PDA

View Full Version : My 'Mag w/CO2 and cold temps...a test.

JKR
11-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Just for giggles, I decided this morning to put the conventional wisdom about CO2 and 'Mags through a little test.

My setup:
My Classic 'Mag running on anti-siphon CO2 with a Benchmark expansion chamber.

The weather:
A sunny fall WV morning with temps hovering at about 32 deg F.

The test:
Filled my empty 16 oz CO2 tank with 7 oz of CO2 (yes, I have a fill station in my basement). With the tank still cool to the touch, I set my aired up 'Mag on my deck out of the sunshine and went back inside. Came back out about 5 min later and dry fired 50 shots at approx 4-5 bps. There was no coughing, sputtering, or leaking whatsoever.

I set my 'Mag back on the deck and went back inside. Came out about 10 min later and dry fired approx 90-100 shots at approx 4 bps. There was absolutely no coughing, sputtering or leaking but I did notice the sound of the report changed the longer I fired. It was definitely losing pressure and velocity but I did not chrono to find out how much.

Placed the 'Mag back in the same spot, out of the sun, and went back inside. Came back outside somewhere between 5-10 min later and dry fired another 100 rounds in rapid succession at approx the same bps (maybe a tad faster this time). And again, the 'Mag just kept on firing as it should with no problems other than the expected loss of velocity as noted in the sound of the report.

(Edit: added) There was a very light coating of ice on a section of my tank when I brought it back inside.

Not too bad for a Classic 'Mag and CO2.

I just had to share for those thinking that Classic valves will just shut down when used with CO2 - even in colder temps.

Justin

athomas
11-21-2005, 09:49 AM
I think you experienced exactly what does happen when mags use CO2. There will be some shootdown associated with CO2 due to the restriction of the ports due to frosting.

I have never experienced the massive CO2 freezing that is often reported with using mags and CO2, and I live in Canada. I think most people using CO2 must have an improper CO2 setup that allows liquid to flow into the valve.

Thanks for sharing the info.