PDA

View Full Version : Spraypainting car interior advice.

InfinatyBPS
11-22-2005, 12:23 AM
My dad gave me his 88 civic dx hatchback a few months ago, and the dirty blueish grey color of my interor is starting to drive me crazy. Its the most ugly, uncomforting color I've ever seen. So, I've come up with the idea to spraypaint the inside of my car black. My mother suggested vinyl spraypaint. So I bought a can of black vinyl spraypaint. I'm going to be painting the dash and im gonna cover the guages with newspaper and masking tape. Then I'm going to paint the middle console and glove compartment after taping off the radio and AC panel. Then I'm going to do the door panels. This will include everything on the door that isn't made of cloth. I'm going to leave the part of my door that is grey cloth alone. but the rest of the door will be black, the handles, locks, everything. Then the next thing to get is the rest of the parts of the car, like the parts around the windows(blindspots) after taping off the windows and covering the seats of course, and armrests as well as the inside of my hatchback door. For the top of the inside of the car, I'm not sure what to do, I may just leave it the really light color grey that it is, because it will match the grey parts on the door. But anyways, do you guys think this is going to be a good idea, or is going to be like the time I thought it would be a good idea to spraypaint my Raptor and then ended up throwing it away cuz i ruined it?

kosmo
11-22-2005, 12:30 AM
Ehh dont do black. It will make it horribly hot in the summer, and then the paint will peel.

InfinatyBPS
11-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Ummm... my cars white on the outside. Does that balance it out :p

Kai
11-22-2005, 02:10 AM
You're only cool if you spraypaint the EXTERIOR of a car.

tae
11-22-2005, 02:24 AM
I dont know how well the paint will work but you should at least take out your dash before painting. You can do that will all the parts of your car you need to paint.

Pacifist_Farmer
11-22-2005, 07:02 AM
Yeah take those components out, you'll have a much easier time of it.

billybob_81067
11-22-2005, 09:59 AM
I agree you should take the stuff off/out before you paint it. Everything should come out easy except maybe the dash. Don't know how hard they are to get out of an older civic, but some dashes in different cars/pickups are a real PITA.

tropical_fishy
11-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Awww, come on guys. Where's your sense of fun?

The REAL way to do it is to get in the car, close all the doors and windows, and spraypaint to your heart's content.

Also-- I claim no liability if you actually do this.

tranman
11-22-2005, 10:41 AM
You'd have to cover all the seats and what not since spray paint is just that, a spray, it'll get everywhere. Unless you want your car to permanently smell like spray paint, take all the components that you want painted out of your car and paint them outside. Nothin worse than getting into your car and it smelling like chemicals on a hot day.

Lohman446
11-22-2005, 11:02 AM
My dad gave me his 88 civic dx hatchback

Its an 88 civic, drive it until it dies and don't put a lot of money into it??

skife
11-22-2005, 12:08 PM
You'd have to cover all the seats and what not since spray paint is just that, a spray, it'll get everywhere. Unless you want your car to permanently smell like spray paint, take all the components that you want painted out of your car and paint them outside. Nothin worse than getting into your car and it smelling like chemicals on a hot day.

'ehh, it'll always smell like rice to me.

InfinatyBPS
11-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Its an 88 civic, drive it until it dies and don't put a lot of money into it??

Is a couple cans of spraypaint and some masking tape really too much money to spend on my car so I don't want to burn my interior everytime I get in? I really like the car, it runs really nice, and its comfortable all that good stuff, but ya, I have this thing with colors... I don't like them. I want the interior of my car to be black like my soul ;) :headbang:

Haha, anyways, ya my car is just all tore up inside and I think if this works will make my car look like 10x better. Taking all that stuff out sounds like its gonna be a ***** to get out and put back in. Oh well I'll see if I can do that I guess... damnit. Why can't life be easy?

RazorMonkey
11-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Is a couple cans of spraypaint and some masking tape really too much money to spend on my car so I don't want to burn my interior everytime I get in? I really like the car, it runs really nice, and its comfortable all that good stuff, but ya, I have this thing with colors... I don't like them. I want the interior of my car to be black like my soul ;) :headbang:

Haha, anyways, ya my car is just all tore up inside and I think if this works will make my car look like 10x better. Taking all that stuff out sounds like its gonna be a ***** to get out and put back in. Oh well I'll see if I can do that I guess... damnit. Why can't life be easy?
How 'bout you make it look real good? Take the stuff out, give it a layer of Bondo, sand it smooth, prime it, paint, wetsand, paint, wetsand, paint, wetsand, paint, wetsand, clearcoat, clearcoat, clearcoat :)

-Tab
11-22-2005, 11:30 PM
I think you'd be nuts to paint it without taking stuff out.
The dash and door panels in a Civic aren't that hard to take out.
In the end, you'd be glad you did. The overspray would get everywhere - I don't care how meticulously you taped everything off; you will have paint somewhere you don't want it.

Before you do spray, clean everything with wax and grease remover really well. The paint will stick much better.
You don't have wax and grease remover?? Get some...

Oh, and you might want to pick up a few air fresheners. The end product smells super bad.

InfinatyBPS
11-23-2005, 01:19 AM
I'll tell you what smells real bad... Ok nevermind, anyways... thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep it all in mind, I'll see if I can post pics when I'm done(I know none of you want to see my bucket, but I'll pretend I don't know that....) :p