PDA

View Full Version : Need some suggestions for bass.

Gunther_mag_user
12-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Well I just learned anesthesia up to where the drums kick in, and I have no idea what to learn next. I've only been playing for like 6 months, so I am not the greatest. Also, the bass I have sucks and I want a new one. Any suggestions? I would really like a nice 5 string. Oh, and a good amp that would work well for a guitar and bass. Help me out. :cheers:

ThePixelGuru
12-15-2005, 03:21 AM
Learn Mario.

Edit: Oh, thought you meant what songs to learn... Yay reading AO late at night.

wad04
12-15-2005, 10:24 AM
how about you give us a price range.

Lohman446
12-15-2005, 10:42 AM
The jointed Rapala lures tended to work best for me, but my buddy likes to use plastic worms.

/Couldn't resist :D

quik
12-15-2005, 11:37 AM
PURPLE WORMS 4 LIFE

dave p
12-15-2005, 12:37 PM
advice:
learn music, not just songs. once you learn even a little theory, picking up songs gets much easier. its the difference between being given a fish, and learning to fish. learning bass 1 song at a time is the hard way around. dont get me wrong, its just as important to learn songs you like and noodle around. thats what keeps it fun. but start learning the ins and outs of theory now and your progress will be swift.

for a bass, get an american brand name(or maybe a higher end yamaha). play it first and make sure you like how it plays, not just how it looks. there are many advantages to buying used. if i were on the market right now, id be looking at another rickenbacker 4001 or a stingray, but thats just me.

for amps: well thats very subjective. for guitar and bass you may want to try out a gallien krueger backline 112. its small, inexpensive, 100 watts and has a killer distortion channel. it would get you by for practice and small jams until you were ready for something bigger.

Phil-Himself
12-15-2005, 06:27 PM
I caught you a delicious bass

Gunther_mag_user
12-15-2005, 07:23 PM
The jointed Rapala lures tended to work best for me, but my buddy likes to use plastic worms.

/Couldn't resist :D

Touche' ;)

advice:
learn music, not just songs. once you learn even a little theory, picking up songs gets much easier. its the difference between being given a fish, and learning to fish. learning bass 1 song at a time is the hard way around. dont get me wrong, its just as important to learn songs you like and noodle around. thats what keeps it fun. but start learning the ins and outs of theory now and your progress will be swift.

for a bass, get an american brand name(or maybe a higher end yamaha). play it first and make sure you like how it plays, not just how it looks. there are many advantages to buying used. if i were on the market right now, id be looking at another rickenbacker 4001 or a stingray, but thats just me.

for amps: well thats very subjective. for guitar and bass you may want to try out a gallien krueger backline 112. its small, inexpensive, 100 watts and has a killer distortion channel. it would get you by for practice and small jams until you were ready for something bigger.

I would really like to learn theory but I have no idea where to start. An instucter is unlikely at this point, so any books or sites I could use? Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Oh, and I have no real definate price range. Just throw out what you think would be good for me.

dave p
12-15-2005, 08:05 PM
'the improvisors bass method' by chuck sher
any carole kaye book
there are millions of others. all you need is a good book and you can start teaching yourself.

if you dont want to learn to read music (i cant read very well at all) you can still learn all this stuff. learn the major scale and its intervals. learn the three and four note chords associated with each interval of the scale. then go on to the modes of the major scale. its a good start and way way way easier than it sounds. the key to learning theory without reading music is pattern recognition and understanding intervals.

warwick makes a budget bass @ 700$ that looks pretty good. you can probably find a 5 string jazz bass used for @ 5-600

AGDlover
12-15-2005, 08:37 PM
If you wanna wicked looking cheep kinda guitar look into Warlocks I love em as for songs For whom the bells is an easy song also, Look at a band called Primus they have some funky bass.... "stuff" :ninja:

Automaggot68
12-16-2005, 12:19 PM
If you wanna wicked looking cheep kinda guitar look into Warlocks I love em as for songs For whom the bells is an easy song also, Look at a band called Primus they have some funky bass.... "stuff" :ninja:

First of all.
Unless you order custom or get a hold of one of the ORIGINALS (before Bernie Rico sr. died)the BC Rich line of instruments are complete crap.
Overpriced and underequipped. Some of the exectpions are the BICH,or some of the custom Mocking birds-ESPECIALLY the Koa Mockingbirds.
People need to stop looking at an istrument strictly because of the aesthetics.

As for primus type stuff, talk to Squid.

'the improvisors bass method' by chuck sher
any carole kaye book
there are millions of others. all you need is a good book and you can start teaching yourself.

if you dont want to learn to read music (i cant read very well at all) you can still learn all this stuff. learn the major scale and its intervals. learn the three and four note chords associated with each interval of the scale. then go on to the modes of the major scale. its a good start and way way way easier than it sounds. the key to learning theory without reading music is pattern recognition and understanding intervals.

warwick makes a budget bass @ 700$ that looks pretty good. you can probably find a 5 string jazz bass used for @ 5-600

Listen to Dave P, he's got the right idea.
Other things to look for are above all else -- comfort of play. Dont settle for somehting only 'looks cool',or you'll end up like AGDlover.

-=Squid=-
12-16-2005, 02:29 PM
I've got some spare bass gear lying around I would sell you mega cheap.

I have a 5-string Ibanez BTB in new shape, and a 200 watt 2x10" Yorkville combo amp. Both are for sale. PM me if you want prices, or any other info.

Because it appears that you are an intermediate player, I would check out some Rage Against the Machine and Primus. Both are relatively easy to learn, and fun to play.

SCpoloRicker
12-16-2005, 02:50 PM

O RLY?

Squid is your setup more beginner or intermediate? I know nothings about teh bass, but am also thinking of picking it up as a hobby.

wad04
12-16-2005, 06:23 PM
ratm and primus easy? ok probably rage, but primus? less calypool's technique is waaaay to advanced for a starting bass player or even intermediate.

wad04
12-16-2005, 06:24 PM
get a squire fender, they're perfect for the beginner and very inexpensive. I played on one for 5 years until my old man bought me a sting ray.

if you want to get into slap bass, the sting ray is a great setup and has perfect tone to do so.

-=Squid=-
12-16-2005, 07:27 PM
ratm and primus easy? ok probably rage, but primus? less calypool's technique is waaaay to advanced for a starting bass player or even intermediate.Uhh... Not really. As far as slap bass goes, his work isn't that challenging for an intermediate.

Ricker - The bass rig I mentioned above is more intermediate, both items cost about 650 each. The amp is great for practices (it sucks lugging an 8x10" cabinet, plus a 6 space rack full of stuff to each practice), the bass is great for starting out or stepping up to something better than say... An Ibanez GIO ;)

If you have any questions about bass gear, or playing in general, I don't mind to help.

So I need to post up some pics and specs of my gigging bass rig :)

Gunther_mag_user
12-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Wheelman
01-01-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm picking up an Ibanez gsr200 soon, not quite as nice as my old soundgear but it'll work until I can get my Fender Aerodine.

Snoop around your local pawn shops. you can sometimes find some good buys there. few years back I found a brand friggin new Carvin Probass 150 head and a 1x15 Bass Cabnet for $120, sold it for $175 and bought it back last month for $100, guess I made out on that deal huh?

Stay away from Wal*Mart I think the guy who thought the first act Bass was a good idea should be shot in the street.

Also www.musiciansfriend.com is a good place to puruse and get some good ideas.

mr.mag218
01-01-2006, 06:40 PM
learn to play some buckethead. he rules on every guitar.

Cameo
01-02-2006, 10:27 PM
ditto the musicians friend web site...

my bf has a simple fender p bass that he replaced the pickup on and uses a sans amp and umm i forgot his main amp..(sorry). the p bass' you can get for a 150 and the pick up was around 130... made it sound alot better. the sans amp is getting to be very popular with bands. Alot of the local pittsburgh bands impliment it... I know that my bf is one to really really research his things and get what is rated the best for the money.

Spaztic Backman
01-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Loud Noises!

Muzikman
01-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Fender P-Bass is always a nice choice.

I would also get just a bass amp. Even a cheap bass amp will sound better than a bass amp that is also a guitar amp. I have always been a fan of Ampeg and Hartke amps, but they might be a bit out of your price range.

Gunther_mag_user
01-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks for all the help! I appreciate it!