PDA

View Full Version : Tippman C3

noahyay
11-29-2005, 09:46 PM
http://www.tippmann.com

This new gun by tippmann is revolutionary in my opinion.

It falls under the category of firearm because it ignites gas to fire.

They were able to market it though so fields should allow it right?

ramennoodles
11-29-2005, 09:51 PM
Where did you read that it ignites gas to fire?

I just read that it ran off of propaine instead of co2 or HPA. I'm not being accusatory, just wondering.

stop whining buy a mag
11-29-2005, 09:52 PM
Repost X1,000,000

It's safe and legal.

ramennoodles
11-29-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm really intrigued by this marker. It is not appealing to me at all, but it is definitely intriguing to say the least.

stop whining buy a mag
11-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen we are about to take off. If you would look above you where it says "Automags.Org Online Forums > Automags Owners Forums > Paintball Talk > Tippmann C3" you will see below it a list of options. The sixth one over is called the "search button". If at any time during the flight you become curious about an old topic please click this button and enter whatever you wish to know more about.

ramennoodles
11-29-2005, 10:38 PM
Ladies and gentlemen of the flught crew, One of your passengers has been out of paintball for quite some time and had no idea that this wasn't a new topic. Next time you feel like being sarcastic and elitist, please don't.

personman
11-29-2005, 10:44 PM
It has to ignite gas to fire.. think of how dangerous just spewing propane out would be!
The exaust is much safer. Plus it's more efficient than just using the gas would be.

Having that said I dont know much about this gun

Automaggot68
11-30-2005, 02:45 AM
It has to ignite gas to fire.. think of how dangerous just spewing propane out would be!
The exaust is much safer. Plus it's more efficient than just using the gas would be.

Having that said I dont know much about this gun

You wouldn't be able to ingite the propane with a match, it'd blow it right out.
I hardly doubt it uses enough propane to do any damage anyway.

Josh2Xtremes
11-30-2005, 04:00 AM
I'm only posting here for the first time in forever to save all the potential posters a lot of time and argument on this topic. I have one, I played with it. It ignites propane to fire. It has a fuel injector that is actuated each time you pump it and a spark plug powered by a battery that makes bang bang happen. The propane is regulated at the ASA and fuel mix sometimes requires adjusting. You do smell an occassional whiff of propane when you fire it, and heavily when you "air" it up and "de-gas" it. The receiver heats up after several shots. It's safe. Whether a hit or a dud, Tippmann's legacy as a company unafraid to innovate and willingness to try to move paintball forward must be respected. Read my upcoming review in Paintball Games International.
Josh Silverman
Associate Editor, Paintball Games International Magazine
www.p8ntballer.com
www.joshuasilverman.com

PS: I miss TK, this place died when he left. Mags for Life.

Glickman
11-30-2005, 07:31 AM

dude.

i spoke to the ATF...

its not a firearm

pntballpsycho
12-01-2005, 01:11 AM

PUT A FLAME INFRONT OF THAT CRAP AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN U PULL THE TRIGGER IT WILL BE AN IGNITING EXPERIENCE LOL

KYLE :shooting:

Recon by Fire
12-01-2005, 01:13 AM
According to the federal description of a firearm (uses explosive combustion to propel object) it is, but it is obviously not a firearm in all actuality.

Ingeniously worthless is what this contraption is. Great you get 50,000 shots of of your propane tank. But when is the last time you heard pump players complaining about air? From what I understand this method of firing is not usable for semi due to heat build up, so again I am left wondering......why?

Vicious6
12-01-2005, 02:32 AM
IF YOU PUT A FLAME IN FRONT OF IT, IT WILL PROBABLY NOT DO ANYTHING SINCE THE PROPANE HAS ALREADY IGNITED IN THE CHAMBER LOL :shooting:

...sorry I couldn't resist :D Seriously though, I'm pretty sure it should all be spent by the time anything leaves the barrel

Totenkopfver
12-01-2005, 02:56 PM
According to the federal description of a firearm (uses explosive combustion to propel object) it is, but it is obviously not a firearm in all actuality.

Ingeniously worthless is what this contraption is. Great you get 50,000 shots of of your propane tank. But when is the last time you heard pump players complaining about air? From what I understand this method of firing is not usable for semi due to heat build up, so again I am left wondering......why?
because pump guns are the devil and if you touch one you'll get herpes?

Automaggot68
12-01-2005, 03:16 PM
PUT A FLAME INFRONT OF THAT CRAP AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN U PULL THE TRIGGER IT WILL BE AN IGNITING EXPERIENCE LOL

KYLE :shooting:

You're an idiot.

Just sayin'.

Recon by Fire
12-01-2005, 10:26 PM
because pump guns are the devil and if you touch one you'll get herpes?

Well, I alredy have a few pumps and I haven't found that to be the case.

paint magnet
12-01-2005, 10:50 PM

Read Tippmann's description of the gun. They say it was designed for players without easy access to CO2 or HPA. Most players living in areas without access to either of the two aforementioned gases probably don't have easy access to propane either, so whenver they make a trip to fill up, it's nice to know that they have 50,000 shots instead of 400 before they have to make that drive again.

Otherwise, there would be no point--you'd have to fill up on paint again anyway, unless you can carry 25 cases at a time.

Totenkopfver
12-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Well, I alredy have a few pumps and I haven't found that to be the case.
/2 WTS [Sarcasm Detector] x 1 pst

edit: ps yes im a nerd

ultralight
12-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Most players living in areas without access to either of the two aforementioned gases probably don't have easy access to propane either, so whenver they make a trip to fill up, it's nice to know that they have 50,000 shots instead of 400 before they have to make that drive again.

Otherwise, there would be no point--you'd have to fill up on paint again anyway, unless you can carry 25 cases at a time.

not everyone has a local PB store/field, but most have a general store type place, like a walmart or meijer, that sells paint but not air. and for those in really remote areas, you still have hardware stores that sell propane, and you can mail-order paint.

Totenkopfver
12-02-2005, 03:11 AM
i would buy one and use it in pump only games if the flatline was available to it.

Spartan X
12-02-2005, 09:29 AM
i would buy one and use it in pump only games if the flatline was available to it.
I'd get one if it could take other barrels..like maybe at least a-5 or 98 barrels...though cocker would be the best.

It is very ugly, but it serves it's purpose in a usefull manor, it has it's place in the market, it's just not what we are used to.

I'd like to thank Tippmann for thinking of the ballers that can't get air and still want to play!

Commissar_Loki
12-04-2005, 01:35 AM
I assume to get around the firearm laws they made it a bit backwards. The small ignition (which is controlled mind you) moves a piston, similar to the one in a car, which in turn compresses some air, and thus fires the gun. Thats my guess having not opened one up as of yet...

-Butch

Glickman
12-04-2005, 11:17 AM
I assume to get around the firearm laws they made it a bit backwards. The small ignition (which is controlled mind you) moves a piston, similar to the one in a car, which in turn compresses some air, and thus fires the gun. Thats my guess having not opened one up as of yet...

-Butch

its not classified as a firearm by federal standards. i already said that after speaking to the ATF

what WILL matter, is whether or not your state does, for instance, Michigan does, but ny does not

Lohman446
12-04-2005, 12:17 PM
its not classified as a firearm by federal standards. i already said that after speaking to the ATF

what WILL matter, is whether or not your state does, for instance, Michigan does, but ny does not

Glickman's right on this. We had this discussion several months ago, I argued that, reading the definition of a federal firearm, this most certainly was. Glickman conatacted the BATF and they said they did not see this as a firearm, obviously the same thing that Tippmann said when asked.

As to state definitions. This and every paintball marker clearly meets the Michigan firearm definition, but that has never been pursued.

ThePixelGuru
12-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Well, someone beat me to the point about it being for people without regular access to CO2/HPA fills, but I believe the C3's a sort of proof-of-concept model. Tippmann will probably do a semi version, but wanted to go to market with a propane-powered marker ASAP to introduce the idea. I don't think they expect to make a huge amount of money off the C3. Then again, looking at their target market, they might. I also wouldn't be surprised given the current state of the sport if they took it to market for patent reasons.

Ah well, guess I'll just have to watch and see what happens.

The Action Figure
12-04-2005, 02:01 PM
cool idea

Commissar_Loki
12-05-2005, 01:01 AM
I'm curious how it isn't classified as a firearm. My thoughts were based around the combustion not actually moving the projectile... but like I said, I haven't seen one in person.

SCpoloRicker
12-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Jeebus.

/morans
//PORCH

SlartyBartFast
12-05-2005, 12:27 PM
For the love of God, do a search and end this thread.

It's simple:

In Canada, by Canadian firearms control law, it is definately not a firearm. Doesn't meet the speed and energy requirements.

In the US, federally by the firearms contraol act from the 30's it's not a firearm until someone at the BATF decides to make it a firearm. Don't piss them off. By state and municipally, it's up to the whim of the local governments to decide whether it falls under local firearm laws or not. :rolleyes:

Alpha
12-05-2005, 02:07 PM
1. It ignites a small chamber via an electronic ignition source (much like a grill lighter).
2. The expanding gasses left over from the explosion of propane propells the paintball
3. Whatever exits the barrel in the form of gas is NOT propane and is NOT flamable. Its mostly CO (carbon monoxide)
4. Think about holding a thin-walled metal tank that holds 4500 Pounds per square inch of pressure. Thats about 306,000 pounds of force in a 68ci tank. You think thats unsafe?

You guys are mostly TK nuts (who isnt?).. Ponder me this. When nitrogen started to be used by team nitro, everyone thought it was dangerous. "They strap tanks of nitrogen at 3000psi on their backs!"

I honestly dont think this is any more unsafe then using a propane torch. So if your going to use the argument that the C3 is dangerous, get rid of your shrapnel bomb- I mean nitro tank.

-Sam

Lohman446
12-05-2005, 02:14 PM
1. It ignites a small chamber via an electronic ignition source (much like a grill lighter).
2. The expanding gasses left over from the explosion of propane propells the paintball
3. Whatever exits the barrel in the form of gas is NOT propane and is NOT flamable. Its mostly CO (carbon monoxide)
4. Think about holding a thin-walled metal tank that holds 4500 Pounds per square inch of pressure. Thats about 306,000 pounds of force in a 68ci tank. You think thats unsafe?

You guys are mostly TK nuts (who isnt?).. Ponder me this. When nitrogen started to be used by team nitro, everyone thought it was dangerous. "They strap tanks of nitrogen at 3000psi on their backs!"

I honestly dont think this is any more unsafe then using a propane torch. So if your going to use the argument that the C3 is dangerous, get rid of your shrapnel bomb- I mean nitro tank.

-Sam

So... who in this thread said it was dangerous?

Automaggot68
12-05-2005, 04:20 PM
So... who in this thread said it was dangerous?

I have to agree.

/porch?