PDA

View Full Version : Open or closed bolt?

anomoly40
11-26-2005, 10:34 PM
Ok I am working on a project and I don't know how to describe the action of the gun. It is a nelson valve that is naturally closed but when you pull the trigger it opens and loads a ball. When you let go of the trigger the bolt/hammer assembly moves forward and seals the breech and fires. Would it be called an open or closed bolt or any other name?

SOAD8789
11-26-2005, 10:39 PM
wow....i dont know what to classify it as. I would say closed bolt since the bolt is forward when the gun is not firing.

FallNAngel
11-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Definately open bolt; When the gun fires, the bolt is in the open position.

onedude36
11-26-2005, 11:35 PM
I would say it is a modified closed bolt action. its like you have the actions of a cocker reversed. normally the gun fires, then loads for the next shot. here you pull trigger, load then shoot, while bolt remains closed. Am i right? sounds interesting, any hints on your project? :D

anomoly40
11-27-2005, 12:15 AM
I was going to wait until tomarrow. I could get a finished video of it working but this is the only video I have of it firing. Keep in mind that it is not finished in this video. It was a test. The 3-way is worked by the trigger now. http://media.putfile.com/Talon-Test

Also go here, soon myself and smartball will have a write-up on how to make your own. Using examples of which parts we used and what we did different. http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=17931082&posted=1#post17931082

buzzboy
11-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Sounds like plain old closed bolt to me. I mean, the bolt is closed when cocked.

slade
11-27-2005, 11:01 AM
a while ago (few years, maybe?) someone did the same thing with a talon and cocker pneumatics. its a cool project, but nothing id ever want to use.

whether its open or closed bolt depends on how you define open and closed bolt. closed bolt is generally defined as when the marker is ready to fire, the breech is closed with the ball in it. in this case, the breech is closed but the ball isnt in the breech, and its not exactly "ready to fire", in the sense that the marker still has to be cocked. open bolt is generally defined as when the marker is ready to fire, the breech is open with the ball in it. this is not true either, so it is not open bolt or closed bolt, by the common definitions.

its not even close to closed bolt though, because there is no point where the bolt is closed, with the ball resting in the breech. if you look at the action, at first, the bolt is closed. if you pull and hold the trigger, the breech is opened and a ball is in the breech, ready to fire, like an open bolt marker before the trigger is pulled. releasing the trigger fires the marker from an open bolt configuration, and pulling the trigger again would open the breech and load a ball. thus the operation of the marker is closest to a reverse-open bolt.

UTDragun
11-27-2005, 12:08 PM
sounds like a mechanical or "classic" mode closed bolt

DaveSM
11-27-2005, 01:50 PM
So you are using auto-trigger to fire the marker. A neat idea on a talon. The old BE rainmaker and Vector both worked about the same way.