clicks forward and back about once a second. When I release the trigger, the barrel leak returns

Do you have a main spring on the bolt ? Typically a leak down the bolt is caused by a leaking on/of oring or a bad power tube Oring/improper sized spacer . Have you been through the debugging procedure on the AGD website http://www.airgun.com/debug.shtml also check to make sure you didnt put the on/off pin in upside down.

Walker
11-04-2005, 01:08 AM
Thanks Coralis....

I did go through the debugging procedure on the AGD Website, and I'm still a bit stumped. I suspect a combination of worn seals and sear. I placed an online order for a spacer kit, parts kit, and a sear. I also have another bolt on the way.

1. Bolt sprinq was installed...
2. Power tube oring replaced, .220 spacer installed (it was in the tube when I got it, and it's only one I have until the new kit arrives).
3. The on/off orings look Ok under a magnifying glass, but I'm old (50) and my eyesight may not be perfect.
4. I did check the on/off pin, and when I got the gun it was in upside down (notch facing inwards).

The part of the sear that hits the on/off pin appears to be well worn, and does not protrude very far above the body. Is it possible that it isn't pushing the pin up far enough, with just enough air leaking to click the bolt ahead, spring pushes it back, enough air leaks past the on/off, and clicks the bolt, over and over?

I apologize for my impatience... I just HATE having a gun sitting on the table that doesn't work.

Unfortunately none (zero,nada,zip,zilch) of the local shops carry AGD parts. I had to order from out of town and they ship via UPS... 7-10 days wait... :(

Walker

Do you have a main spring on the bolt ? Typically a leak down the bolt is caused by a leaking on/of oring or a bad power tube Oring/improper sized spacer . Have you been through the debugging procedure on the AGD website http://www.airgun.com/debug.shtml also check to make sure you didnt put the on/off pin in upside down.

athomas
11-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Repeated bolt movement while holding the trigger in, would indicate an on-off oring leak. The barrel leak would indicate a powertube oring or spacer problem. Check the sear as well. A worn sear can have adverse effects on the gun. A worn sear would cause the bolt to sit farther forward, which would require a shorter powertube spacer.

Walker
11-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks athomas...

I cured the problem with repeated bolt movement by adjustment of the trigger rod.

I'm currently in the process of manually adjusting the length of the one spacer that I do have...

Walker
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Repeated bolt movement while holding the trigger in, would indicate an on-off oring leak. The barrel leak would indicate a powertube oring or spacer problem. Check the sear as well. A worn sear can have adverse effects on the gun. A worn sear would cause the bolt to sit farther forward, which would require a shorter powertube spacer.

Walker
11-04-2005, 08:34 PM
I found it! It was the power tube spacer. I filed down the one I had until slowly but surely the barrel leak disappeared.... The .220 spacer has now been reduced to .193.

To athomas and Coralis.... By helping me understand how this works, I was able to find and fix the problem. It was greatly appreciated! Thanks alot...

Now, the required picture:

http://home.comcast.net/~lucastl/pball/zmag.jpg

A Galacticz Z-Mag and barrel with a 4-Star MiniMag valve, Eclipse rail, and a Dye frame. I'm not sure who made the foregrip with the barrel plug in the end. This isn't the final configuration though. I have an Intelliframe and bottomline/on-off setup on the way.

Since it takes Cocker barrels I'll be able to use the ones I currently have if I don't want to mess with the spin effect.

I had forgotten how nice these shoot... 30 shots across my old ShootingChrony, with a standard deviation of 4.58fps, and an average of 295fps.. The high shot was 304, the lowest was 285, using 8-month old paint. I was using HPA.....

I love these guns.........

Thanks again,

Walker

Coralis
11-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Your welcome, sweet looking mag . The front grip looks kinda like one of the smart parts gadget grips..

athomas
11-07-2005, 10:37 AM
[QUOTE=Walker]Thanks athomas...

I cured the problem with repeated bolt movement by adjustment of the trigger rod.
QUOTE]

I think you fluked out there. Adjusting the trigger rod probably lets the sear move farther back, which would push the on-off pin farther into the on-off top oring. This would seal the air better. The best fix would be to replace the on-off top oring. That way, the on-off pin would seal the air off before the sear actually lets go of the bolt. Then, no matter what, if the sear is held so that the bolt could move, the on-off would prevent any air from moving into the front chamber. Thus, you would get no additional bolt movement any time the trigger is held back.