PDA

View Full Version : lighter bolt spring

11 Bravo
12-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Has anyone ever cut down a stock bolt spring for the lvl 7? I would think that this would increase efficiency, but I would be a little afraid that the bolt would strike the breach too hard. Has anyone looked into this or is the stock spring as lite as you can go?

11 Bravo
12-12-2005, 12:11 AM
20 people have looked at this and no one has a thought on it?

I am thinking lighter spring = lower operating pressure = going deaper into the tank.

athomas
12-12-2005, 07:24 AM
The lighter spring would be more efficient, but you will sacrifice the ability of the antichop. The amount of required input pressure would be lower but by a negligible amount, so shooting deeper into the tank wouldn't be very big gain. It would probably be better for not chopping than a stock level 7 though, and if it did increase the efficiency, maybe it should be looked at. Then we could hype the mag as low pressure operation.

Actually, if you want an interesting experiment, try using the longest spring on a level 7 bolt. I wonder what the effects would be.

11 Bravo
12-12-2005, 10:48 AM
This is for a lvl 7. I want to try it. I am switching to lvl 7 in one of my Xmags. I want to try cutting down the stock spring, but I am afraid that if the bolt hits too hard it may damage something.
Any thoughts on that?

Geoff Call
12-12-2005, 11:25 AM
I see where you're coming from.

If you cut the spring too low(past the bolt tip) it will be useless for returning the bolt all the way. If you're mainspring is worn out you'll see the same thing. They'll work for a little while but will stop returning properly. Let me know if we're on the same page.

IF your idea worked, putting it on an x-mag would be the best application because of the anti-chop eyes. Level 10 is for us po folks without x-mags:).

Geoff Call
12-12-2005, 11:29 AM
... And while I'm thinking about this. Cutting down the spring wouldn't damage anything theoretically because the bolt tip is always in the breach and it never goes behind it also the spring will not have any extra force on the return beause it is cut down. The spring is the same tension just different length. There will be however some slack in the bolt movement when the sear is released.

11 Bravo
12-12-2005, 11:40 AM
I wasnt really thinking about the resetting (wich is somehting to think about), I am more concerned about the bolt slaming forward too hard. As for the resetting I could cut down the spring and then stretch it, right? Or find a lighter spring the same size as the stock one.

Geoff Call
12-12-2005, 12:46 PM
I wasnt really thinking about the resetting (wich is somehting to think about), I am more concerned about the bolt slaming forward too hard. As for the resetting I could cut down the spring and then stretch it, right? Or find a lighter spring the same size as the stock one.

Modifying the spring in any way is going to weaken it. If the spring gets any lighter then you may risk the bolt slamming forward too hard. Plus you'll have some kind of recoil due to the change in bolt movement. They're pretty well balanced as is and I think a change in how it operates would negate this.

Also, the level 7 bolt is much heavier than a level 10 bolt. If you try to lighten the spring you'll just be making it easier to move a heavy object versus making it harder to move a lighter object (ie lvl10).

Why don't you just plug the hole in the level 10 bolt stem :wow: .

11 Bravo
12-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Okay a longer lighter spring. ?

Geoff Call
12-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Okay a longer lighter spring. ?

Longer/lighter is just like having shorter/harder I would think. The bolt still has to make the full stride for it to work. That stride may be easier if the spring is shorter and harder as opposed to longer and softer. I forsee a softer spring wearing out faster.

Think of 5 ounces of water in a tall thin glass and 5 ounces of water in a short wide glass. Same amount of water different application. Probably a bad example but it makes sense in my head. :cheers:

11 Bravo
12-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Depends on how lite the spring is. I am thinking the same length as the stock spring - just lighter.

Geoff Call
12-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Depends on how lite the spring is. I am thinking the same length as the stock spring - just lighter.

You may still run across the problem of the bolt not returning completely. But the idea is up in the air and free to test.

If you make the bolt lighter, you can make the spring lighter. So what will a lighter bolt do to the timing of the marker.

athomas
12-12-2005, 06:11 PM
As long as you don't take too much off the spring you should be ok. Only take part of a coil off. You won't have a big increase in forward force but you will have some. Remember, you will have to reduce the operating pressure to maintain the same velocity as before, therefore the forward pressure is also reduced.

Geoff Call
12-12-2005, 08:13 PM
As long as you don't take too much off the spring you should be ok. Only take part of a coil off. You won't have a big increase in forward force but you will have some. Remember, you will have to reduce the operating pressure to maintain the same velocity as before, therefore the forward pressure is also reduced.

<----- He is right. :D

11 Bravo
12-12-2005, 10:26 PM
AAAAhhhh forget it! I got my lvl 7 parts in today and tried it out with the stock spring. It didnt shoot any deaper into the tank than my lvl 10. As a matter of fact my lvl 10 did better at the bottom of the tank than the lvl 7.

So scrap that theory. :(

I also shot some brittle paint with the eyes on and the lvl 10 was alot softer on the paint. So I am sticking with the wonderful and amazing lvl 10.

Geoff Call
12-12-2005, 10:51 PM
All is well.