PDA

View Full Version : Rant: What is up with "custom" and "upped"

Lohman446
12-06-2005, 02:14 PM
I look through the forums sale threads from time to time. I notice the "upped" title used a lot. Do people honestly think half of these things they do add any value to a marker. Frankly I can look around and buy new for what a lot of people want for there used marker. What is up? I swear I am going to start seeing comments such as "Bottomline screw tightened to 15PSI, better than the stock 10".

I think we need a thread for the ridiculous "upps" and prices we see

BD_Paintball
12-06-2005, 02:21 PM
I agree but you also want to let everyone know that the gun that you are selling has upgrades. if a gun has a lot of "ups" then it should be the price of a new gun. Example: used cocker with mQ valve should be more then a cocker w/o one and close to the price for a new cocker. Upgrades cost a lot for certain guns.

SCpoloRicker
12-06-2005, 02:27 PM
My favorite is BNIB and LNIB....

w sum wear scratches on teh feedneck, nothing major, this gun rips, etc...

phantomhitman
12-06-2005, 02:38 PM
bnib, only shot one case through it :confused:

you have to state ups, if not the buyer will try to rip you off.

Chronobreak
12-06-2005, 03:28 PM
if tis been used its NOT nib

if it has then its mint/great/excellent/superb/w/e condition

i dont think its so much about the ups adding value, but it can make the gun more appealing than say somone buying a stock setup and doing all those ups themselves and losing as much as the next guy.

this stuff has been going on forever, since paintball markers have been sold

remember the "custom triggerjob", "pimped"(lol), "tricked out"

also things to stay away from when buying is the seller throwing around names like " so and so from the "random team" used it for like 2 games so its worth like $200 more :rolleyes:

some people will try anything to sell a gun, and whats worse is some people believe anything when buying a gun

buzzboy
12-06-2005, 03:28 PM
I mean yeah. Custom should mean something special like getting a slug body and having a completely unique mill job or haveing a homemade trigger. Seeing upped and having the only up being a drop gets me really P'd off.

Upgraded does add value just about the same as saying "kit" or "all you need to play". Like for me, a stock 04 BKO is worth a lot less than one with a nice hopper, a good barrel, a drop and a high end reg.

Creative Mayhem
12-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Upped = purchased add on

Custom = special made for the makrer or owner

FSU_Paintball
12-06-2005, 05:02 PM
NIB MEANS "NEW IN BOX"

Ohmygod I want to punch babies when someone says "NIB" and you can clearly see it's not.

I wish PBN would make a rule about that.

I agree... I get extremely irritated when people put misleading titles and descriptions up for their guns.

If the gun has been TOUCHED, it's not NIB.
If the gun has been tweaked by you, it's not upped.
If the gun has upgrades, that doesn't make it custom.
And if you're asking market value, that doesn't qualify as "CHEAP!!!"

AGDlover
12-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Upped = purchased add on

Custom = special made for the makrer or owner

Damn Canadians keep beating me to it....I'll get you one day CM :ninja:

rkjunior303
12-06-2005, 05:11 PM
PBN did make a NIB forum, but it's only for markers still in their original packaging untouched -- ie. shrinkwrapping, etc.

master_alexander
12-06-2005, 05:12 PM
well if they didnt have it in there it would be boring.

but i do agree on the subject "upped" or not.

i would think upped means more of a upgrade to performance, like a bolt, and custom is more like something cosmetic, like a new anno.

WenULiVeUdiE
12-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Most of the time they are just trying to draw people into their threads. I don't care if I see someone use the "word" "ups" or "custom" in their title. It just makes finding what I want quicker and easier.

The only thing I find slightly annoying is when someone says NIB with 2 cases through it. They can say NIB if they only opened it to take pictures.

Basically, I dont care much, if at all.

UTDragun
12-06-2005, 09:28 PM
PBN did make a NIB forum, but it's only for markers still in their original packaging untouched -- ie. shrinkwrapping, etc.
I believe they do it for more than markers dont they? they used to atleast.

something in its original packaging untouched is what makes it NIB

mobsterboy
12-06-2005, 09:55 PM
havent you heard? The words "custom" and "upped", no matter how untrue they are, raise your chances of sale by 20%
then again, 90% of most statistics are made up on the spot ;)

Vicious6
12-06-2005, 10:32 PM
I heard someone compare paintballers to the "rice-tuner" car subculture.

It fits quite well, as many paintballers feel the need to purchase an entry-level marker and "customize" it to "high performance" (yes quotations will be used often in this post) via "upgrades" that are 99% of the time purely cosmetic. I mean, come on, is that aftermarket lpr chamber you bought for your Spyder REALLY going to make any noticeable difference over the stock one? No, but you think it looks cool.

Yes, there are those such as OtterSC who take their entry-level gun upgrading seriously. But there is a huge difference as I'd much rather purchase a marker that someone like himself turned into a formidable machine.... instead of buying one off a thread on PBN started by someone whose name is to the effect of pa1ntba||3r69 and is selling an "upped" gun which clearly only has a flame (well, flaming) drop-forward, stickers all over it, some more minor crap tacked on it and optional 18" barrel for any sniping you must do!

No, I'm not speaking out against cosmetically changing your marker. That would even be contradictory, as I'm a huge Mag fan and can honestly say I've never put one actual performance upgrade on any Mag I've owned (barrels excluded). Seriously, when ANYONE talks about upgrading an Automag, what are they upgrading??? The majority is changing out bodies or accessories. Rarely do people stray far from stock on their Mag's performance parts. (As they shouldn't, seeing how AGD did it right the first time)

onedude36
12-06-2005, 10:55 PM
No, I'm not speaking out against cosmetically changing your marker. That would even be contradictory, as I'm a huge Mag fan and can honestly say I've never put one actual performance upgrade on any Mag I've owned (barrels excluded). Seriously, when ANYONE talks about upgrading an Automag, what are they upgrading??? The majority is changing out bodies or accessories. Rarely do people stray far from stock on their Mag's performance parts. (As they shouldn't, seeing how AGD did it right the first time)

I disagree on you about the ule bodys being cosmetic. I can play better with a ule body than a stainless, not because of weight, but because of lower profile, and better field vision on both sides. I think it is a performance upgrade. Other than that i agree with you :)

Lohman446
12-07-2005, 09:04 AM
I love the 05/04 Shocker descriptions that then add

HE Bolt
"Nerve board"

And go on with more "upgrades" Wasn't the nerve board standard?

Steelrat
12-07-2005, 09:56 AM
A lot of people go for the flashy ads and language.