PDA

View Full Version : Good inexpensive starter gun?

Azonic
12-11-2001, 11:23 AM
Hey guys... I'm looking to get into paintball, and I was wondering if you could recomend a good starter gun. I won't have a ton to spend, but I'd like something reliable and durable. Any suggestions would be great.

-Az

davej946
12-11-2001, 11:30 AM
Hey Man,
wlecome to the sport, you're gonna love it. As far as your first gun, I have one word...Tippmann. I suggest a Custom 98, VERY durable, VERY reliable, VERY easy to work with/on. Ver customizable, lots of upgrades available. I started with a 98, and moved on up to the Mag when I could afford it. You won't be disappointed with a Tippmann. You could run over them with a truck and they'd still work!

Good Luck throwin' the paint!

cphilip
12-11-2001, 12:54 PM
Tippmans is a good choice. Kingman Spyders do fine too. For the money the Spyder TL is a good deal. Saw Paintballgear.com has em for $129 + 10 ground shipping right now. You could get a decent sized CO2 tank, hopper and a nice mask from em shipped for under $200 like that.

But I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that if you can choke up $300 a Power Feed Mag is a real good choice though and gets you into the upper league right off the bat.

Russ
12-11-2001, 02:44 PM
I'd like something reliable and durable.

Well, I'm not sure how much you have to spend, but I feel that a used Mag is your best bet. Why?

Reliable and durable. Yep, a Mag is all that. Best customer service out there to boot.

Easy to service and maintain. All spare parts are readily available

Good resale value. (hear me out) If you buy a nice used Mag for $300, you'll be able to get $300 for it down the road. Try that with a Tippman or Spyder!

It can grow with you as you grow in the sport. If you buy a "cheap" gun, you'll most likely be upgrading it or replacing it shortly, at least that's how it was for me!

I picked up a nice power feed Mag on the AO classifieds for $200, w/o a barrel. I added a CP barrel ($50) and a VL200 cheapie hopper ($8). Add an air source (HPA for $100, Co2 for $40) and a mask ($40) your playing! :D So for around $400 you can get all set up with some real nice gear.

Here's my $200 special :)

MikeCouves
12-11-2001, 02:48 PM
I would also recommend Kingman and Tippmans. But seriously if you have the money, getting a mag is alot better than a Kingman or 98. First of all, alot of people think that Spyder's and Tippy's are ALOT easier to fix then mags. I would rather clean and fix a mag over any gun out there. It's reliable, fast, small/compact, easy to fix, and the customer service is incredible.

But if you don't have the cash Spyder's are cool too, I had a Shutter and it lasted me well, but I later wanted a mag :D.

Shaft
12-11-2001, 02:50 PM
I agree that a new or used Mag is the way to go.
I started with a Spyder TL which was a very nice gun for me. But it doesn't take much more money to go into a Mag. Especially since the prices have dropped on 'em.

I also recommend investing in excellent goggles. Don't skimp because you're just starting. V-Force Morph or Shield or even JT Flex 7 are the way to go.

Puddleglum
12-11-2001, 02:50 PM
I really like the older Piranha's. The Piranha Pro G2 is awsome. Look around and look on Pbreview.com for what has good reviews.

skipdogg
12-11-2001, 04:22 PM
:)

FeelTheRT
12-11-2001, 04:56 PM
Automags are the best starting guns! they are very cheap and preforms very nice.

RaV3n_Pa1ntba||
12-11-2001, 06:16 PM
a good starter gun would be a niced used tricked mag with nitro...you can find them on here...pbnation and pbcity in the forsale threads. You can get a nice setup for around 325 - 460 at most. And it will be one of the best paintball investments you ever made.

MAGgot Man
12-11-2001, 07:17 PM
I think the best gun for a beginner to get would the Indian Creek Design Alleycat...or Thundercat. Inexpensive, reliable, versatile, and very well made.

Take a really close look at it.