PDA

View Full Version : New to Automags and would like help.

NinjaoftheNight79
12-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Hi. My Name is Jason. I am new here. I am not quite familiar with how things work here, so Im kinda on my toes. I am soon to be an Automag owner. Im getting a Tac-One very soon. I tried to find something about this with the search buttom, but found nothing, so if I didnt look hard enough and something like this is stickied, feel free to post a link for me. I wanna know what kind of mods can be done to a new Automag to give it the best performance without any aftermarket products. For example, Tippmann markers last longer if you polish the internals. What kind of things can I do to a Tac-One that would keep it running longer or better. If there are none, I am very sorry. I am new here and to mags, and I just thought I would try to find something out about them before it arrives at my house.

P.S. I am also sorry if this is in the wrong place. I am not very familiar with this forum yet.

etjoyride
12-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Well, there are a few "mods" that can be done to lighten the trigger pull a little more, and small things like that. However, the only thing that you really need to do to keep an automag working good is drop some oil in the valve where it says -oil- every now and then. Also i would suggest tuning the lvl 10 and ult a bit when you first get the mag so that it runs the best you can get it. If you are coming from tippmann's then you should have no problem adjusting to mags. AO is full of helpful people, so just ask.

GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO AUTOMAGS.ORG

NinjaoftheNight79
12-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Thank you very much. I havnt really seen my Tac-One out of the box yet, or read the instructions, but I should very soon. I do currently have two Tippmanns, and I really doubt I will have a problem adjusting to automags. I adapt well. I am glad to here that there are many helpful people here. You have to be selective of who you talk to in order to find helpful people some places. I am a helpful person ussually, and hope to be a helpful person here once I am used to being here and break off my new guy status.

Army
12-22-2005, 05:38 PM
There are NO trigger mods that will increase performance. The TAC comes with an RT valve, which is already the fastest mechanical valve out there. Learning your gun will be the best way to shoot fast.

The -OIL- holes do nothing, go nowhere. If you have a screw on tank: remove the barrel, drip in 5-6 drops of oil into the ASA, screw on tank, dry fire 20-30 shots, wipe off excess oil from chamber area, replace barrel, go hunting.

If your tank does not come off, simply remove the air-line from the valve (or ASA) and drip in the oil.

You can also remove the valve assembly; remove bolt assembly; remove back half of valve assembly (un-screw it); remove on-off valve assembly. Put oil onto all seals you see on valve assembly. Put oil into power-tube (what the bolt was inside of). Put oil into the on-off assembly hole. Re-assemble all parts, wipe off excess, air up and dry fire 20-30 shots, replace barrel, go hunting.

AND------ Welcome to AO!

NinjaoftheNight79
12-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks. I wasn't really too worried about speed, I did buy that ULT for a reason ;) . I just kinda wondered if there was any problems with a pure stock marker that can be cheaply fixed with things such as paint thinner, loctite, teflon tape, etc. I am new to this, so I dont really know.

punkncat
12-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Welcome to the forum. Automags are great. Very reliable and sturdy just like your Tippys.

A bit of a warning. When you first get your Tac you will have to break in the lvl10. It should work fine at first. After a few thousand shots it will start to leak down the barrel. This is a perfectly normal process of the breaking in of the carrier oring for the bolt. After a bit of wearing in it will settle down with one of the smaller carriers and give a good service period before needing adjustment again. Don't be sparing with the oil either. Mags like it....:)

As far as home mods for performance there are none that really help anything. There is no hammer to polish. The sear works best w/o modifications. The bolt isn't really upgradable after lvl10(not that it really was before either).

NinjaoftheNight79
12-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Welcome to the forum. Automags are great. Very reliable and sturdy just like your Tippys.

A bit of a warning. When you first get your Tac you will have to break in the lvl10. It should work fine at first. After a few thousand shots it will start to leak down the barrel. This is a perfectly normal process of the breaking in of the carrier oring for the bolt. After a bit of wearing in it will settle down with one of the smaller carriers and give a good service period before needing adjustment again. Don't be sparing with the oil either. Mags like it....:)

As far as home mods for performance there are none that really help anything. There is no hammer to polish. The sear works best w/o modifications. The bolt isn't really upgradable after lvl10(not that it really was before either).

Ya, I know about the carriers. I ussually talk on Spec Ops Paintball, and some people there have Automags. As far as mods, I did hear about an old mod that used to be done one Automags (back when people used CO2 with a bunch of stuff to make it work). It was something like drilling holes so you can shoot faster without the reg starving. I would assume with the X-valve, that isn't the case anymore... I was just pretty much wondering. Thank you for all of the welcomes, I am already feeling very welcome here :dance:

punkncat
12-22-2005, 06:53 PM
an old mod that used to be done one Automags (back when people used CO2 with a bunch of stuff to make it work). It was something like drilling holes so you can shoot faster without the reg starving. I would assume with the X-valve, that isn't the case anymore...

Answer in bold.

The older classic valves supposedly had this problem. The 8 hole mod and later a crappy ANS reg spun from the supposed problem.

peewee
12-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Welcome to AO. We arnt as bad as thery say we are :argh: . Starting off witha Tac One that aint right!!! ;) You should start with an old beat up classic. :D

BigEvil
12-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Greetings and Salutations :D

+1 to the AGD family.

NinjaoftheNight79
12-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Starting off witha Tac One that aint right!!! ;) You should start with an old beat up classic. :D

Lol, I know it probably wasn't the best, but in the end it saves money. I made sure to check prices first. Though it would have been fun, being a good consumer seemed a bit smarter in this case ;)

I am proud to be here. I can see already this is a great forum.

Troen
12-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Answer in bold.

The older classic valves supposedly had this problem. The 8 hole mod and later a crappy ANS reg spun from the supposed problem.
hey, i had an ans valve, it worked fine :clap:

Pacifist_Farmer
12-23-2005, 06:43 AM
so if you post on Spec OPs...and you just bought a Tac-one

does that mean your going to be putting a Longbow on it? if so make sure you tell us all about it once you get a chance to really use it, otherwise enjoy a superior marker

automikey
12-23-2005, 08:23 AM
I went from an A5 to a tac-one.

Keep it well oiled.

You don't need any internal mods. If you have the ULT, I sugegst you try to outshoot it before modding any sears or such. I bet you can't.

If you bought it from a good dealer like Tuna, then you saved a 1/2 case of paint since it probably came tuned already.

I'd like to meet someone who actually uses the longbow regularly. Wait, I'll bet there's one, but probably not two people. I have a $5, 40-round hopper that does everything the longbow does, essentially.

Before long it will leak down the barrel, but it will stop when you hold the trigger in. You can play the rest of the day like that, then later change theh carrier o-ring. easy to do.

"paint thinner, loctite, teflon tape, etc"- what the heck were you fixing before? The inside of your tippmann should only get Mother's Metal Polish.

You will need to get a good drop forward, etc.

Many people like my setup. Email me and I'll send you pics.

NinjaoftheNight79
12-23-2005, 12:40 PM
As far as my A-5, I used paint stripper to remove the overspray paint, and I polished it up with NevrDull (that works wonders on metals) that I bought at wal-mart. As far as loctite I was thinking about puting some weak loctite on the body screws to keep them tight, and on the velocity screw so the velocity doesn't change in the game (a huge problem for me, my velocity changes and have to rechrono every game in fear of accidentally shooting hot.). I applied Teflon tape to some of the air system threads to give me that feel of added backup airtightness (for lack of much better terms). I dont plan on getting the longbow, but there are tons of people who may be able to tell me, and then I could post it over here. I ordered mine with the new milled out tac-rail (the old wingless ones had the holes to let you use the stock or the AGD Sightrail, but the new ones dont). I could probably get a review of it for you. I know a few people. The guy from WebDog Radio (Rob "Tyger" Rubin) talks on Spec Ops forums alot. He owns an E-Mag, and a regular Longbow. He might already talk on here, but I am not sure. I will try to get a review from him.

P.S. What is a really good drop forward that most people find comforteable. I have seen many. I plan on getting a NitroDuck 68cu 4500psi TuffSkin Tank with an X-Stream adjusteable reg. I like compact, but I do want to use my tank as a close (closer to my body than a regular) stock.

nate2k191
12-23-2005, 12:58 PM
P.S. What is a really good drop forward that most people find comforteable. I have seen many. I plan on getting a NitroDuck 68cu 4500psi TuffSkin Tank with an X-Stream adjusteable reg. I like compact, but I do want to use my tank as a close (closer to my body than a regular) stock.

You should check out the Official Automag Pictures thread (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2055348&highlight=official+automag#post2055348) here. i suggest you start at the last page and move backward. newest first.

It should give you an idea of what you can do with mags, and how people approach them.

Have fun with your mag- Theyyyyy're GREAT! :headbang:

NewbieMagMan10988
12-23-2005, 07:58 PM
Welcome to AO! As long as you keep you mag oiled and clean, it will be happy. I never had a problem with my mag, and it was an OLD 86 classic. I wouldn’t worry about doing any home mods, Tom did a good job making them (if it aint broke, don’t fix it).

Good luck with the new mag!

Mike

automikey
12-24-2005, 12:14 AM
I plan on getting a NitroDuck 68cu 4500psi TuffSkin Tank with an X-Stream adjusteable reg.

I had one and it was no better than a preset tank, mags like a higher input pressure and my tank didn't go much over 900 even though it was supposed to go higher. Only get this if you have another gun that you need to run on a lower input pressure. If you really want to run your mag on 1000psi+ for super-reactivity, get a more expensive tank like the Max-flo.

I have a nice 68/4500 preset for sale, but that's not why I said all this. I sold off my NitroDuck 45cu 4500psi TuffSkin Tank with an X-Stream adjustable reg since I really had no need for it. I use a preset 45/4500 when I want a big tank.

I think I have a NW drop and a Hybrid pushbutton ASA. I'll send you some photos.

Tyger
12-24-2005, 02:01 AM
so if you post on Spec OPs...and you just bought a Tac-one

does that mean your going to be putting a Longbow on it? if so make sure you tell us all about it once you get a chance to really use it, otherwise enjoy a superior marker

I've got a Longbow, pretty good stuff. It's stock class with a "bonus", which is the best part. I need to use better paint, as the stuff I used with it SUCKED. If you want a full review, I'll post one here.

-Tyger

professor_chaos
12-24-2005, 01:26 PM
I recently watched some of your "Tyger" first person videos with the emag, tac, and pump which was pretty cool. I've seen the longbow but not in action. Here is the link for others to enjoy more of Tygers videos.

http://webdog.specialopspaintball.com/video/fps/ FPS 3.1 for longbow vid

Sorry if it's a bit off topic but someone said longbow and Tyger has a video and everyone loves videos.

NinjaoftheNight79
12-24-2005, 01:49 PM
I recently watched some of your "Tyger" first person videos with the emag, tac, and pump which was pretty cool. I've seen the longbow but not in action. Here is the link for others to enjoy more of Tygers videos.

http://webdog.specialopspaintball.com/video/fps/ FPS 3.1 for longbow vid

Sorry if it's a bit off topic but someone said longbow and Tyger has a video and everyone loves videos.

WebDogRadio is awsome, but if you want a review, Tyger said he would post one (above your post). I learned a lot from all of the Tip Clips.