PDA

View Full Version : MPA vs. Tabulature

i_baked_cookies
12-15-2005, 11:08 PM
I don't know if this is old or not, but the MPA is trying to ban tabulature sites on the internet. I don't know how many of you play guitar, but I bet every one who does uses tabs in one way or another. My favorite (and best) tab site is temporarly shut down becuase of this crap (www.powertabs.net).

Here's a link to the story. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm)

The way that this Mr. Keiser goes about saying his bullcrap really heats me up. This quote of course got my blood boiling:

"Mr Keiser said he did not just want to shut websites and impose fines, saying if authorities can 'throw in some jail time [for website owners] I think we'll be a little more effective.'"

I don't really understand how people like this exist. And the name of it has escaped my mind, but it is a forbidden power of the governemnt to jail someone for commiting a crime before it was actually a law. I think that would apply here. But anyways, this is bullcrap.

BeaverEater
12-15-2005, 11:26 PM
NOOOOO I love powertabs.net, but i havent been on there in forever. Thats really gay how they closed it down, people are really uptight about everything these days.

Lohman446
12-16-2005, 10:17 AM
I don't know if this is old or not, but the MPA is trying to ban tabulature sites on the internet. I don't know how many of you play guitar, but I bet every one who does uses tabs in one way or another. My favorite (and best) tab site is temporarly shut down becuase of this crap (www.powertabs.net).

Here's a link to the story. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm)

The way that this Mr. Keiser goes about saying his bullcrap really heats me up. This quote of course got my blood boiling:

"Mr Keiser said he did not just want to shut websites and impose fines, saying if authorities can 'throw in some jail time [for website owners] I think we'll be a little more effective.'"

I don't really understand how people like this exist. And the name of it has escaped my mind, but it is a forbidden power of the governemnt to jail someone for commiting a crime before it was actually a law. I think that would apply here. But anyways, this is bullcrap.

Posting intellectual property to the net without the owners consent has been illegal for some time, and subject to fines and/or jail time. So, where exactly is the problem?

i_baked_cookies
12-16-2005, 10:25 AM
The problem is that more than 50% of tabs are user-created. They listen to a song and interperate it in their own way. Besides, having tabs on the net is a way for people to learn others music and share ideas.

The MPA is concerned about cash, not about the artistic value of music.

Lohman446
12-16-2005, 10:28 AM
The problem is that more than 50% of tabs are user-created. They listen to a song and interperate it in their own way. Besides, having tabs on the net is a way for people to learn others music and share ideas.

The MPA is concerned about cash, not about the artistic value of music.

Nice sound byte. What about the 50% (or 40, or 10%) that are not user created? If you as the creator of something want to share it on the net, more power to you and others. And if someone else, with your permission, wants to put those together, great. However, putting things out there that are owned by the members of the MPA without there permission (and in fact despite there objection) is simply wrong, and illegal as well.

Eric Cartman
12-16-2005, 12:21 PM
It seems like the simplest solution would be to simply contact the owners of the intellectual property and get permission from them to post the tabs. If they give permission, then that's great. If they require a fee, then either pay the fee, or don't post their tabs. If they flat out refuse, then that's their right and you have to respect it. The site can continue to exist legitimately.

Lohman446
12-16-2005, 01:00 PM
It seems like the simplest solution would be to simply contact the owners of the intellectual property and get permission from them to post the tabs. If they give permission, then that's great. If they require a fee, then either pay the fee, or don't post their tabs. If they flat out refuse, then that's their right and you have to respect it. The site can continue to exist legitimately.

They likely objected to the posting of intellectual material before the sued... It's not like the "oops" defense applies. This is someone who somehow, attempted to justify the theft of intellectual material. yes, they should go to jail, eventually someone has to be the example and proof that the line is drawn.

Obviously I don't know a ton about the recording industry. The way to effect change is not through illegal methods however.

Eric Cartman
12-16-2005, 08:20 PM
They likely objected to the posting of intellectual material before the sued... It's not like the "oops" defense applies. This is someone who somehow, attempted to justify the theft of intellectual material.

Oh I get that. What I was trying to say was that the correct way to go about it would have been to get permission first before posting, then the site would be legit.

ShooterJM
12-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Wait. So providing lyrics to a song online is illegal? What a joke.

Lohman446
12-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Wait. So providing lyrics to a song online is illegal? What a joke.

This has to do with the music (as in the written music, not sure what its called) I beleive, but yes, the lyrics are likely protected by copyright as well.

RRfireblade
12-17-2005, 11:02 AM
All the tab sights I've frequented are user posted tabs and credit given to the poster...where else would you get them from? Only other way is to buy the books and when you do that you may do with them as you please as long as you don't republish them for monetary gain.I believe all I've been to also have disclaimers as to the accuracy of such tabs due to the fact they are not offered by the publisher.

Not sure where the problem is with that. Besides ,I don't believe there's anyway way to tell where the tab came from in any case so there can't likely be legal action against it , it's not like people are mailing in photocopies of the book pages. ;)