PDA

View Full Version : new to automags, and some help would b nice

pballguy17
12-09-2001, 05:40 PM
OK, i'm new to automags i right now own a spyder, i have been intersted in automags, b/c i think they look awsome, they are small, and light, witch are a must for a point player like me. I have not shot one yet, as no one around me own's one, so i ask u guys. How's the stock trigger pull? i kno about shortstroking and such, but about how long is it? and is it a heavt pull? also how well do tehy tolerate home done trigger jobs, i worked my spyder to a 1/8inch pull, only took me about 10 hours to get it right, but it works. Would a automag b a good upgrade? my spydre right now is pretty decked out, and i probally won't et much for it as spyder have a low resell price. I have a palmer reg on it, and 15+ hours of home done jobs, including paint work,( i have pics if anyone is intersted im me at amousecaledmicky on aim). Any advice is helpful thanx...

JACK
12-09-2001, 05:49 PM
Give us some pics. Automags r a great step from a spyder. They have about a 1 mm trigger pull and is very snappy. The pull is somewhat hard to get used to but just practice. After shooting about a half case of paint it will be broken in. Go with the mag and keep the spyder as a backup even though mags never ever ever ever break down. Also get a nitro tank and u will be all set!

JACK
12-09-2001, 05:50 PM
Never mess with the triggers of mags. They r perfect the way they r and any home jobs will usually screw them up big time.

DrEvil
12-09-2001, 05:51 PM
And you will definately hear this alot "do not mess with the trigger rod!!!"

pballguy17
12-09-2001, 06:37 PM
ok... point taken...

Vegeta
12-09-2001, 06:41 PM
Mags are at almost their peak stock. If you upgrade the bolt to anything otehr than an AGD made bolt, your screwing yourself. Trigger mods arent needed like they are on other guns (I have owned a M98 for 2 years and have spent several hours fine tuning the springwork.. whereas.. if you mess with the trigger rod on a mag.. you'll just be screwing yourself .. for its set to pretty much where it should be.).
Spyders have upgrades, but none add up to what you can get for mags. And.. basically.. the best upgrades for mags are made by AGD (i.e. superbolts, ReTro valve upgrade, Intelliframe, Z grip, etc.)
And.. have you ever been to a forum where you can get help from the creator of your marker? didn't think so.

Yes, yes that was a shamless plug.. but hey.. gotta support the company right?

pballguy17
12-09-2001, 07:09 PM
ok.. that helps somewhat, as i'm in a AGD forum, i'm sure i'll get alot of, automags are better than spyders, as i get teh same from the spyder, but i'm looking at both... any and all give ur opions..

DrEvil
12-09-2001, 07:17 PM
well ive had a spyder too. Its no comparison to either of my mags. I mean there are alot of hop up parts available for the spyder that dont add up to an automag bone stock out of the box. I liked my spyder too. It was a fun gun. I mean if I still ahd it Id still be adding stuff to it because that was fun. I do the same to my mag too but the add ons are pretty much cosmetics as they dont improve the performance at all. They are just totally different guns. Internally and externally. Only things they have in common that I can think of is that they both have barrels and triggers. My advice is shoot an automag and see the diference, its that obvious. Then you can make the call yourself. By the way post a pic of your spyder on here I d like to see it.

virus
12-09-2001, 07:20 PM
your best bet for upgrades if any would be:

learn the trigger ie fire it untill your finger hurts..... leading cause of shortstroking is due to not know the trigger... full pull back and full release forward.... the trigger is very short and crisp as it is so trigger jobs are not nessary and only mess up ur mag....

next get a motorized hooper if you dont allready have one and also a barrel or barrel to match the paint that you shoot

if you think you will end up getting a RT marker or a retro valve look into an adjustable HPA system if not the on of the presets will be fine

if running co2 you'll need an Xchamber and remote or if you want to run the tank on gun then xchamber and a tank with a anti-syphon tube setup for that tank and marker.... fyi if you go with the RT/retro valve they are hpa only

if the stock single trigger frame is not to your liking there are numerous 2x frames out there... these relie on your preference also there is the Zgrip (do a search on zgrip and you should find some pics to see what they look like on gun) also there is the intelliframe which is set up to accept some parts from radio shack so you can hook up your hopper and warpfeed to spin on every trigger pull

and the warpfeed system do a search on this or goto airgun.com or sites that review products to see what this does... basicly it gets the hopper of the top of the marker and puts it about level with the top of the powerfeed while still being able to feed the gun paint from almost any angle for a few 5-7 shots

welp i think thats it for upgrades of course there are splash kits and cosmetic things you can do but thats pretty much it.....

and of course if you do encounter any problems just about everyone on this fourm will be glad to help including the techs of AGD and the man himself Tom Kaye... now thats customer service.....

BTW check this place out alot... Tom is known to sometimes have little contests going on for AGD gear.... everything from emags right down to stickers.... do a search and you'll see what i mean

pballguy17
12-09-2001, 08:14 PM
thanx a great deal for ur help, does anyone know if a aplmer stab male would fit on it? it would help kep liqued CO2 out, also i am not a newb to paint ball, just AGD in genrel, i kno a great deal about accsories not dirctly dealt wiht a paintball gun, hoppers/packs and such... bak to mags... what's the diff between a RT mag, and say a classic, does RT stand for response trigger? and aren't they not aloud in most tourny's? i kno i ahve more ?'s but i can't think of them right now, i'll let u kno when i do, i thank again for everyone's help...

virus
12-09-2001, 08:42 PM
right on the money about the RT
and the ruling you are talkin about doesn't about to any mag with a RT and/or ReTro valve.... more for the tippmann type reactive triggers.... though when the RT 1st came out i belive it was not allowed for a few games while they debated it... but it is now

now the only other differences between the 2 valves are: reg mag valce aka AIRvalve can shoot either co2 or hpa with out a hitch, where as the RT and or Retro are HPA only and can cycle at 26+ bps with out noticable shootdown.... granted it took a computer and robot arm do get it going that fast, but it did it...

FooTemps
12-09-2001, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by pballguy17
thanx a great deal for ur help, does anyone know if a aplmer stab male would fit on it? it would help kep liqued CO2 out, also i am not a newb to paint ball, just AGD in genrel, i kno a great deal about accsories not dirctly dealt wiht a paintball gun, hoppers/packs and such... bak to mags... what's the diff between a RT mag, and say a classic, does RT stand for response trigger? and aren't they not aloud in most tourny's? i kno i ahve more ?'s but i can't think of them right now, i'll let u kno when i do, i thank again for everyone's help...

If you get mag you won't need the stab. It'll only mess your mag up. Buy an ex-chamber and remote if you're going co2. Triple regulating your marker is really bad. The mag comes built in with a regulator so you won't have to worry.

pballguy17
12-09-2001, 09:37 PM
ok, well first off i won't b triple reging, as i probally won't b going HPA for a while, my team has an air sponser and he only has CO2 (witch we get free) so i don't wanna shell out even more money for HPA/N2 an totally get nothign outta our sponsership, as for the RT, i herad on the tippmans all u ahve to do u spull hard, and the RT will push it out and u can shot really fast, is that the same with the RT automags? i'm kinda confused on what the response trigger actully do... again i thank everyone for thir help, if anyone has the time, they can im me on amousecaledmicky, i'm on quite alot, and it might save us some time...

pballguy17
12-09-2001, 09:39 PM
i also wanted to ask how well the J&J cermaic's work on automags,i have one on my spyder, and it's great, quite, accurate, neverbreaks paint, and when i chop (no revy yet ): ) it shots thru pretty well, if they don't work good what about tear drops? if not any other suggestion for sub $100?

joeyjoe367
12-10-2001, 02:58 AM
CP!CP!CP!CP!CP!CP!CP!

Very under-rated barrels. They come in Great Colors/Lengths/Bores.

On a plain' ol classic mag, CO2 is Do-able. Just Anti-Siphon your tank (Make sure it's adjusted for your ASA) Put on an Expansion chamber, or Remote.

Just remember, don't remote + Anti-Siphon. That doesnt work unless you're laying down a whole lot. :D

As for the RT, what it does can be described thus:

If you pull the trigger with 3 lbs of force, the trigger will push back with 6 lbs of force resetting the trigger more quickly and allowing you to attain a higher rate of fire.

Yes, they are allowed in Tournies unless you have it set up to "Sweet Spot" where you can hold your finger in a place and it'll go full auto.

*NOTE* NO CO2 ON RT.

PLEASE.

My advice on Short-Stroking? Use your Air Sponsor and fill up your tank a couple times and practice, Practice, practice. that's the only way, really, that you can learn the trigger. You'll get faster and faster with experience.

I hope that helps.

pballguy17
12-10-2001, 06:21 PM
ok, thanx again for all ur information, the point on CP's are well taken, my bro's got one on his a/c, they are good, but.. i'm sued to the quitenss of my J&J, and i like quite, as i play more than just speedball, i'll look into the CP's alittle bit more. How well would a non-anti-syphon tank, and a remote work?? what if use the palmer reg, but open it as far as it goes, and jsut use it as a xchamber? Has anyone looked into the "tko automag package" found on www.paintballgear.net? how good is that?

wolverine85929
12-10-2001, 11:33 PM
Something else you can do is run your co2 tank vertical. I know this is not for everyone though. I ran mine like that for years before we got HPA. Now i would not go back to co2
good luck