PDA

View Full Version : What is "Emo"?

lather
11-14-2005, 03:24 AM
Okay, either because I live in the middle of the Pacific ocean or that I may no longer be young and hip, (probably the latter) what exactly is emo? I seen some pics and references to people described as emo but im still not 100% sure who/what they are.

From what I have seen, my best guess is Emo is either a descendant of what we used to call Goths 10-12 years ago, or perhaps offspring of Robert Smith of The Cure. If im way off base, would some of the younger peeps explain to me what they are, what do they want, and how do I prevent my children from becoming one?

Thanks

firebanex
11-14-2005, 03:28 AM
as far as i can tell they listen to a certin style of music and wear really tight pants... they kind of creep me out... but i've never really known any only seen them...

quik
11-14-2005, 03:50 AM
As I see it, it seems that it is just people who are not always positive, in a negative mood, and usually like to associate themselves with negetive things, such as negetive, sad, depressing music, and negetive thoughts. Seems like they like to hang out in groups at skateparks or not-so-good-band shows. You can usually spot them with have long black hair, with a couple highlights, and wear very tight pants, usually wearing some kind of 'name brand' skateboarding sneaker. For some reason, it is associated with skateboarding now, which sucks for all the actual skaters.

Most fake it though, and arent depressed, just confused.

magman007
11-14-2005, 04:17 AM
emo is different from what it used to be. First off its a music style, think weezer and jimmy eat world, well it used to be. It used to be running around in sweater vests, old vans skate shoes, and some non prescription buddy holly glasses.

Now, its turned the way of goth, bands like my chemical romance, fallout boy, and alot of other no talent crap sack bands. This is where the kids shop at hot topic and slit their wrists to let the cold dark rain that flows through their veins out. or some crap like that.

for some reason, "chixk pants" have been a big piece of it, i dunno, the music sucks and its a crappy trend now.

Maggot6
11-14-2005, 06:16 AM
In my school, the "emo" is..

Someone who has died black hair.
IT has to cover their eyes, so you can't tell what they are looking at
Glasses, whether you need them or not
DIscoloured Socks, that are pulled up as high as possible
Converse Shoes, preferbly pink and black
Gathered in darker places, or just places where most people aren't.
When in groups, all discuss how terrible their life is in a rhythmatic tone, it sounds like moaning
Tight, Girl Sweaters over a rather large disco type of vest, which is overtop a normal t-shirt
Yet again, tight girl pants that are short, so their socks show off better
PRetend to have a father or mother who beats them
Pretend to slit their wrists
Do NOT have any positive attitude when doing anything within their emo group.

And sadly enough, once they are away from their group, they are normal happy people. They put on some sick show, every day of their life taking away from the kids who actually do slit their wrists, and ruin their lives.

Inbetween some Vending Machines in my school is where they all lay on eachother, sometimes in layers moaning. I was thinking of photoshopping a picture of a guys arm in a garbage disposal, and saying "Slit it right the first time". Because they always get attention for how depressed they are, even get pity marks from the teachers. And it aggrivates me.

They have to listen to Emo music. Preferbly Screamo, which is just annoying to the normal human mind... Bands such as "Thursday" "Taking back Sunday" "Alexisonfire"...

Grrr :mad:

Echo419
11-14-2005, 06:34 AM
In my school, the "emo" is..

qft

Lohman446
11-14-2005, 07:07 AM
Its that whiney kid who needs a haircut and clothes that actually fit them rather than someone three sizes down. The kind that create a lot of stress in my life because I have to constantly remind myself not to beat the crap out of them.

Emo - nothing a good stint in the marines wouldn't cure

Cow hunter
11-14-2005, 07:13 AM
i think they're wanna be goths with tight clothes........

Vex
11-14-2005, 07:20 AM
From the descriptions, they sound like what used to be called "Goths". They usually listened to bands such as Bauhaus, The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Christian Death, etc. At least those bands had talent and made you believe that they were depressed about real life situations.

stop whining buy a mag
11-14-2005, 08:21 AM
It's hard to connect "goths" with "emo kids". Emo kids do generally listen to annoying screamo music. Goth people are more known for listening to heavier metal bands that have more talent. There's a video going around called "Stop the emo Haircuts". It's quite funny.

Emo makes our lives miserable.

slateman
11-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Emo is short for emotional. Basically its kids who are all emotional and whiny, and believe that they're life is the worst ever and no one understands them . .

In other words, Emo = Teenager :D

lopxtc
11-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Eh they are all posers ... just remind them that this is the original Emo;

http://omnipop.com/images/photos/large/Emo5bg.jpg

Aaron

slade
11-14-2005, 10:00 AM
emo is livejournal.com.

this is an example:

okay, so things haven't been good, they haven't been really bad. they've been more bad than good i guess. it just seems like nothing's working out. i hardily talk to anyone anymore. my family's having a yard sale, so i was cleaning out my closet and it made me all nostalgic. i feel so bad giving away gifts that people have given me that i never used, mostly my mom. she tries really hard, even when she thinks i'm being weird. so i feel awful giving away stuff she gives me. when me and maggie were growing up my mom always made our halloween costumes because buying them was expensive. one year i told her i wanted to buy mine because the ones she made never turned out like i wanted them too. i still feel horrible for saying that. she tried so hard. and anything i bought wouldn't have worked either, because i wanted a costume so awesome that people would think that i WAS whatever i was dressed up as. one time i went as a husky and my mom made me a sled. a freakin' sled. and i told her that the costumes she made were bad. i suck. i regret not telling her what a good mother she's been. i regret a LOT of ****. ugh. i feel like such a ****ty person right now. i hate hurting people's feelings more than anything in the world. i hate how boring i am and how i'm so fake by trying not to be. i want to be some marilyn monroe punk rock pixie chick but i'm still really just the weird chick in overalls and big glasses who reads too many fantasy books. my life has been so worthless. i haven't done anything. i'm so selfish. i wish i knew what people said behind my back. i hate that i care. but some people grate on my nerves wicked bad, so i figure i must do the same to someone else, and i want to know what i do that annoys them. i guess i just want to know because i've never thought i'm that annoying i guess. i'm annoying in that i still really wish i was a kid but i'm too grown up. i can't stop thinking about the future enough to enjoy the present. but i just don't wanna **** things up. i ALWAYS **** **** up. i'm not really good at anything. i've always been told i'm good at drawing, but there are so many people who are better, i'll never be able to support myself with it. and i'm not creative anymore. did the adderall take that? was i ever? people told me i was. i miss it. i miss who i used to be, i can't wait to be someone else. someone less fake. i'm really not a good person at all. i laugh at racist jokes and jokes about retarded people, i don't stand up for anything. i've done horrible things and i can barely stand myself for it. i really don't like who i am right now.

who am i to you?
actually, that girl is really happy and energetic in person...

its sorta funny, theres so much stereotyping and generalization in this thread... then again, i guess thats what the thread is about.

teufelhunden
11-14-2005, 10:10 AM
emosong.ytmnd.com

neppo1345
11-14-2005, 12:03 PM
emo is actually a synonym for gay...

tsc
11-14-2005, 02:00 PM
emo is actually a synonym for gay...

Oh you card your.

mr.mag218
11-14-2005, 03:29 PM
i wanted to dye my hair black, and get my lip peirced, and aparently thats emo. but prevent your kids from being emo by.....beating them when their hair gets long, don't feed them when they listen to "my chemical romance" and stick to the usual swinging of sticks that are on fire, bongo's, and grassy loin cloths.

B.A.M.
11-14-2005, 03:41 PM
i think of them as a sub divison of punks but really gay. I hate emo music, always complainting. So thats why i prefur ska and hardcore punk who dont complaine of not being loved. Best example of an emo band is Good Charleot. Tight pants don't neccesarly mean emo, some of my ska friends where tight pants(not me i like them loose).

Lohman446
11-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Goth = will fight back and fight dirty in a fight
Emo = will curl up in a ball and wonder why noone likes them as they get pommelled

Jeffy-CanCon
11-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks, lather, for starting this thread. I've been mildly curious about this, too, but never motivated enough to actually ask.

Thanks Maggot6 & slade for giving good, helpful answers.

Thanks, Lohman, for that last funny if slightly cruel image.

:cheers:

Pacifist_Farmer
11-14-2005, 04:06 PM
you want "EMO"

read this comic

http://www.questionablecontent.net/

its actually pretty good (and I'm not emo), make sure you start at the beginning

Cow hunter
11-14-2005, 06:37 PM
check it (http://artpad.art.com/gallery/?iobuqjuujxs) "how to be emo" :)

tribalman
11-14-2005, 06:54 PM
actually, Emo was a band with that took up wearing those clothes and accessoriers. they kinda sucked so they didn't last. they were kinda known in chicago a bit, i still will sometmies hear Emo on the radio, but they didn't last. it is a offshoot of punk and goth. taking the panzyiest parts of both and mashing them up into a new subculture.

tropical_fishy
11-14-2005, 07:03 PM
Emo entails wearing pants so tight the possibility of having children is greatly reduced.

And ya'll talk about it like it's a bad thing.

lather
11-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the helpful answers all was something I was wondering about for a while!

*The More You Know*

bentothejam1n
11-14-2005, 09:45 PM
yea emo kids tend to walk around with their arms around their stomachs acting like they are fat but they arent
infact some people consider them "metro" which I dont
ex. of hairhttp://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:tx1JsiIz8OIJ:i.xanga.com/ThatEmoKid_x/mytrevsign.JPG
ill bring the camera to school to get some

In other words, Emo = Teenager
dude thats the biggest stereotype since like asain people are short......
not a good analogy but hopefully you get the point
Like theres only 40 emo kids at a school of 2,500

maxama10
11-14-2005, 09:57 PM
i think they're wanna be goths with tight clothes........
eghh that pretty much sums it up....

wanna-b-ballin'
11-14-2005, 11:29 PM
a few years ago i was told i was emo. i was like, sweet, i am cool. but then i thought about it, and realized that was lamesauce. i never dressed, acted, looked, or had anything to do with them. i never understood.

wanna-b-ballin'
11-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Eh they are all posers ... just remind them that this is the original Emo;

http://omnipop.com/images/photos/large/Emo5bg.jpg

Aaron

who is that?

neppo1345
11-14-2005, 11:33 PM
If someone told me i was Emo, I would seriously consider ending my life...but would that create a catch 22? Oh god...

Vex
11-15-2005, 07:46 AM
So thats why i prefur ska and hardcore punk
Totally off subject: I never understood how someone can like both hard core punk and ska...they just don't mix. Ska is too crappy, with all the trumpets and stuff. It's like Disneytized punk.

I just never understood.

thefuzz
11-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Look take it from someone who's been there done that. I was in the local Punk scene for 3-4 years going to concerts ranging from Oi! (skinhead punk) to some harder core Pop Punk (ie. Old Greenday)...then I realized how stupid the whole concept was. I still enjoy the music, but the lifestyle is just so depressing now that I look on it. I've been to Emo concerts and the only time those people smile is when they've let their guard down and forgot people are looking at them. Emo guys are those that are "sensitive" and most Emo music has to do with some girl breaking up with them from 10 years ago and how sad he was and how much he cried or some girl he saw in the mall and he wished he asked out because he was so scared and sensitive and now he always regrets the decision not to ask her out which makes him cry.

Basically the Emo kid is the kid that you always knew you could beat up...even the "dorks" and the "nerds" could do it becuase they never fought back.

Oh that Flash video on how to be Emo is hilarious: "Disclaimer: Emo kids are not ninjas...Asian kids who wear black are ninjas"

lopxtc
11-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Dude that is Emo Phillips ...

Honestly I always figured the term Emo was based around this guy. He is a comedian that at one time dressed in all black, had the straight flat black hair, talked in a slow drool manner, and most of his jokes were all depressing jokes aimed at how bad his life was.

aaron

who is that?

phantomhitman
11-15-2005, 12:43 PM
If someone told me i was Emo, I would seriously consider ending my life.....

your emo, king of the emos, and emo forever

neppo1345
11-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Yes...excuse to use floyd lyrics

Goodbye, cruel world,
I’m leaving you today.
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.

Goodbye all you people,
There’s nothing you can say,
To make me change my mind.
Goodbye.

No...really...I'm just kidding...nobody call the suicide police or anything...

Migz
11-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Hay this sounds like my sister. :rofl: . But she was doing before it became a fade. We have a kids like that where I work at. But I don't know what click they belonged to.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
11-15-2005, 07:03 PM
you want "EMO"

read this comic

http://www.questionablecontent.net/

its actually pretty good (and I'm not emo), make sure you start at the beginning

That is the indie scene, not the emo scene.

B.A.M.
11-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Totally off subject: I never understood how someone can like both hard core punk and ska...they just don't mix. Ska is too crappy, with all the trumpets and stuff. It's like Disneytized punk.

I just never understood.
Its just what i like, if you want to listen to some good ska try operation ivy lots of there songs dont have trumets which you dont need to be ska.

CAPTINSANE
11-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Emo isn't Emo anymore...it is pop...the same way punk went pop and died...the same way punk isn't punk anymore

Ov3rmind
11-18-2005, 03:09 AM
Well, there's emo, and then there's emo.

The emo most people are talking about today is just a bad trend. Mainly, it's suburban teens looking for a reason to complain and act depressed, while trying to come off as "artsy". They listen to a lot of terrible pop rock and dress in a style that seems to have spawned from glam rock. Most listen to a newer generation of pop rock bands like Senses Fail, Taking back Sunday, Atreyu, and the like. I think a lot of people in this thread are familiar with this.

Then, there's the lesser known emo, also what the word was originally used for. In the early 80's, much of punk and hardcore had developed a huge mob mentality, and essentially, was starting to become what it originally was created to oppose. A group of bands at this time vehemtly opposed this. They created bands that were known as "emotional hardcore" or "emotional punk" bands. Rather than write about unity, mass politics, teenage rebellion, etc., they wrote about issues that were more important to them personally. The name used to describe this movement was emo. Some of the originators of this genre were Embrace, Rites of Spring, and Dag Nasty. Later bands include Turning Point, Mineral, and Moss Icon. A lot of people think the genre died in the mid 90's; in a way it evolved into the current slew of pop rock today (which is often mislabeled as "emo." in reality, they're just boy bands with a new look.).

Vex
11-18-2005, 04:22 AM
Its just what i like, if you want to listen to some good ska try operation ivy lots of there songs dont have trumets which you dont need to be ska.
I know a lot of people who like both ska and punk...I just never understood how/why. Actually, this falls more on the punk side. If you are really punk, I don't see how you can like ska.

I know that not all ska contains trumpet/horns. Take a listen to real ska--1960s Bob Marley--you might be surprised.

ThePixelGuru
11-18-2005, 11:46 AM
That is the indie scene, not the emo scene.
Indie is uppity, pretentious emo with bands no one's heard of.

FYI - The Cure? Not emo.

Kai
11-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Nobody takes emo seriously anymore. I don't know if it even counts as a real genre, because everyone who has any taste realized that it sucks. Most bands that people list as emo don't even fit the bill, anyway.

Emo style is so intigrated into indie style now that it is impossible to tell the two apart. So whatev.

Ska sucks.

bentothejam1n
11-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Ska sucks
i hope your kidding or else i'd have to eat you....
but i found it funny that my school newspaper had a editorial cartoon making fun of emo kids
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/creativewiritng4/better.jpg

Kai
11-19-2005, 04:00 AM
i hope your kidding or else i'd have to eat you....
but i found it funny that my school newspaper had a editorial cartoon making fun of emo kids
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/creativewiritng4/better.jpg

I'm actually not kidding at all, because Ska does, in fact, suck.

Also,

There are a lot of REALLY hot girls who dig the emo/indie style... Something else to consider, I suppose.

Kai
11-19-2005, 04:32 AM
Oh yeah, and...

That song 'Ska Sucks' by Propaghandi is the ultimate in irony because they meant it to be ironically funny (ska band singing a song about ska sucking lol!) but it just turned out to be true, which increased the irony levels and that, in turn, increased the hilarity levels.

thefuzz
11-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Oh yeah, and...

That song 'Ska Sucks' by Propaghandi is the ultimate in irony because they meant it to be ironically funny (ska band singing a song about ska sucking lol!) but it just turned out to be true, which increased the irony levels and that, in turn, increased the hilarity levels.

I like Ska...its happy music. No matter what they're singing about it always sounds upbeat and happy. You could be singing about how your dog died, mom got ran over by a pickup, and you dropped your beer (basically a bad country song), but if it was Ska, it'd sound happy. Don't get me wrong I love punk, hardcore, metal, Oi!, etc. too....I just love all kinds of music.

atm743
11-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Ska sucks.

you suck at life

ska at least dont talk about killing them self and how their life sucks and all that emo crap.

ska is get out of your seat and jump around stuff that makes you happy.

listen to reel big fish's turn off the radio cd. thats ska and is really good

well emo is getting out of hand at school. everyone at my school is like dressed up in green day crap and i the sloppy hair due's are really the statment in our school. everyone has the long skater emo hair thats kinda like a mop top.

it's just an other fad in my eyes

after this people are proabably going to get into hardcore punk and everyone is going to start dressing up in checkerboard slip on's and mowhawks wareing minor threat t-shirts and tight pants

atm743
11-19-2005, 01:31 PM
I like Ska...its happy music. No matter what they're singing about it always sounds upbeat and happy. You could be singing about how your dog died, mom got ran over by a pickup, and you dropped your beer (basically a bad country song), but if it was Ska, it'd sound happy. Don't get me wrong I love punk, hardcore, metal, Oi!, etc. too....I just love all kinds of music.

:hail: :hail: :hail:

i love you :D

thats how i feel to.

i live hardcord punk and death and black metal but

i love ska at the same time. how can you hate reel big fish and suicide machines and streetlight manifesto?

matter in fact im going to see suicide machines in two weeks :)

Kai
11-19-2005, 01:57 PM
you suck at life

ska at least dont talk about killing them self and how their life sucks and all that emo crap.

well emo is getting out of hand at school. everyone at my school is like dressed up in green day crap and i the sloppy hair due's are really the statment in our school. everyone has the long skater emo hair thats kinda like a mop top.

after this people are proabably going to get into hardcore punk and everyone is going to start dressing up in checkerboard slip on's and mowhawks wareing minor threat t-shirts and tight pants

Dude.

Greenday is not emo. Get things straight.

I hate emo, but most people who talk bad about it don't even know what it is. 'Long skater emo hair' is the least sensical statement ever.

Also, tight pants = almost every indie scene. And as far as I can tell, everyone is already wearing them.

'how can you hate reel big fish and suicide machines and streetlight manifesto?'

Because they aren't good. I never liked ska, even when ska was the thing to like. It's just lame music.

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/the-history-of-ska.gif

quik
11-19-2005, 01:59 PM
The Unicorns suck.

bentothejam1n
11-19-2005, 02:51 PM
after this people are proabably going to get into hardcore punk and everyone is going to start dressing up in checkerboard slip on's
heh if you haven't noticed everybody already has the checkerboard slip on's.... But itsn't checkerboard ska-ish???

slade
11-19-2005, 06:59 PM
you suck at life

i... just dont know where to start there.

B.A.M.
11-19-2005, 07:45 PM
SKA RULES, the only music that really sux is rap and country.

tropical_fishy
11-19-2005, 07:50 PM
you suck at life

Hahahahahaa.

....Hahaha.

I think that you shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion without a basic grasp of grammar.

Just sayin'.

atm743
11-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Hahahahahaa.

....Hahaha.

I think that you shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion without a basic grasp of grammar.

Just sayin'.

Edited By Army: NO NO NO. Foul language and flaming a member.

Target Practice
11-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Edited By Army: NO NO NO. Foul language and flaming a member.

Ahahaha, oh man, I got a screenshot of that one. Looks like you're going on a little vacation. Too bad it won't be long enough.

atm743
11-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Ahahaha, oh man, I got a screenshot of that one. Looks like you're going on a little vacation. Too bad it won't be long enough.

hmmm i dont go on vacations

Target Practice
11-19-2005, 08:20 PM

Sure you don't. I mean, cutting out sections of a wall gets expensive. But that's okay, here on AO, we bring the vacation to you.

breg
11-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Emo, Ska, Punk, Metal, Hardcore, Metalcore.... mostly just a buch of kids wearing a uniform. And, if any pictures of them are taken, they will later be used by their parents to shame them before their girlfriends/boyfriends.
Honestly, I used to like a lot of the bands that are consodered Emo. Not so much anymore. Usually they soud great and awsome then, as the trend develops, it becomes a contest to see who is the most... whatever.
I can't really figure it out. I love hardcore and metal music. But, I know that it will die off soon as the look has arrived at Hot Topic (may the owners of Hot Topic burn to death in a french fryer.) But, like I said, it's going to die off soon, and then we will wonder just what in the in the nine hells the next wave of depressios problems will be. Problem is that the music is Ok then it becomes a look and an attitude. I can't count the number of time some idiot with liberty spikes has poked me in the eye with his hiar at a show.
It's funny now, because it's all starting to sound the same. I mean, four or five years ago when I first got into the whole hardcore/metal/metalcore/emo thing I thought it was the greatest thing in the world, and I did not have to wear a Bon Jovi shirt or pink or dye my hair black with a red/pink fore lock. Now the woth thing has become a uniform for kids to wear. I'm growing tired of it. And the funniest thing is that all of these bands that come out every ten minutes, the only ones that will still be recording in the next few years will be the ones that were there first.
Arrrrgh, I remember when (ye Gods, I sound old) the whole Alternative thing hit back in the early ninties. we looked like idiots. The ultra baggy clothes, ratty hair, the glasses, etc. I just was lucky that I managed to get out of it before I got any dumb tattoos relating to the whole shoddy scene. Then the next thing was that whole "Punk" thing. Ironically enough, there are very few bands that managed to come out of that with their contracts intact.
I'm just wainting for the whole thing to wind down and for there to be "The Beast of Emo/Hardcore/Metal/Metalcore comps sold on late-night TV.
It's just strange because I love a lot of music. I have everything from Hatebreed to George Clinton to Converge to Thelonious Monk to Black Daliah Murder to the Dropkick Murphys in my 'travel binder o' CDs." I just get tired of people trying to "look' like the music instead of just enjoying it.

Kai
11-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Emo, Ska, Punk, Metal, Hardcore, Metalcore.... mostly just a buch of kids wearing a uniform. And, if any pictures of them are taken, they will later be used by their parents to shame them before their girlfriends/boyfriends.
Honestly, I used to like a lot of the bands that are consodered Emo. Not so much anymore. Usually they soud great and awsome then, as the trend develops, it becomes a contest to see who is the most... whatever.
I can't really figure it out. I love hardcore and metal music. But, I know that it will die off soon as the look has arrived at Hot Topic (may the owners of Hot Topic burn to death in a french fryer.) But, like I said, it's going to die off soon, and then we will wonder just what in the in the nine hells the next wave of depressios problems will be. Problem is that the music is Ok then it becomes a look and an attitude. I can't count the number of time some idiot with liberty spikes has poked me in the eye with his hiar at a show.
It's funny now, because it's all starting to sound the same. I mean, four or five years ago when I first got into the whole hardcore/metal/metalcore/emo thing I thought it was the greatest thing in the world, and I did not have to wear a Bon Jovi shirt or pink or dye my hair black with a red/pink fore lock. Now the woth thing has become a uniform for kids to wear. I'm growing tired of it. And the funniest thing is that all of these bands that come out every ten minutes, the only ones that will still be recording in the next few years will be the ones that were there first.
Arrrrgh, I remember when (ye Gods, I sound old) the whole Alternative thing hit back in the early ninties. we looked like idiots. The ultra baggy clothes, ratty hair, the glasses, etc. I just was lucky that I managed to get out of it before I got any dumb tattoos relating to the whole shoddy scene. Then the next thing was that whole "Punk" thing. Ironically enough, there are very few bands that managed to come out of that with their contracts intact.
I'm just wainting for the whole thing to wind down and for there to be "The Beast of Emo/Hardcore/Metal/Metalcore comps sold on late-night TV.
It's just strange because I love a lot of music. I have everything from Hatebreed to George Clinton to Converge to Thelonious Monk to Black Daliah Murder to the Dropkick Murphys in my 'travel binder o' CDs." I just get tired of people trying to "look' like the music instead of just enjoying it.

Too long.

viperx1_1000
11-19-2005, 11:14 PM
1. girl pants are comfortable
2. the haircut gets the girls
3. the music makes people want to be around you, or the "cool" people
4. cutting wrists=more attention
5. pierced lips=random girls want to make out with you
6.girl pants are super comfortable

there are plenty of reasons to be emo

Automaggot68
11-19-2005, 11:28 PM

Oh man, you're really bad at this game.

ey lok at mwe!
I'm atm!!!
LOL

quik
11-19-2005, 11:38 PM
I dont know if your serious or what, but...

WRONG, WRONG, AND WRONG.

Automaggot68
11-19-2005, 11:40 PM
http://www.headinjurytheater.com/emo%20emu%20jared%20hindman.jpg

tropical_fishy
11-19-2005, 11:45 PM

Or rather:

1. I AM a girl. I know girl's pants aren't comfortable.
2. You LOOK like a girl with that haircut. Cut that mop, before Derek mistakes you for one.
3. The music is commercialized teenage angst. I could make millions bottling it and selling it.
4. You're a disgrace to people who truly feel the need to hurt themselves.
5. Shrapnel is not a fashion accessory.
6. Once again. I AM a girl. Girl's pants, unless they are pajamas, are NOT comfortable. Especially not the tight ones.

I wish I had TP's attention whore picture :(

Automaggot68
11-19-2005, 11:49 PM
Will THIS one Suffice?
http://www.digitalend.com/pics/attention_whore4.jpg

bam wannabe
11-20-2005, 12:13 AM
Or rather:

1. I AM a girl. I know girl's pants aren't comfortable.
2. You LOOK like a girl with that haircut. Cut that mop, before Derek mistakes you for one.
3. The music is commercialized teenage angst. I could make millions bottling it and selling it.
4. You're a disgrace to people who truly feel the need to hurt themselves.
5. Shrapnel is not a fashion accessory.
6. Once again. I AM a girl. Girl's pants, unless they are pajamas, are NOT comfortable. Especially not the tight ones.

haha, you just made my night. :hail:

M98Punk
11-20-2005, 12:13 AM
I probobly am the only one that finds the irony that we are a group of people that spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars running around shooting each with water colors, casting judgement on people for what they wear and do in their spare time. You'd think that people who run around dressed like ****ing clowns hiding behind inflateable furnature people would learn to lighten up a bit.
And all things considered I would much rather be at a Dashboard concert then the sausage fest that is a punk or hard rock concert...and yet to some that makes me gay? I really do wonder where you get the logic that being at a place surrounded by girls would (if such things caused homosexual tendancies) be more gay then getting all sweaty and physical with a bunch of guys in the pit :confused:

bam wannabe
11-20-2005, 12:19 AM
I probobly am the only one that finds the irony that we are a group of people that spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars running around shooting each with water colors, casting judgement on people for what they wear and do in their spare time. You'd think that people who run around dressed like ****ing clowns hiding behind inflateable furnature people would learn to lighten up a bit.
And all things considered I would much rather be at a Dashboard concert then the sausage fest that is a punk or hard rock concert...and yet to some that makes me gay? I really do wonder where you get the logic that being at a place surrounded by girls would (if such things caused homosexual tendancies) be more gay then getting all sweaty and physical with a bunch of guys in the pit :confused:

your ignorance amuses me.

where do you randomly come to the conclusion that girls dont go to other concerts? i just saw CKY not more than 3 weeks ago and there were girls in the pit, crowd surfing, and just having fun. to say that only girls go to see emo bands is like saying only black people eat fried chicken. it's not true, it's more of a stereotypical comment.
so whatever

M98Punk
11-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Your right...I'll say this in upstate new york between buffalo and Rochester (sometimes syracuse) on average more girls go to Dashboard TBS, I'll even throw in the starting Line concerts and such then Murphy's, Disturbed, Korn, Ozzy, Rob Zombie, Adema, Everclear, Nickelback, Our Lady Peace and Less Than Jake. I know because I've been to all. So although it may not have been scientific it wasn't a study without research. So where exactly is my ignorance? Will you buy my plane and concert tickets so I can see with ratio is at your hometown? ;)

Lohman446
11-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Umm.. if girls pants are that comfortable on you... you might want to have a discussion with your doctor.

bam wannabe
11-20-2005, 11:52 AM
So although it may not have been scientific it wasn't a study without research. So where exactly is my ignorance?

so technically it was still partly ignorance, because it was a test done without the proper knowledge or undertsanding :)

James
11-20-2005, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE]no emo kids are gay..
they dress up to be hardcore... or in girls pants
but most of them are rich little white kids who have no idea whats its like to be out of money and actually have clothes with holes in them. Instead, they buy clothes that are torn already or cut their own clothes up because they can afford it.
EMO kids are a bunch of pussies and like to look like girls. [QUOTE]

taken from the post i made on my myspace group.
and i am not racist by saying most are white..

Kai
11-20-2005, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE]no emo kids are gay..
but most of them are rich little white kids who have no idea whats its like to be out of money and actually have clothes with holes in them. Instead, they buy clothes that are torn already or cut their own clothes up because they can afford it.
EMO kids are a bunch of pussies and like to look like girls. [QUOTE]

taken from the post i made on my myspace group.
and i am not racist by saying most are white..

RACIST!!!!

James
11-20-2005, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=James][QUOTE]no emo kids are gay..
EMO kids are a bunch of pussies and like to look like girls.

RACIST!!!!
lol :argh:

slade
11-20-2005, 01:39 PM

1. ...no.
2. that depends on the girl. but watch out. it also gets the guys.
3. ...
4. lets hope that was a joke.
5. not that ive noticed. it does make little old ladies hate you though, so thats a plus.
6. okay, since you didnt get it, lets restate this:

really baggy pants are really comfortable.
normal guys pants are good for paintballing.
girls pants help you sing soprano.

viperx1_1000
11-20-2005, 05:35 PM
you guys are funny. We live in AMERICA, people can do what ever the hell they want. Atleast we dont spend our times in gangs, atleast we (most of us) dont do drugs, we dont take steroids like the guys in sports. We dont take anyones girlfriends or anyones friends, we have our own groups. Hey whats wrong, and most of the emo bands are straight edge, that influences their listeners positively. Everyones sad at one point in time or another, we just have gf's, brake up over something stupid, cry, then write songs about it. And i donno what girl pants your wearin but they can be pretty comfortable, we're skinny, if ur overweight and try to fit in those types of pants (like ohhhh so many girls) they could possibly be very uncomfortable. And we're usually good for a laugh or to be made fun of.

slade
11-20-2005, 08:07 PM
And i donno what girl pants your wearin but they can be pretty comfortable, we're skinny, if ur overweight and try to fit in those types of pants (like ohhhh so many girls) they could possibly be very uncomfortable.
i dont wear girls pants, thats sorta my point... and although girls pants are most likely uncomfortable anyway unless you have the body shape of a skinny girl, (even then i couldnt imagine that theyd be particularly comfortable) i think the point most people were addressing was that girls pants are a bit too tight in the crotch area for most guys.

Automaggot68
11-20-2005, 08:22 PM
you guys are funny. We live in AMERICA, people can do what ever the hell they want. Atleast we dont spend our times in gangs, atleast we (most of us) dont do drugs, we dont take steroids like the guys in sports. We dont take anyones girlfriends or anyones friends, we have our own groups. Hey whats wrong, and most of the emo bands are straight edge, that influences their listeners positively. Everyones sad at one point in time or another, we just have gf's, brake up over something stupid, cry, then write songs about it. And i donno what girl pants your wearin but they can be pretty comfortable, we're skinny, if ur overweight and try to fit in those types of pants (like ohhhh so many girls) they could possibly be very uncomfortable. And we're usually good for a laugh or to be made fun of.

Wearing girls pants is only steps away from being a girl.
I bet you have a pretty mouth.

breg
11-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Orginally posted by Kai: Too long.

Yeah, sorry, I've been in a ranting mood lately.
By the way, what would At the Drive In be considered?

Kai
11-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Definitely not emo.

Edit- Well, I suppose they have a few borderline songs, but for the most part, not emo.

kosmo
11-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Woah woah woah, time out. Ive gotta take a moment to comment on something that was posted earlier. Nickleback is a girl band. Their lead singer is a girl with a beard. Their songs are girl songs. My 52 year old mom likes Nickleback. Why on earth would you list them with Rob and Ozzy???

tropical_fishy
11-21-2005, 09:37 AM

You know why I dislike being friends with emo kids? Because when I'm talking to said hypothetical emo friend, I don't know whether or not (s)he's serious. When (s)he says "I'm going to kill myself," it just puts me in an awful position. If I laugh and tell him/her to stop being a moron, I'm being insensitive and basically a... well yeah. If I take him/her seriously, then I'm being manipulated into feeding his/her wallowing in the chasm of self-pity that engulfs his/her soul. I don't like being manipulated like that. It's a different story when someone's actually depressed... I can tell the difference. I just hate this "depressed is trendy guyz, omfg!!111" BS.

Now, moving on.

Yes, we're in America. You're free to dress like a girl. I'm free to say I think your pants look dumb. Dumb pants!

Also. I like how you talk about "us" and "we". It's like there's an emo kid collective. Oh God, there's an emo kid collective, isn't there? It reminds me of how my Asian friends always used to refer to each other as "we" and "us," and how when one was angry, the entire Asian population knew about it and was either after you, or keeping angry Asians away. But that's another story.

You can't "take" anyone's girlfriend's anyway. We're not possessions to take. Besides, if you try, we can put up a pretty good fight. Derek'll back me on that one ;).

Emo bands like to talk about how depressed they are. NOT GOOD. NOT POSITIVE. Pity loves company, hm? If you have one person who's depressed, that's bad. If you have two best friends who are, that's worse-- they feed off each other and don't get better.

And your pants look dumb.

Dumb pants!

Lohman446
11-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Boys and girls are different... umm yeh, and there jeans are designed around those differences such as one has curvier hips that are designed to fit in those jeans better. I again point out to you, that there pants are designed to fit them, ours are designed to fit us, you may want to see a doctor.

breg
11-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Orginally posted by Kai: Definitely not emo.

Ok, At The Drice In is about all I have been listening to lately...

Orginally posted by Lohman446: Boys and girls are different... umm yeh, and there jeans are designed around those differences such as one has curvier hips that are designed to fit in those jeans better. I again point out to you, that there pants are designed to fit them, ours are designed to fit us, you may want to see a doctor

Dude, I laughed out loud. Yeah, there are a couple of anatomical differences between guys and girls. And like you said, their respective clothing is designed around around those. What's next? Are they going to tell us just how comfortable little lacy thongs are while they write songs about how bad it hurts when your girlfriend beats you up and dates other men?
I guess that they just take themselves way too seriously...

M98Punk
11-21-2005, 11:33 AM
LOL my 55 year old father likes Ozzy and Ozzy rocked out about as much as a 80 year old in hospice when I saw him

SCpoloRicker
11-21-2005, 11:37 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a368/edgehead746/Thats%20racist/2234.gif

http://www.plasticnipple.com/images/forums/attention_whore_beach.jpg

http://www.the-red-army.com/orlyan.gif

/that about covers it, right?
//lol @ viperx

tropical_fishy
11-21-2005, 11:50 AM
/that about covers it, right?
//lol @ viperx

Make him one that says "you have dumb pants"! :ninja:

SCpoloRicker
11-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Make him one that says "you have dumb pants"! :ninja:

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/954933/0/nouser_954/T0_-1_954933.gif

/q&d

tropical_fishy
11-21-2005, 12:01 PM
http://show.imagehosting.us/show/954933/0/nouser_954/T0_-1_954933.gif

/q&d

that's perfect. Have a cookie.

breg
11-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Another thing I wanted to ask the guys who wear girl's pants: Did Emo make you gravitate towards transvestism, or was it something that you did before you found Emo?

Lohman446
11-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Another thing I wanted to ask the guys who wear girl's pants: Did Emo make you gravitate towards transvestism, or was it something that you did before you found Emo?

I'm beginning to think it may have something to do with the anatomical issue that allows them to wear women's pants comfortably while causing them to be... well whine like women and curl up in a ball in a fight well trying to display how "sensitive" they are by acting depressed....

tropical_fishy
11-21-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm beginning to think it may have something to do with the anatomical issue that allows them to wear women's pants comfortably while causing them to be... well whine like women and curl up in a ball in a fight well trying to display how "sensitive" they are by acting depressed....

Hey now, hey now. Watch it. Sorry, but you men are stuck with the emo boys. Us women definitely don't want them.

Lohman446
11-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Hey now, hey now. Watch it. Sorry, but you men are stuck with the emo boys. Us women definitely don't want them.

No... just no

SCpoloRicker
11-21-2005, 01:30 PM
I got Adobe CS, in case anyone failed to notice.

/you're all in trouble now~!

tropical_fishy
11-21-2005, 01:33 PM
No... just no

If they're anatomically male, you're stuck with them. Even if they're microscopically anatomically male.

Who wants to check and see?

Not it!

Lohman446
11-21-2005, 01:34 PM
If they're anatomically male, you're stuck with them. Even if they're microscopically anatomically male.

Who wants to check and see?

Not it!

NOT IT!

tropical_fishy
11-21-2005, 01:38 PM
NOT IT!

Let's make Scpoloricker do it.

(He'll probably enjoy it anyway).

Lohman446
11-21-2005, 01:46 PM

Long as its not me I'm ok with that

Automaggot68
11-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Are we talking about Azaam?

SCpoloRicker
11-21-2005, 01:53 PM

http://thebosh.com/archives/fred-durst.jpg

Ohh... thats gay

tropical_fishy
11-21-2005, 02:04 PM
I am, actually.

The old guy sitting across from me at the airport just called me a f-ing... q**** Hah.

I hate old people. And for some reason there's a million going to Las Vegas.

Kai
11-21-2005, 06:38 PM
And your pants look dumb.

Dumb pants!

=(

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
11-21-2005, 07:42 PM

At the Drive In would be emo core.