PDA

View Full Version : Toning barrel

ruffrhyder21213
12-12-2005, 03:40 AM
Hi i just bought a 21 in blemished barrel that has scratches on the inside and needs toning. If i just smooth out the inside with sand paper or something would it work better or do i need to get another barrell. Also, if there are any places that would tone my barrel, please alert me with a reply. Thnx

Recon by Fire
12-12-2005, 06:15 AM
Tone a barrel??? What ever your question is, it sounds like you need a new barrel. Do not use sand paper on the bore of your barrel.

Raven001
12-12-2005, 07:11 AM
I think he is asking if he can hone his barrel with sandpaper and the answer to that is no. You neet a special tool for that and some expertise in using it.

Don't know where you would send the barrel to get that done. You would have to check whatever your equivlant of the yellow pages is for people who do that type of work. I don't think it would be cheap. Better of just to buy a new barrel if the one you now have is of no use.

And in case you want to know what to buy, get a Custom Products single piece barrel. Cheap and good.

buzzboy
12-12-2005, 07:20 AM
And remember, Most 21" barrels are crap. Thank you and good night.

Glickman
12-12-2005, 07:39 AM
And remember, Most 21" barrels are crap. Thank you and good night.

whether or not they are crapily made, the length just hurts your accuracy

KayleAGD
12-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Hi i just bought a 21 in blemished barrel that has scratches on the inside and needs toning. If i just smooth out the inside with sand paper or something would it work better or do i need to get another barrell. Also, if there are any places that would tone my barrel, please alert me with a reply. Thnx

actually what you want to do is hone a barrel. there is a hone with a bunch of small ceramic balls on it to polish the bore.
a rag with car rubbing compound in an electric drill may also work.

11 Bravo
12-12-2005, 10:42 AM

Does it shoot bad because of the scratches? If not dont worry about it. If it does, you need to search and find a barrel hone.

BigEvil
12-12-2005, 11:34 AM
***DISCLAIMER***
I take no responsiblity for anyones stupidity for trying this.
(end of disclaimer)

Instructions for a ghetto barrel hone:

Materials -

1 electric drill
2 peices of WOOD dowel about 4" longer than the barrel that you are going to ghetto hone.
a few good peices of 0000 (Ultra-fine) 3M pads. This is the equivalent of 0000 steel wool.
A nice soft peice of cloth or barrel swab. I use a swab from a 12 gauge shotgun cleaning kit.
Mothers or some other metal polish
Duct or electrical tape

Take a small piece of the 3m pad about 3 inches long, and tape it to one end of the dowel.
Wrap it around nice and tightly, making sure that it will fit into the barrel with a slight amount of effort. If it doesnt fit, make the 3m pad smaller.

Take the other dowel, and do the same with the peice of soft cloth.

Attach the dowle with the 3m pad to a drill.

Slap a nice glob of Mothers Polish unto the 3m pad.

Put the pad/dowel into the barrel, (I prefer from the front end) and then start the drill spinning. Keep the ghetto hone moving evenly in the barrel. Do not polish in one spot for too long. Even though the 0000 pads will barely be removing any metal from the inside or the bore, its best not to take a chance of creating a 'wide spot' in the barrel.

Stop after a minute or two, then wash the barrel out with warm water.

Once you have any residue out, then use the dowel with the cloth on it, but WITHOUT the Mothers Polish. (Yup, stick it in there DRY sparky)
Use this one to shine the bore up.

If you have deep scratches inside the barrel, this will just smooth them out, not eliminate them. To get rid of them you would have to use a pad with a heavy abbrasive and that would definately RUIN the bore size of the barrel. (So DONT) The goal hear is to make sure the scratches arent affecting any paintballs you are shooting through tha barrel.

If you did it right, the inside of the barrel will be smooth and shiney, and you may even see a 'cross hatch' pattern on the metal.

If you didnt do it right you are screwed and I take NO RESPONSABILITY for your stupidity for trying something like this :spit_take

FSU_Paintball
12-12-2005, 12:11 PM
1. Cut off 9 inches of that barrel
2. Polish

Or, just buy another. Try a 12" or a 14" barrel; your results will be better. Lapco and CP make very good low-price barrels. 21" just wastes air and gets in the way... and your accuracy won't be as good as the 2 barrels I mentioned.

hardr0ck68
12-12-2005, 12:54 PM
length wont hurt anything execpt gas efficancy. eck his balls will even average 9 inches or so more distance than a 12 inch barrel :rofl:

Really if you like that length; dont listen to these knuckle heads, they just have their panties in a bunch for one reason or another. 99% of barrel choice should be what your comfortable with. I wouldent immagin 21 inches unported would be any worse that a barrel kit with 3 inches of effective barrel than another 9 of porting.

warbeak2099
12-12-2005, 01:04 PM
length wont hurt anything execpt gas efficancy. eck his balls will even average 9 inches or so more distance than a 12 inch barrel :rofl:

Really if you like that length; dont listen to these knuckle heads, they just have their panties in a bunch for one reason or another. 99% of barrel choice should be what your comfortable with. I wouldent immagin 21 inches unported would be any worse that a barrel kit with 3 inches of effective barrel than another 9 of porting.

Sometimes I can't tell whether people are joking or serious.

ruffrhyder21213
12-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Well, the barrel is 21 inches but it comes in three pieces. I can split it up into two pieces and take of atleast 7 or 9 inches. in the last piece. But yeah i actually mean honing not toning sorry. I guess it might be better to buy a newer one, but i bought mine blemished and it only costed 15 bucks. i guess thats what i get for being cheap