PDA

View Full Version : What's the most quiet gun? Only answer if you know!

automikey
12-23-2005, 09:04 AM
I'd like peoples' opinions on which guns are really quiet. Please only post if you have good knowledge. Saying "my 'trix is quieter than my friend's cocker" won't give us much information. Try to include marker year and model info, barrel, co2 or hpa, and a analysis of your test conditions. Ideally you own the markers yourself and can actually go out and do some testing for us. Also, I have (among others) a Phantom and a Tac-one with CCM/Stiffi barrel, if you can compare to either of those markers.

I'm considering buying a Nova, but I'm concerned about repairs and parts, so I want to know if there are other good options.

Also a quick comment on the weight of the setup.

Lohman446
12-23-2005, 09:09 AM
I'd like peoples' opinions on which guns are really quiet. Please only post if you have good knowledge. Saying "my 'trix is quieter than my friend's cocker" won't give us much information. Try to include marker year and model info, barrel, co2 or hpa, and a analysis of your test conditions. Ideally you own the markers yourself and can actually go out and do some testing for us. Also, I have (among others) a Phantom and a Tac-one with CCM/Stiffi barrel, if you can compare to either of those markers.

I'm considering buying a Nova, but I'm concerned about repairs and parts, so I want to know if there are other good options.

Also a quick comment on the weight of the setup.

I know Matrixes with dwells modified down are extremely quiet - I have a friend with one set at low dwell with a Lucky 15 barrel and when I shoot it I question if it fired. Its much quieter than even my Matrix (stock).

The Matrix is quieter than varios markers I have owned in the past - Shockers, Mags, Ions, Timmies.

Dirge
12-23-2005, 09:15 AM
ICD Freestyle with 16" CP. Very quiet.

automikey
12-23-2005, 09:29 AM
ICD Freestyle with 16" CP. Very quiet.

Ummm...very quiet compared to a Tippmann A5, or very quiet compared to a Nova 700?

I appreciate the reply, but if you post please include enough information so we can make a qualitative analysis of the marker. You'll also probably need to compare it to another marker setup, so we all have something to work from.

Lohman446- thanks, that's a good start.

azzkikr
12-23-2005, 09:53 AM
the original shocker with the stockk 16in all american

Maghog
12-23-2005, 10:43 AM
I was gonna say the same as azzkikr....now which is the loudest?

Can anyone remember the Vector?

Temo Vryce
12-23-2005, 11:03 AM
The loudest? Stock VM-68 Magnum with 2 or 3 industrial thread spools on the barrel. It's something that you have to hear to believe. It's great for scaring the pants off of rec players.

Dirge
12-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Ummm...very quiet compared to a Tippmann A5, or very quiet compared to a Nova 700?

I appreciate the reply, but if you post please include enough information so we can make a qualitative analysis of the marker. You'll also probably need to compare it to another marker setup, so we all have something to work from.

Sorry about that. Way quieter than a A5 and blow backs in general. Quieter than a Mag, Nova ( I have used one before ad they are quieter than most) Timmy, Cocker, Bushmaster, Impulse, Ego, A4and IR3 (all common markers that I have shot/been shot with). Not sure about a 03+ Shocker. Not popular around here.

WARPED1
12-23-2005, 11:17 AM
I remember one tourney at Survival New York in like 1997, one guy had an old Shoebox Shocker, we couldn't hear it unless you were standing right next to him.

Little_Ho
12-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Hi I own a Nova700 a friend of mine too.

They are very quite. all you hear is a dug-dug sound. If i get my Camera back ill post some movies without Paint. in a quite surrounding. They are quite and very Accurate no matter if you use Co2 or HPA. I think they perform a little bit better with Co2. Al least you get more shoots out of it. And with a Operation pressure of 95Psi very nice........

The true thing is, parts. O-Rings not really a big issue because get a O-Ring kit and you will find the ring you need. As far for Upgrades, its an Pneumatic Marker. The only upgrade you really can find are Barrels. I cant remember where, but ask around....

To compare the Nova700 with my others:

B2K5 with Armson13inch Barrel very loud, but not as my Cocker.
The Mag gives you more like a banging noise with a Hammerhead Barrel (10inch)
VF Tactical Cocker lound with a Hammerhead 10inch
Cocker Pump more quiet no matter what Barrel it sounds like a burb.
Pump Mag ist quite the a standart mag why????? i think because of the waiver spring on the Bolt.

But dont forget that any Marker can get quite if you shoot it with or without Paint. I personel like the Nova700 for Sniper role and its a Good Scenario Marker because its accurate can use CO2 and HPA and its quite and the most people asking whats that??????????

Little_Ho

MarkM
12-23-2005, 11:35 AM
The Quietest current marker would be the Cyborg06, totally stock no extras, not a different barrel. there is a review in the current PGI but it is obvious from the review that the tests were simply go and fire it round the back not in real game time like I did, it is the first marker I have fired that I want to own in a long long time, I have played with Timmys and not wanted one, same with Impluses but this marker is simply great. The review comments on the height, well, it is the same height as my Angel just laid out slightly different...again it points to a percieved review not an accurate one. It even missed in the review the Ram design which is so so simple, my only dislike is the bolt pin but then that is something you get used to. Speed wise I turned off the ramping to fire straight semi and it was still well fast enough.

OneEyedPimp
12-23-2005, 11:44 AM

There was a guy at my local field who had a FS7 that he was dry firing in the parking lot, with his barrel condom on, and I was 2 feet away from him and all I heard was pst, pst, pst. Pretty amazingly quiet.

Dirge
12-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Amen.

LudavicoSoldier
12-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Properly tuned trixes are deathly quiet. The quietest gun I have ever heard though is an oldschool shoebox Shocker. All you could hear is the gun cycling and paint breaking on target.

WARPED1
12-23-2005, 12:05 PM
Hi I own a Nova700 a friend of mine too.

They are very quite.

Quite what? Quite quiet?;)

MarkM
12-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Quite what? Quite quiet?;)

So he made an error...you knew what he meant, leave it alone.

WARPED1
12-23-2005, 12:13 PM
So he made an error...you knew what he meant, leave it alone.
Was just teasing, notice the smiley? Damn, you guys are always looking for a fight where there isn't one! I can't help it if I was an English major at one point and misspelling and real bad grammar bug the crap out of me!

Dirge
12-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Automikey. Where in upstate NY are you out of?

MarkM
12-23-2005, 12:17 PM
Was just teasing, notice the smiley? Damn, you guys are always looking for a fight where there isn't one! I can't help it if I was an English major at one point and misspelling and real bad grammar bug the crap out of me!

I saw the smiley and also knew you were being gently sarcastic but very often the little digs about peoples spelling and punctuation of lack of it thereof escalates into a whole new threadjack so better to say something now rather than wait until all the accusations of "but he started it etc"

WARPED1
12-23-2005, 12:18 PM
I saw the smiley and also knew you were being gently sarcastic but very often the little digs about peoples spelling and punctuation of lack of it thereof escalates into a whole new threadjack so better to say something now rather than wait until all the accusations of "but he started it etc"
In that case, sorry.
Another quiet gun I had was an early Angel LED.

UTDragun
12-23-2005, 12:54 PM
top5 most quiet guns I have shot, in no order
ion
fs7
dm6
nova700
cockers arent bad either.

WARPED1
12-23-2005, 01:03 PM
cockers arent bad either.
Except for the backblock going "CACHUNK CACHUNK CACHUNK".
I remember the Vector, never shot one, there was a waiting list 12 miles long............The PMI3 was loud.

68magOwner
12-23-2005, 01:21 PM
im going to have to go with my old shoebox. Like others mentioned, all you could hear was the bolt cycling, thing was QUIET. Although, since matrixes are huge around here, have heard them set up an infinate # of ways, and, some of them are darn quiet as well.

hardr0ck68
12-23-2005, 01:26 PM
I remember the Vector, never shot one, there was a waiting list 12 miles long............The PMI3 was loud.

I had a friend who would set his backblock not to hit; so when the market was cocked and ready to cycle there was daylight between the block and body. That cocker never shot right; ever....maybe this was part of the problem :p

Im no SP fan; but man those shoeboxes were silent with a 18" AA barrel on it. I would hear the paint breal on the hyperpipe around me and wonder where TF it was comming from!

hitech
12-23-2005, 01:32 PM
My original phantom pump. :wow:

:cheers:

AGDlover
12-23-2005, 01:37 PM

mm a cocker... sounds more like SICK KA SICK KA SICK KA.

I think the quietest are well tunes and uped DM3's

ojhspyro89
12-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Cockers are very loud from my expireince. The loudest part is the back block hitting the gun body or your face. I hate them...

Anyway, my gen 2 freestyle wasnt that loud, it was fairly quiet with no HE. Im waiting on my FS7, Ill see how quiet it is ;) .

as for loudest... hrmmm

Some kids old B2k that he was running on co2 through those old regs that could only take like 400 input...

slade
12-23-2005, 04:54 PM
when you time a cocker you are supposed to screw the backblock on until it touches, then screw it out once or twice. you should be able to slide a piece of paper in between the backblock and body. you should not be able to hear it hit the body while you shoot.

generally a gun thats low pressure will be quieter, and the longer the dwell the quieter it is (except for spool valves). most of the guns people have named are just about the quietest you will find. why does it matter though? noise should not be too big of an issue, plus the barrel probably has more to do with it than the gun itself (with most markers). at the one scenario i played, there was a guy with a pump that had a homemade silencer. all i heard was a "fft" each time he shot.

NinjaoftheNight79
12-23-2005, 05:10 PM
The most quietest marker I have ever heard of was a home made marker made out of two pop bottles (cant remember which ones), with a spyder barrel taped of the front. Not accurate or consistant, but shoots legally. Probably isn't even considered a marker, but it is silent ;) .

Cow hunter
12-23-2005, 05:18 PM
while goofing off with friends we put 5 ft long PVC pipe on the barrels and it made a wierd noise, like sliding noise almost.... but dropped the noise considerably too

peewee
12-23-2005, 06:09 PM
I have owned both an old shoe box shocker & Freestyle. Personally I believe that my freestyle is quieter. Seriously you cant hear it when just a few feet away. Cause you can never quite get rid of that giant sucking sound from your air tank :eek: when running a shoe box. :D

fullofpaint
12-23-2005, 08:54 PM
I have shot three extremly quiet guns.

1st: 68 Magnum with homebuilt "raincover" ;) almost no sound, my dad borrowed this form the field owner for a pump day and as he's our concelaed(sp) position shooter he got quite a few hits without them knowing where he was.

2nd: My dad's Tac1 with a 16" stiffi. I'm not sure which of these two was quiter but it's dead silent

3rd: My DM5 wiht extremly low (I think it's 3 turns in) lpr and dwell. NOt as quite as either of the other two but it's a lot faster :)

NinjaoftheNight79
12-23-2005, 11:53 PM
2nd: My dad's Tac1 with a 16" stiffi. I'm not sure which of these two was quiter but it's dead silent

I am personally thinking about buying a Stiffi for mine sometime next year. I hear Tac-Ones are quiet as it is, but even more quiet would be great :D

automikey
12-24-2005, 12:38 AM

Shouldn't it be "...really bad grammar..."? I wouldn't have asked if you didn't say you were an English Major. :)

Thanks everyone for the help.

azathoth300- I'm southwest of Syracuse and south of Auburn.

Slade- I'm practically invisible in the woods, the gun gives me away.

I have a Tac-One with Stiffi and a Phantom, I guess I should have someone shoot them at me and see how loud they really are.

When I first started playing I was in a speedball game witha guy who's marker went "pfft-pfft-pfft" when ours were going "pop-pop-pop". I can't get that out of my head. If you weren't looking at him, you wouldn't know who was firing.

If anyone has more comments, keep them coming. I'm going to compile a list soon.

Death of Rats
12-24-2005, 01:00 AM
Most silent paintball marking device I have ever used would have to be the almighty slingshot. Float like a butterfly sting like a bee. Beware me for I am Dennis The Menace.

space_weazel_45
12-24-2005, 04:23 AM
supper quiet
http://www.surefiresuppressors.com/
:D

automikey
12-24-2005, 07:48 AM
supper quiet
http://www.surefiresuppressors.com/
:D

Supper quite indeed!

Now how do I attach that to my slingshot?

shartley
12-24-2005, 08:20 AM
I was gonna say the same as azzkikr....now which is the loudest?

Can anyone remember the Vector?
Remember them? Heck on MCB you almost can’t move without tripping on one.
:headbang:

;)

Maghog
12-24-2005, 08:24 AM
What's MCB?
I loved my Vector, and was always sorry that I sold it.

shartley
12-24-2005, 08:41 AM
What's MCB?
I loved my Vector, and was always sorry that I sold it.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
Stop in and have a look around. Lots of old school goodies there. :cheers:

slade
12-24-2005, 09:46 AM
Shouldn't it be "...really bad grammar..."? I wouldn't have asked if you didn't say you were an English Major. :)
no, "really" would stress that its very bad grammar. he meant that it was REAL bad grammar, as opposed to, you know, the FAKE kind of bad grammar. like yoda. and stuff.

shartley
12-24-2005, 10:53 AM
I thought “bad grammar” was a 95 year old woman who was really mean. :confused:

punkncat
12-24-2005, 11:10 AM

Only if the backblock isn't properly adjusted would it be really pronounced.
There should be about a matchbook cover space between the block and body when forward.

The quietest marker I have ever owned was my DM3 w/ the 14" AA barrel. I used to love going to scenarios, finding a thick area near a well travelled path, become the bush and just wait for prey to walk by. I could shoot a string about 4 or 5 long and people had no clue where I was.

Had a friend with an older cocker that was so quiet all you could hear was a faint snap if you were right beside him. I am unsure of the setup, but he used to keep everyone stiched up. Be walking along and all of a sudden you are in a hailstorm of paint from nowhere.

Have to say Nova's are very quiet as well, even w/o paint.

Coralis
12-24-2005, 11:18 AM
hehe a spell checker would be a nice addition to the forums wouldnt it ?

$tevo
12-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Im pretty sure the Armson pump is pretty quiet..if you call shotguns quiet haha

paint magnet
12-24-2005, 02:50 PM
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
Stop in and have a look around. Lots of old school goodies there. :cheers:

Oh well, so much for the "do not talk about MCB" rule. :rolleyes: :ninja:

shartley
12-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Oh well, so much for the "do not talk about MCB" rule. :rolleyes: :ninja:
:eek:

Psycho Chicken
12-24-2005, 04:21 PM
A gun that is not being shot :rofl:

But is all reality my trix, and g7 fly (stock barrel) seem to be the quietest guns that I own. The barrel helps a heap as well my fav's are the 18 aa tip freak and the otp dream 3. I'm hoping to get a stiffi black mamba (for the g7 fly) for x-mas though, heard good thing bout them being real quiet.

phantomhitman
12-25-2005, 01:36 PM
proto/dm

automikey
12-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Is there a difference between the Proto matrix and Dye matrix?

Is there a big sound difference between a dm3 and dm5, for example? I don't care about shooting fast, just quiet.

Apparently while the sound of silence is gentle, the cost can be brutal. How much do I need to spend for a really quiet gun?

Lenny
12-26-2005, 12:18 AM

Amen!

I know I'm kind of late, but I figured you'd enjoy that from a soon-to-be English major. :headbang:

*chuckle*

buzzboy
12-26-2005, 08:49 AM
I have shot most blowback styles, DMs, Shockers, Bushys, Ions, Cockers and I have seen a Proto's. The quietest of all these guns was the 2004 vision shocker completely stock with the all american barrel. People always say that trixes are quiet but the shocker blows them out of the water.

Lohman446
12-26-2005, 09:02 AM
I have shot most blowback styles, DMs, Shockers, Bushys, Ions, Cockers and I have seen a Proto's. The quietest of all these guns was the 2004 vision shocker completely stock with the all american barrel. People always say that trixes are quiet but the shocker blows them out of the water.

I never recall my Shocker's being that extremely quiet. I think its as much the odd sound that Trixes make at low dwells and low LPRs. You kinda think the gun malfunctioned every time you fire it.

68magOwner
12-26-2005, 11:20 PM
I never recall my Shocker's being that extremely quiet. I think its as much the odd sound that Trixes make at low dwells and low LPRs. You kinda think the gun malfunctioned every time you fire it.

agreed about the shockers, never seen, or should i saw heard a really quiet one.

ANd about the trixes, your right, i was playing with an X-teammates DM3 a few years ago, and he turned and shot once or twice before the game to make shure everything was on and whatnot. HE shot, then turned and put his gun on the board.....i just stared at him and asked.....is your air not screwed in all the way? It sounded like the marker had done a half-shot or something of the sort, was odd.

phantomhitman
12-27-2005, 12:10 AM
Is there a difference between the Proto matrix and Dye matrix?

Is there a big sound difference between a dm3 and dm5, for example? I don't care about shooting fast, just quiet.

Apparently while the sound of silence is gentle, the cost can be brutal. How much do I need to spend for a really quiet gun?

For the money, you cannot beat a proto trix. I would highly recomend a dm4 over a dm3, and I would highly recomend a proto over a dm4. Their is a big difference between the dm3 and dm6, from looks to effenciency to weight to ease of maintenance. For less than $600 you can get a nice proto trix.

pachytriton
12-27-2005, 12:27 AM
If you really don't care about shooting fast-find an led matrix. They usually go for about $250ish depending on the gun. Shoots nice and quiet, but heavy and no eyes. With a good hopper you shouldn't have to worry about chopping.

benzy2
12-27-2005, 01:39 AM
The mags I have seen have been quieter than say a blowback but nothing that wouldnt give away a general position in the woods. The only new style shocker I have seen play in the woods again was quiet but not something you couldnt hear. It was with a freak if that helps any. I dont know if you will ever find a gun you cant hear, or at least I havent came by one. Make sure to find a ported barrel for whetever you want. It may not be efficient but a well ported barrel does a lot for sound.

dahoeb
12-27-2005, 10:20 AM
the quietest gun is the gun that doesn't work right and won't shoot. whats my prize? ;)

i thought my mag and some cockers were pretty quiet, but dm's, i think, are even more quiet.

automikey
12-27-2005, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=dahoeb]the quietest gun is the gun that doesn't work right and won't shoot. whats my prize? ;) QUOTE]

Since you answered without really knowing and then asked for a prize, the paintball gods have determined your prize to be this:

Next time you play, you'll have the quietest gun. ;)

FSU_Paintball
12-27-2005, 01:52 PM
I have a phantom with a 16" AA which is very quiet, but that's not exactly what you're looking for.

I have not tried an 06 Cyborg. With that in mind, the quietest guns I have ever tried was an 04 freestyle (the newer ones are a little louder, especially with the HR-1 kits) and the DM series. They are by far more quiet than just about anything else you'll pick up.

Keep in mind noise greatly depends on the barrel you use as well.

automikey
12-27-2005, 06:02 PM
I'd like to run a 22/3000 or 13/3000 tank and a 40 round hopper, and probably get a Stiffi kit.

So which is a pretty light matrix? Can I save some money if I don't need it to shoot fast?

I guess the newer the better, but maybe since I don't need it to shoot fast I can get by with an older model?

This should end up being light, small and quiet, but still be adequate for a short firefight.

Soopa Villain17
12-27-2005, 06:13 PM
stingray hands down

automikey
12-27-2005, 06:37 PM
stingray hands down

No way have you been playing long enough to know the answer- are you trying to sell me a stingray? ;)

Chris
12-27-2005, 08:36 PM
I picked up a Nova when it first came out, which was in late 1998. There were a number of guys at my local field who used Shockers, which was a very quiet gun. They were all impressed at how much more quiet the Nova was.

The Nova did sound a bit like a wet fart, but it was damn quiet. It is still quieter than any cocker, shocker, matrix...anything else that I have ever shot.

captian pinky
12-27-2005, 08:53 PM
i saw toss up between the sickest gat ever the :hail: nova 700 :headbang: :headbang:

the matrix's

shocker's

and cocker's

theres a kid at my field that can trick the crap out of a sniper 2 just using springs he polishes internals smooth light pump stoke and the gun is quiet as a mother right next to the nova :headbang:

Dark Side
12-27-2005, 10:10 PM
would a duel 12 gage tippy setup with chain gun crank be considered quiet?

automikey
12-28-2005, 08:08 AM
would a duel 12 gage tippy setup with chain gun crank be considered quiet?

Send it to me, I'll test it for you and send it back at the end of next season. I'll even cover the shipping.