PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to Taking your Time

Puddleglum
12-11-2001, 12:02 PM
Paintball has become a sport of flashes, streaks, and milliseconds. The guns produced can put an entire case of paint on a bunker in 30 seconds. The question now is not "can you hit that guy" but "will you be able to tell that was a person when you're done?"

I remember when I was a Newbie, I could go a whole 5 games on 200 paintballs. I took my time and made sure of my shot. I guess you could say I moved:p But now we spend hundreds and perhaps thousands of dollars making our guns accurate and then don't even try to use the accuracy. Or we spend the money making our guns 'fast' and don't even try to make two or three shots count. Don't get me wrong, I love watching and eMag or A**el at work, its breathtaking. But we as paintball players ought to take some time, sit back and watch, and realize that paintball is not "one case one kill". If you've spent your money making your gun a consistant, accurate, paintchucking machine, use the accuracy. Don't just rely on probability to make you "better".

Well thats all my rambling, tear away.

beam
12-11-2001, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Puddleglum
... The guns produced can put an entire case of paint on a bunker in 30 seconds. ...

Let's see... 2000/30 = 66.66666666666666667 bps

WOW! Can I buy one of those markers!?!?!?!!? ;)

No seriously. I see your point, but paintball is like a lot of other things...people prefer different things. Some love woods, some will only play speedball wearing a bright colored jersey, others prefer both.

I think it is the people who enjoy both that get the most out of paintball.

Puddleglum
12-11-2001, 03:40 PM
Sorry about the math. What can I say, I'm failing high school algebra. But I agree with you on the perspectives of the individuals. And how they play.

headcase
12-11-2001, 04:04 PM
I agree with you that it is kinda crazy. I love technology, of any sort, and that is one the things that keeps me buying new markers, but just because I have 1500 set ups doesn't mean I spray paint, it just means I can if I WANT to. I usually go threw 1/2 a case a day, and I usually leave with some. Some games I shoot a hopper and a pod or two, some times 1/2 a hopper. I really don't like when people judge you because of your equipment. Just becuase I have an electro(E-mag on the way!! Bye, Bye Timmy!) with warp doesn't mean I'm going to through a hopper of paint at you on the break.

Later
SSDD

FooTemps
12-11-2001, 04:55 PM
I can usually last a whole day with 1/8 a case of paint. I never lay waste to a bunker if someone isn't popping out. I always fire 3 shots at a time max. It helps me regulate my paint. The only problem is that your paint gets stolen if you use it so slowly...

Vegeta
12-11-2001, 05:47 PM
My first game was at my friends house, we used BE Talons with 4x Daisy scopes (never needed) and 2 VL2000 hoppers (top of the line back then). The first two games ended in stalemates. no one shot anyone. I remeber seeing paint flying straght at me, yet breaking on trees before hitting anywhere around. that was in the woods. no fun. then we moved to an open, and i mean open feild. no trees. We started at the corners and rn at each other. that was the best 30 seconds I have ever had.

After that, paintball went from just being able to play, to an arms race between me and him. Who could get the best gun the fastest. About 6 months later, after playing countless hours witht that talon, my friend announces on my answering machine he is getting a Spyder. This goes back the the cold war. We thought the were getting nukes, so we made a load of them too. I Asked how lond, he said 1 week. I went out and bought a Model 98 the next day (i was planning this, just didnt expect it this soon). he said the Sonix, his "soon to be" gun was off the shelf, and he promised to haev it in ANOTHER week. then it was a month. he has been saying "ill have my gun in..." for 2 years. I spent 200$ on my 98, tank, gear, pods, case, etc. and he hasnt spent anythign. I was mad.. but.. I found other people to play with. people with 98's and spyders.

The arms race began again.
I am due to get my MiniMag in a month.

See how it is? Its a race to see who can get hte best guns and looks and power.. not how good you are. you could suck and have an cocker.. and people will still want you to play with htem cuase you LOOK good.

Oh.. this is funny:
This guy I know (arrogant as hell) says hes selling his Shutter. He says its too high maintnence. So then he says hes getting a cocker instead. (LOLOLOL!.. Shutter's maintnence compared to a Cocker! AH!HAHA!)

Then I ask if he knows about timing rods and the frotn blocks.. he looked totally doumbfounded, then came out with the MOST STUPID comment.. "But its full auto."

AH! HAHAH! MUWHAHAQ! A cocker full auto! he thinks cuase its called and AUTOcocker its a full auto! I tried my brains out to explain to him that it was a closed bolt (which I proceded to find out, he did not know what "closed bolt" meant) auto-chambering gun, where you pull the trigger once to send air through the 3(4) way and move the bolt back, then forward, chambering 1 ball, then its set to fire. He was so drowned in his ego that he would not accept my facts.

I hate these people.. but I have no local feilds.. so I am forced to play with them.

Oh did I tell you about the idiot that refused to wear a mask and ended up gettign shot in the forehead yet still preceded NOT to wear a mask?

Ill save that for later.

Vegeta
12-11-2001, 05:49 PM
that was long, and off topic sorta, sorry.
I go through about a case of 500 with thsoe guys.
I still try to conserve every shot, but sometimes you gotta 'spray n pray'

Mwmathes
12-12-2001, 06:05 PM
"To Each, his own." My Father once said, and while i personally dislike people who live by the "One Case One Kill" Approach, I can't force them to do without it. It took me almost 3 years to develop my own style of play. I believe that people go through 'stages of play'...

For me they were...

Newbie : (Wich end does the paint come out?)
Buck Fever : ANY Movement! FIRE FIRE FIRE
Semi-Auto Buck Fever : Enemy MOVEMENT! FIRE FIRE FIRE!
Semi-Auto : 3 Shots 1 elimination

Currently im playing at this level... now some people are different...

Phantom: ! ! ! Your gone.
68PFD With SP Freak : Quiet!

Now when i started playing, it was with a pump. And Like most i've gotten lit up when i was a newbie. From that point on I wanted a semi-auto, if just to get back at the guy who got me. Well ive got one, and the hardest thing was to go back to playing pump again. Then Again, a Phantom does help ;o) But i do agree, i'll get a lot of looks when i cary my unique stock harness, and Phantom into a open semi-game. Then again, a lot of people look down on the lower end semi's, such as spyders and M98's. I say be careful of the people with little firepower... there much more scarry.

Case in point:

Field: Beadlam USA
Place: Challenge Park Extreme

If you've played there, its a bout 600ft^2. Small map. One guy was holding his flag station (which was a trash can last time i was there.) He was shooting a Angel LCD with Warp and 4500 Angel Air. He was so tunnel vissioned into one lane of fire, that he didnt see me or my 'wingman' on his left. We got him with a simple army tactic, which was having my wingman run through an open space, with the goal of getting him to reveal a piece of his body. Sure enough he focused on my buddy, and i took him out with two in the chest.

Is he a better player because of equipment? I had a Phantom Stockgun, He had an Angel. You choose. No he lost that duel because we out "thought" him.

People tend to judge a player by their equipment, sadly this is a bad idea. I could be using a rental semi down on campus because my Phantom and Mag are at home in chichago, but then again ive been playin for the better part of 6 years. So i have an edge in experience, so what.

Its like playing pool against someone you don't know. How can you judge a player by the stick that they use?

Kinda long... but then again it needed 2 be said

~I will see you on the field, unless your a phantom as well... then let the games begin. ;o)
MWMATHES

Vegeta
12-12-2001, 09:22 PM
The feild let you use a stockgun with semi-autos? Isn't there a class rule about that?

Yea yea.. so he had an angel and you had a stock gun. Well.. you took your time and did it right. thats what really counts.

Of course.. he should have been using a Mag with a Flatline.. nto that Angel Air.. we all now thta post about Tom and those guys testign the recharge time of the Air.. phuthetic.

Mwmathes
12-13-2001, 09:16 AM
Stock Gun rules? Basically if you chrono at the limit challenge park doesnt really care what you bring out. Now dont get me wrong, you couldnt go into a "Begining Semi" game with a personal weapon, but you sure as hell can go into "Advanced Semi" with it. (At xtreme they don't rent pump guns, so there is no "pump class.") Usually my friend just goes in with a PGP, Nothin else... i believe that consists as stock class too ;o)

I never thought i'd say this, but i guess im a hardcore stock/pump player. But however i still love my mag for those scenario games ;o)

Veg...
Do you have a link to the Angel Air testing that AGD did?

I will see you on the field

MWMATHES

Vegeta
12-13-2001, 05:14 PM
It was posted by a guy who spent soem time with Tom after the Tech Class i belive.. "Informal Testing"

Link: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17048