PDA

View Full Version : Wax or Rain-X in the barrel

slateman
11-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Someone told me that if you wax the inside of your barrel, it makes it easier to shoot out a paint break in the barrel. Another guys said use the Rain-X you use on your windshield.

True? Or myth?

Lohman446
11-18-2005, 09:25 AM
Someone told me that if you wax the inside of your barrel, it makes it easier to shoot out a paint break in the barrel. Another guys said use the Rain-X you use on your windshield.

True? Or myth?

Both against the rules and of questionable danger - paintballs can break skin, the rumor I have heard is that a lot of people may be alergic to the chemicals in Rain-X.

UTDragun
11-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Both against the rules and of questionable danger - paintballs can break skin, the rumor I have heard is that a lot of people may be alergic to the chemicals in Rain-X.
Ive never heard that before, allergies = bad, at my old field, a bunch of people used rainx, never really got to see if it made any improvement though

tyrion2323
11-18-2005, 10:39 AM

True? Or myth?

True, but very illegal.

rkjunior303
11-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Why is it illegal? It's not like it's being used to hide hits. Just curious.

Lohman446
11-18-2005, 10:51 AM

The rumor I have heard is for health / safety reasons

tae
11-18-2005, 12:35 PM
What about the wax?

Jasonl619
11-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Putting wax in your barrel is going to decrease the bore size, possibly creating more breaks because of the tighter squeeze. It will also make the balls fly funny because they will pick up wax as they travel down the barrel making them off balanced. J&J makes a ceramic barrel that is injected with teflon which they say will allow the paint to easily be cleared when it breaks.

Lohman446
11-18-2005, 12:53 PM
What about the wax?

I don't know on the safety, I don't have the rules in front of me but it is illegal to coat your barrel with any substance, that saves them from having to go through and define what substances are legal and which ones are not. To the best of my knowledge thats in both the NPPL and PSP rules.

FSU_Paintball
11-18-2005, 01:02 PM
I've used Rain-X in one of my barrels before.

For the first couple games the paint flew a little funny.

After that it cleaned out breaks a bit better and was also flying more straight

After awhile though it does wear off.

I didn't test for the velocity difference, although I can't see it being more than 15FPS or so.

I decided that the initial problems with accuracy weren't worth the trouble. It didn't make a HUGE difference anyways. And considering nearly all guns have reliable eyes these days, I don't think it's worth it for clearing out breaks.

It just didn't seem to be all that great.

Skoad
11-18-2005, 04:37 PM
get it teflon coated :cool: :eek: ;)

behemoth
11-18-2005, 05:47 PM
I used to swab my barrels with Rain-X

didnt impress me too much, so i stoped.

bentothejam1n
11-18-2005, 07:42 PM
yea i read an artivle somewhere about graphite in barrels and they said it was very illegal.... so im guessing Rain-X or wax would be to

misenhei
11-23-2005, 10:42 AM
What Lohman said, it goes along the same rules of not treating the paintballs (you get the same effect by putting a few drops in the bag and mixing them up, but it's a lot harder to detect a doctored barrel). Physics doesn't so much allow for rain-x'd paint to break the skin (unless you chrono'd before waxing), but it closes the door for abuse.

Thordic
11-23-2005, 10:54 AM
I used to rainx my barrel all the time, before LX. Now I don't see the need so much.

It makes a noticeable difference in paint clearing, but you have to reapply every 1000 balls or so.

If you have a lot of barrel breaks, rainx may help.

jackbauer
11-23-2005, 11:34 AM
really if you are trying to find a barrel that cleans breaks good, get a pipe kit. when i had my mag, my pipe kit was the best upgrade i got. with the angle porting in the tip, it really cleans out breaks best!!

tyrion2323
11-23-2005, 11:47 AM

Don't know. Never done it. All I know is that this came up several times a few years ago, and it was considered illegal then.

TheTramp
11-23-2005, 01:18 PM
As long as you aren't using it in a tournement (that bans it) I think it's fine. It's not going to make your paint faster or more accurate. It just helps you shoot through breaks a bit better.

I'm not sure that the amount of chemical that is carried out of the barrel by the paint is going to be much of an issue on someone's skin.

Lenny
11-23-2005, 07:34 PM
What if someone swallows some from a goggle shot? I'm sure that can't be too good. It probably doesn't make the paint taste any better either...

xmetal2001
11-23-2005, 10:36 PM
What if someone swallows some from a goggle shot? I'm sure that can't be too good. It probably doesn't make the paint taste any better either...

The amount of shell that makes it into their mouth will be minimal. Besides, the amount of Rain-X that would actually make it onto the ball and onto the person being hit is insignificant.