PDA

View Full Version : Long-term storage of emags

BigEvil
11-21-2005, 08:53 AM
Since my house is about to unergo major renovation, I figure I would pack up both my e-tac and xmag for a few months until everything is done.

I am wondering about the batteries. Is it best to take them off of the gun or leave them on? Im also going to charge them up before I put them away.

Any suguestions?

11 Bravo
11-21-2005, 10:28 AM
I would think as long as you have the yellow pin in everything should be fine. Just to be safe I would take them off. You never know.

Jasonl619
11-21-2005, 11:20 AM
I would remove it just incase. If you put it in storage and the storage unit isn't air tight you have a chance for moisture to build up, especially in the morning. This can cause erosion/oxidation/rust on the battery connections possibly ruining your marker if it is connected.

BigEvil
11-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Im also wondering if having the battery out of use for an extended period of time with out charging it would harm it.

11 Bravo
11-21-2005, 11:44 AM
I doubt it. They probably sit up there for awhile at AGD.

StellarRAD
11-21-2005, 03:31 PM
I normally store mine with the battery not attached, because my first one seemed to be a little iffy after returning form storage just b/c the metal peice on the batter was warped down, just re-bent it.

I have two EMAG and it might sound dumb, but you can buy monster ziplock backs. I got mine from a friend that moved, but they are like 26x30 It has enough space to put foam in on the top and bottom. Both of my EMAGs fit perfect and with their barrels also. Since foam is onthe top and bottom I can push down to remove most of the air and the gun is pretty much moisture free until I open the package up.

I'm not sure where to get these "uber" sized bags but I know they are around.

SpitFire1299
11-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Either way, it doesnt really matter. If the yellow pin is in, its the same as taking the battery off. In both cases, a circuit would not be completed, so no charge would be gained or lost.

Cow hunter
11-21-2005, 04:04 PM
i see those uber plastic bags at the supermartet all the time...... great for storing things like my nintendo w/ controllers and all the games in one bag :) , but really that is a good idea to stop dust/moisture ect.

Chrishew09
11-21-2005, 06:10 PM
My suggestion would be to remove the battery completely if you are going to store them for a few months, not for any electrical reasoning but b/c of the mechanics. When you put the yellow pin in the marker, that pin pushes the metal contactor down, and bends it from its normal state, which is up. Leaving the pin in for an extended period of time, say 6 months might compromise the integrity of the metal contact.

From an electrical stand point it makes no difference if the batteries are charged or discharge, but if you store them with a charge they will need to be recharged when you want to use the marker again.
NiMH batteries have no "memory" and retain there charge better then say NiCd, so as you can see there is know electrical draw back to leaving them connected to the marker. Just the mechanical draw back I mentioned, and no I have not experienced this for my self, it is just my opinion of what might happen if the pin is left in for and extended period of time.

I have and very good understanding of batteries and electronics, I am a associate engineer for a power supply company, and I have been doing a lot of testing with NiMH batteries.
:cheers: :dance:

Scott Hudnall
11-21-2005, 06:18 PM
If you send your E-tac and Xmag to me, I'll make sure they are stored safely.

SpitFire1299
11-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Lol, next to you in bed. :ninja: :D

BigEvil
11-21-2005, 09:10 PM

Before or after I recieve my beta Predator boards from TAG?

Phantom_Mag
11-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Deffinitly remove the packs, as long as there is no chance of a charge you have nothign to worry about. I do that with all my e/x mags

BlackVCG
11-26-2005, 12:53 AM
The other thing I like to do when storing an E-Mag is remove the bolt spring and back off the velocity adjuster until you feel the spring tension relieved. 6-months isn't much time and your first thing should be removing the battery, but I personally also like to remove spring tension.